What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Goodwill after warranty expires - catalyst2
I've had 2 problems with my 2004 (april 04) IGNIS Sport (25,000 mls -used almost every day ) that should not have happened so early in the life of the car.

First problem was Feb. 2008 back box had to be changed (£250) had it done at Hi-Q, they were excellent.

Then 3 weeks ago A/C packed up, most probably a leak. It can't be due to misuse as I am used to using my A/C all year round at least once a week. Car is obviously out of warranty but it annoys me as these things should not have happened. Could be in the 100's.

I have a good mind to write to Suzuki to claim some goodwill on their part on the A/C at least (obviously it is too late for the back box). I bought a Suzuki partly because of its reliability reputation. Engine is OK but I am disappointed about the rest (exhaust & A/C).

1) What's the first step? (write to Suzuki or local dealer where I bought the car?)

2) what are my chances of obtaining goodwill payment over A/C prob?

Any suggestions or advice welcome.
Goodwill after warranty expires - pinkpanther_75
the aircon may just need a regas - currently pretty cheap at Kwikfit. Most manufacturers do however recommend regassing the AC ? every 2 years, although this is seldom done due to the extra cost come yearly service time.

I would imagine the exhaust would be classed as a wear / tear item and as such 4 1/2 years is probably not bad going. The relatively low mileage you have covered over the time you have owned the car suggests it is only driven short distances?

Other than that I would say 2 relatively minor failings in 4 1/2 years / 25000 miles IS indeed testament to Suzuki's reliability.

As far as a goodwill contribution from the dealer /manufacturer as the old saying goes "if you don't ask you don't get".

Goodwill after warranty expires - Pugugly
To save going down that road there is already an active thread in Technical that covers this.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=67...5
Goodwill after warranty expires - stunorthants26
Whats actually wrong with the A/C? Have you determined whether or not the failure is down to a servicing issue? If not, I would.
Goodwill after warranty expires - Chrome
I think you have a good car there, exhausts are consumables and usually do not last the life of the vehicle (stainless steel excepted), air-con is also one of those things which probably won't last the life of the car either. Just be thankful that you don't have any really expensive problems /failures which afflict other cars, just look at the postings on the Technical Discussion forum!
OK Thanks.

Yes, 2 minor things in 4 1/2 yrs is not bad, but it is disappointing that the A/C should develop a leak, if that's what it is. I have not consulted anyone yet, I have been so damn busy in the last 3 weeks.

Seant, I don't mind asking for some goodwill payment, but who should I ask? Local dealer where I bought car (Hodgson Newcastle) or Suzuki UK?

I suppose before I ask anyone, the fault in the A/C system should be determined. It may just need a regas, I don't know much about cars but I thought a regas was only needed after about 8 years. Is that right?

If you're after goodwill you'll have to get the Suzuki dealer involved. They won't touch you have a third party fiddle with it.

Get it diagnosed before doing anything else - it could be a stone punctured radiator.

Edited by Pugugly on 22/09/2008 at 22:48

Yes Chrome, I agree, it is a good car that cost little and is a pleasure to drive. I chose to buy Suzuki because of it's reputation for reliability, we ONLY buy Japanese in my family now! Between all of us, there have been very few problems.

However, that does not mean that as customers we should be too complacent! If there is a leak in the A/C system, that's poor (esp. as I have been careful to follow HJ's advice and use it every week and then dry the system out immediately after using system).

OK, thanks Pugugly. I'll get it diagnosed first, I suppose it could be a number or things other than wear and tear.

What's the best section on this site to seek advice/guidance for goodwill payment with dealers? I have never done that before and I am not sure how to approach it if I do feel that the fault should not have developped at this stage.
Never done it myself - but a person I know did this with a 5 year old BMW through the dealer - at their suggestion and came out with a 65% contribution towards four leaky injectors. The car had a full dealer history.

I would do things in order get a diagnosis first and take it from there.
OK, thanks.

Unfortunately, for its 4th year service this year I took it to an independent garage for the first time (I bitterly regretted it afterwards as the garage was not professional and it was roughly same price as dealer's, well only 15% cheaper). I should have stuck with the dealer, £60/hour for labour but they're professional and pleasant, never mind.

Good advice, I'll be upfront with the dealer if I feel the system has let the car down and will ask for a contribution in that case.

Do dealers usually charge for a diagnosis?
Goodwill after warranty expires - T Lucas
Just a thought really,but would you have sent some money to the dealer or Suzuki GB if the car had no faults in 4.5years,just as gesture of goodwill?
That's beside the point T Lucas, Japanese cars set high standards, if there is a leak in that system that would be disappointing of Suzuki.
Goodwill after warranty expires - T Lucas
So i guess that means no then.