What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - barleymo
Buying a Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 cz1 5 door 07 reg. Trading in Ford Fiesta 1.4lx 5 door 02 reg.

Dealer's offer: £2,500 for my car and £3k on top for the Colt.

The Colt has parking sensors (which I don't particularly want!) and air con (which I do want). The Colt was on for £6495, deal effectively makes the Colt worth £5495.

Good deal or not a good deal? Comments please.

I'm thinking of haggling for the £185 service package to be thrown in for free also.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - NowWheels
Good deal or not a good deal?

Do you really really want a Colt?

What does the Colt do for you which wouldn't be done as well by a 3yo Nissan Almera, of which there are lots on Autotrader at just over £3000. Is the Colt really worth the extra £2500?

(Disclaimer: I'm a satisfied Almera driver. Comfortable, reliable, untrendy car, which may not be your cup of tea, but I'm always rather puzzled why some people spend more money on a car which seems to me to do less than the alternatives)
YES I really I want a colt!! Have done a lot of research with about 5 models of car, and the Colt gives ticks all the boxes for me.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - T Lucas
Say to the dealer that you would really like to buy the car but only have 2k to spend inc the service package.Stay calm,if they say no,just politely thank them for their time and walk away.Just remind them that you are serious about buying this weekend.
They will either take your money,let you walk and get back to you later,either way you will save money.
> YES I really I want a colt!!

I'd much prefer to pocket the £2000+ price difference, mais chacun à son goût!
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - Alanovich
What does the Colt do for you which wouldn't be done as well by a
3yo Nissan Almera of which there are lots on Autotrader at just over £3000.

I'm a big Almera fan, but I doubt there's a variant which will be as easy on petrol or VED as a Colt 1.1. Yes, I know, save the 2.5k and spend it on the petrol and VED.......... ;-)
I'm a big Almera fan but I doubt there's a variant which will be as
easy on petrol or VED as a Colt 1.1. Yes I know save the 2.5k
and spend it on the petrol and VED.......... ;-)

As the merkins say, do the math! :)

This year, the Colt offers a £25 VED saving, and in the next few years that'll go up to £60.

The Colt is supposed to average 51mpg, against 42mpg for a 1.5 Almera. Rounding those figures down to 50mpg and 40mpg, that means that in 10,000 miles (an average yearly mileage), the Colt uses 200 gallons of petrol and the Almera uses 250. Fifty gallons @1.10 a liter = almost exactly £250.

So, on 10,000 miles a year, the Colt is £310/year cheaper on VED and fuel. The saving may go up or down depending on oil prices, but unless there's a huge difference in insurance costs (group 4 or 5 for Almera 1.5, group 3 for Colt), it'll take a good few years to recoup the outlay.

That's the curious thing about the new VED and fuel tax regime. People think that it penalises bigger cars much more than it actually does.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - jacks
The dealers about right with the Fiesta, Glass's = 2.5K with 50k (+/- £100 for every 10K over/under.)
Don't know much about Colt's - trade is 4.5K - plenty around though, and lots with virtually no mileage (pre-reg's) but probably not with A/C. Certainly the 6495 was optimistic, I'd push hard for the 3 yr service package - hasn't the car already got it?

I also see that the Reading main dealer still has some 07 pre-regs CZ1's at 6495 (mileage =10 miles) in stock - so they're not exactly flying out of the showroom, haggle hard!

J
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - carl_a
I also see that the Reading main dealer still has some 07 pre-regs CZ1's at
6495 (mileage =10 miles) in stock - so they're not exactly flying out of the
showroom

Thats because they are priced to high, you can have a new (58 reg) 5dr for that or 6k for a 3dr.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - Bill Payer
You could probably get a new one (inc a/c) for £7k. Our local dealer frequently advertises them at £6500 and has recently started noting that the 5dr is available for the same price. There probably aren't too many around with a/c though - that would add another £500 to the price. There is a slight facelift due aboout now.

I doubt you'll get the servicing package unless the car already has it, or the dealer does it themselves. We missed it by 3mths and Mitsubishi wouldn't even discuss it (their customer service is terrible, by the way - read all the threads about the Colt convertible). Mitshubishi's official scheduled servicing is ridiculously expensive, and apparently parts are very expensive too. Dealer tried to charge us £200 for first year service and that was after quoting £125 +VAT (I should have detected the "+VAT" as an indication they were scam artists). And they wouldn't stamp the body warranty as that's an extra half hour check, which we weren't even offered.

Ours (daughter's) is fine after 18mths of ownership - I think it's tremendous value for money. Only thing I would say to check for is baulky (obstructive) gear change. Apparently its common on Mitsubishi's but some are fine. It's particularly noticeable as we also have a Jazz and the gearchange is almost effortless.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - mattbod
Good little cars but some people pay over the odds to save relatively little on VED. Would I pay the extra for the i shift in a new Jazz or DSG on a Golf to save a relatively small amount of cash... no i wouldn't. Colt is a great little car in my opinion though v underestimated and the 1.5 Diesel economical and v brisk.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - bintang
I think rear sensors are in fact needed on the Colt due to poor rear vision, or so I have found on mine. Note also that front seat movement is limited when the rear seat backs are down.
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - maz64
Have you driven a 1.1 and a 1.3? I did, and found the 1.3 (CZ2) much better, despite reviews saying the opposite, and bought a year old one for £6k earlier this year.

Of course the running costs are a bit higher, but I'm more than happy to pay the extra for the quite brisk performance, which doesn't require lots of revs. The CZ2 has a/c (and fogs/allows/steering wheel audio controls) as standard - I know CZ1's with a/c are quite hard to find, or at least they were when we were looking. Having said that, there aren't that many CZ2s around compared to the number of CZ1s.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I did the deal and am buying the car. Got it for £5495 but had 6 months tax thrown in, plus £165 worth of Mitsubishi merchandise, and got a go in an 08 Evo - plus am getting tickets to go on a track day and drive the Evo around a racetrack!!! Brilliant!!!

I am very impressed with the dealer that I used - no hard sell and very nice helpful people. Unfortunately, as someone had already pointed out, i was unable to get the 3 years service package on this car, but the dealer has said i can get the car serviced anywhere (non dealer garage) and as long as they use Mitsubishi approved parts, the warranty is covered.

Looking forward to lots of happy years motoring!
In the current climate, is this a good deal? - Bill Payer
Thnaks for "closing the loop". As the comments are positive, which dealer was it?