What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Franchised dealers or independents - Akin
My fellow backroomers I have been trying to find the cheapest dealers for my Honda Accord 2005, 75000 mile servicing, so far amongst the franchised dealers the cheapest is 350 pounds while amongst the independent it is 200pounds. I find the franchised prices too expensive (or are they not?). I stay in Coventry during the week and in London on weekends. I need some advise on any known good cheap Honda independent dealers in these two locations or should I just go for the franchised dealers. T he car is out of warranty.

Edited by Akin on 26/09/2008 at 11:04

Franchised dealers or independents - Collos25
New oil and fuel filter.oil, new rear wiper blade and a good coat of looking at for £95 at my indie in the north of England.
Franchised dealers or independents - Bill Payer
Do the diesels need the valve clearances checked every 25K, as other Honda engines do?

If so, then that bumps up the cost. An independant probably won't bother doing it.

Anyway, check the scope of the work at the Honda dealership and make sure the independant is quoting for the same thing, otherwide you're not comparing like with like.

My dealer also had an offer on that Honda's recovery (which is the top level AA cover) was given free with the service. I don't know if this is a local thing, or if it's a national offer. As it's my wife's car I was paying £70 for cover with Brittannia rescue so to get the cover free was a useful saving.
Franchised dealers or independents - Pendlebury
I too got the free Honda Happiness (pass me a bucket) breakdown cover at my last service and agree that offsets the cost of dealer V indie.
If I'm honest I am beginning to not trust my dealer though. I am not convinced the tappets were checked at the last service and I am not convinced the brake fluid was changed this time. Both times the dealer has stamped and charged for the work.
The brake fluid change on a Honda is 3 years and it was looking a little dirty. I had the clutch fluid changed recently under warranty for the master cylinder problem well advertised on Accords. It went very clean in the reservoir after that. The brake fluid still looks very dirty.
Any suggestions for how I can convince myself one way or the other. I know if I take it back to the dealer he will just declare it has been done.
Franchised dealers or independents - Manatee
Is the £350 the price for over 3 years old? Honda dealers seem to offer lower fixed prices for cars out of warranty. I have just been quoted £349 & £360 for the 50,000 service on a CRV diesel still in warranty. I'm not sure it's worth it with only 2 months warranty to go but it might buy me some goodwill if it goes belly up next year. After this it will go independent.

Was offered aircon service Not a service at all, "it's a treatment to get rid of all the smells and bacteria from your air conditioning" - declined on the grounds that I do not have smells or bacteria. Then offered "fuel system clean" at £12, which sounded like an additive - also declined. Times must be hard.

Franchised dealers or independents - Statistical outlier
My 05 diesel Accord is going in for its 75k service on Weds. £254 all in for the service at a main franchised dealer, and a list of things for them to look at before the warranty expires. I also had a quote for £340, but nothing higher than that.

Dealer is in Sutton Coldfield, so not a million miles from you... Saying that, I am not going to stay in the dealer network once the warranty has expired.
Franchised dealers or independents - Collos25
Do the diesels need the valve clearances checked every 25K, as other Honda engines do?

Not on the 2.2 2003 on.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 29/09/2008 at 13:38