What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.8 Disc protective coating - bathtub tom
I've just helped a neighbour change his discs and pads.
The new discs had a silvery/grey, paint like, protective coating which the instructions said not to remove.
He got his greasy thumbprints on one, so I gave it a clean with meths. It took off the coating.
It's been yonks (decades maybe) since I changed any discs. They used to be coated in grease.
Can anyone tell me what this coating is, and why it doesn't, supposedly, have any effect on braking performance?
The discs were not MB OE, but according to my neighbour 'fifty quid more than the cheapest, and the man in the shop said it's what MB would use'.
03 1.8 Disc protective coating - Number_Cruncher
The grey stuff is just paint - the MB original discs also come with it on. The first few applications of the new brakes remove the paint - for the first few applications, or even up to the first 100 miles or so, you're supposed to go easy on the brakes anyway.

If you happen to have removed the paint beforehand with meths, I don't think there'll be any problem.

What brand were they, Textar?
03 1.8 Disc protective coating - bathtub tom
Sorry NC, I can't recall the brand. I saw the box in the bin, a German sounding name IIRC, but I'm sure it wasn't Textar.