What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Motor break in, advice needed. - corblimeyguvnar
Greetings all, Daught got back to her motor tonight after a hard days toil and some scrote has smashed the side window and nicked a load of gear, including the satnav that I have told her 100 times not to leave in the glovey.
Question, anyone have a rough idea how much it will cost to replace, ie by a autoglass type company, unsure yet whether her insurance will be useful as would imagine it has a large excess (she is only 22).
If she does go down the insurance route, will she be able to claim for the nicked stuff?, and how much do you reckon it will affect her next quote, has 2 years NCB but this isnt protected.

Cheers all, I look forward to your comments, and if you get offered a cheap Tomtom 1XL from a bloke down the pub in the Southampton area, give me a shout so I can have a chat with him!!!

CBG

Edited by Pugugly on 13/10/2008 at 19:55

Motor break in, advice needed. - NowWheels
If you can find a local scrappie who has the glass, they'll generally be able to put you in touch with a local installer who'll do the job for a fraction of the cost of Autoglass.
Motor break in, advice needed. - Falkirk Bairn
Typically contents cover is limited to about £100 after the compulsory excess which is typically £100. - See your policy to check.

Really useless in my opinion to lose NCB for £100.

Get the window fixed and daughter will put her loss down to a lesson learned re keeping goods in the car.
>Get the window fixed and daughter will put her loss down to a lesson learned re keeping goods in the car.

You are probably right re the loss of NCB but as for the lesson learned bit, unfortunately I doubt it!

Cheers
CBG
Motor break in, advice needed. - Lud
Sorry cbgv, very tiresome. There are much cheaper firms than Autoglass on line, or NW's scrappie advice if there's one near enough.

My daughters tend to be a bit rough and insouciant with their cars too. And they won't listen.
Cheers Lud, already had a quote for £105+vat from an online company, sound reasonable?
Daughts buddies buddy works for Autoglass apparantly so hoping for a discounted quote from them, we shall see.
As you say very tiresome, not least the rigmorole of her getting to work for the next few days, luckily I cant take her as I have Man Flu.
And you are so right, they won't listen, nonchalant beyond belief.

Off to search Fleabay for Tomtoms recently listed in the Southampton area :-)

CBG
Motor break in, advice needed. - Galaxy
You should just be able to just claim on the insurance for the broken window; probably not worth claiming for anything else. Have to pay the excess for a glass claim, that's all. It's usually £50 or £60, so would be less than your quote. Of course, if a friend of a friend works for Autoglass then you might get it done even cheaper, so no need for even a glass insurance claim.

If you just claim for the window your daughter won't loose her NCB as glass claims are not considered.

Cheers Galaxy, will hook the insurance out and check the smallprint.

CBG
Motor break in, advice needed. - Blue {P}
My friend had his whole screen done on a Micra for about £150 by National Windscreens, they were very, cery competitive. Might be worth giving them a try, definitely not worth claiming for this though.

Motor break in, advice needed. - Ian (Cape Town)
Horrid stuff really.
The aggro of having to get new glass fitted, hoover up the chips of the old window (which you'll be finding bits of for years, by the way...), plus cost, should be a warning to your daughter.
Alarms don't help in thse situations - the vermin will be in and out in about 6 seconds, once he's grabbed the satnav and/or crowbarred out any non-standard radio.

maybe explain to daughter to remove satnav, take it with her (girlies carry handbags, don't they?) and make a point of keeping the car clean of all CDs, nickables like sunglasses, lighters etc, and *leaving the glovebox open*... so that the pondslime thieves can see there's nothing worth nicking...
The biggest problem with any satnav or removable-face stereo is that most folk are too lazy to take them along/lock them in the boot, so juts shove them under the seat/in the glovebox - and the scrotes know it.

Motor break in, advice needed. - cheddar
Is the satnav in question Bluetooth and was it switched on?

The scrotes use a Bluetooth mobile phone to find any nearby Bluetooth enabled device, that can include a mobile or satnav left in a glovebox or a laptop left in the boot on standby.

Better to take things with you though if they are left in the car switch them totally off.
Bluetooth off so I'm told, I reckon leaving the Satnav window mount on the screen may well have been the giveaway!!!!!!!, now I have told her 1000 times to remove it but as usual with kids she knows best, well not anymore.

As for Ians ideas about de-cluttering etc, thats what I do to some extent, thats what I've told her to do, especially do not leave anything on show, in particular the satnav mount.
She parks in a dodgy area of Southampton with no CCTV, told me a few times that she has seen broken screen glass in the car park, I warned her she could be next if she left clues that there is anything worth pinching in the motor, even sorted a parking space with a mate who owns a flat in the city but doesnt use his parking space, but that meant an extra 5 minute walk so didnt last long.
I give up, maybe this time she will have learned a lesson, but I very much doubt it.
Kids!
Cheers All
CBG

to be a bit rough and insouciant with their cars too. >>

Rough and insouciant should perhaps be mutually exclusive, insouciant is somehow kind of onomatopoeic and perhaps more appropriate for Sarah Palin?s daughter's plight where as simple careless better sums up CBG?s girl?s situation.

"careless leads to car less" is worth drumming home.
Motor break in, advice needed. - jc2
Even if you take away the mounting for the satnav,there usually a mark on the screen.
Motor break in, advice needed. - y2k+4
had this exact thing happen to me three weeks ago at Bham International Train station. Autoglass quoted £360, Autowindshield (check your yellow pages) charged £95 + VAT (£111 all together). Quick friendly service, definately the one to go for in my opinion.
Cheers Y2K, Autowindshield £105 inc vat, getting cheaper by the hour.

CBG
Motor break in, advice needed. - Alby Back
Not sure if it makes any difference to security but I more for convenience reasons have installed after market sat nav mounts low down on the console. Not expensive as I recall. Keeps the thing less visible. Bought mine from a company called Brodit I think. Looks neater too.
For convenience reasons have put a map in the seat back pocket. No concern over mounts and cables* not expensive. Looks neater too. ;-)

* except when sorting out mother-in-law's Blaupunkt thingy.
Motor break in, advice needed. - barchettaman
Vent mounts are available for about a tenner:

tinyurl.com/3ztfw4

(mods - link to an eBay item as an example. I have no connection with the seller)
Phoned Autowindshield and they can come today and fit, pretty darn quick service, still nothing from the police about taking prints though, which is not unexpected.

CBG
Motor break in, advice needed. - Falkirk Bairn
Years ago I told my boys to take things of value out of the car.

Not headed, car broken into and an empty computer bag stolen from the back seat, but say £60 for the glass repair.

When he told us but said it was of little value - £20 at most!

There was no laptop in the bag - he had taken it and left the empty carry case in the car and it was just bad luck as he had done "What I told him to do!"

i.e
" take anything of real value with you"

Doh!
Hopefully a lesson learned, making me think now about the CD case I leave in the door pocket!
Small bit of good news is the fitter has sorted it with the Insurance company and it will only be £60, definitely no affect on the NCB so all thats lost is £60 and the satnav.
Just spotted one being sold on Fleabay locally a few hours after hers went missing, probably a coincedence but keeping my eye on it anyway, you never know, maybe I'll take a look at it before I bid, wouldnt it be nice if it turned out to have the same serial number!

Cheers everyone for the advice and thoughts.
Backroom comes up trumps again.
CBG