What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
96 1.3 Endura - high rev between gear shifting - Ford fiesta fan
Hi i own a 1996 Ford fiesta LX Endura 1.3, and when i change gear the rev seem to stay high for at least 5-10 seconds. i have taken the carb to bits and cleaned it, also i have checked the throttle cable and the throttle pedal and there is no probs there. The throttle cable is at the end of its life, its a little bit stretched, but its pulled tight with the cable adjuster.

Can any one help???

Moved over from Discussion

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 14:33

High rev between gear shifting - Halmer
Not sure if this will apply with your car but my wife's 2004 Punto had the same issue that was sorted with a software update at the main dealer. It was something to do with how the engine was set up to meet emissions standards to deal with unburnt fuel (or so they told me).

If you held the revs and took your foot off the accelerator quickly the rev counter needle did not drop straight away. Consequently when you changed gear it felt like you were leaving your foot on the accelerator pedal inadvertently.

H
High rev between gear shifting - Ford fiesta fan
Yeah i shall check that out thanks.
96 1.3 Endura - high rev between gear shifting - Screwloose

This is a very regular question; there are loads of similar ones in the archive concerning the ECU not receiving the message that the throttle is closed.
96 1.3 Endura - high rev between gear shifting - Ford fiesta fan
Hi could you explain this abit more, ive got a feeling that what your talking about is the problem but i have to make sure, Thanks.
96 1.3 Endura - high rev between gear shifting - Screwloose

It's a long and complex explanation and it's on several of the archived threads - use "search" for "Fiesta [or Ka] idle" and you'll have lots to read.

Unless the ECU can see that the throttle has closed, it won't activate the idle-stability programme and the idle-control valve [or actuator, depending on make of injection] won't move from it's part-throttle position of fully open.

Finding out why the ECU isn't seeing the closed throttle is the complicated bit. Bad connexions and wiring issues are common, as are throttle position tracks.

Do not get mixed up with the same problem on the multi-point injection used on other 1.3 versions; if your car's is a single-point [none have a carb] it's not the same cause - or cure - as those.

What make of throttle-body is fitted on yours?
96 1.3 Endura - high rev between gear shifting - jase1
Hmmm, I've had this on a number of cars.

Specifically Korean ones -- they're all like it, taking an age to bring the revs down between gear changes.

Eventually when you get used to it, you can use it to advantage. I achieve very smooth gearchanges with no effort using this "feature".

EDIT this was mainly in answer to Helmer's point -- I think there are two different phenomena here. 5-10 seconds clearly isn't right, I'm only talking about 1-2s here.

Edited by jase1 on 02/09/2008 at 17:38