What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.4 Clutch not going into 3rd? - Sticky Toffee
Hi, hoping that somebody can help me here. I have an 03 plate Fiesta with 75k on the clock. Recently when I try to shift into 3rd the clutch becomes stiff and wont budge. I have to drop it back into 2nd then take it into neutral and shake the stick, after this is loosens again and will go into 3rd.
This doesn't happen all the time though but there doesn't seem to be any connection between when it does do it?
Any help would be great. Thanks.
03 1.4 Clutch not going into 3rd? - graham3232
Hello,

I haven't had this problem myself but a friend had this problem on a Rover, it turned out to be a problem with the gear linkage between the lever and the box. There was a rubber bearing that had come loose, the rubber had split and because third gear was a backward move on the box it stuck whereas all other gears were to the side or back. This made the linkage stick on third only. It was a cheap enough repair. Get the car jacked up and have an assistant move through the gears while you watch the linkage move. The problem should be obvious. Failing this it could be an internal gearbox fault which would probably mean a new or reconditioned box.

Graham.