Cruise Control- or Not? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My 2l petrol Hundai Coupe has cruise control- my first experience of it.

Going north on the French A75- pretty steep and twisty at times and rises to 1500m- the cruise control could not maintain the desired 130kph (80mph) at times and just cut out. The torque gauge indicated 175Nm max in 5th.I could only get up to the desired speed in fourth which was a rather noisy affair. Miffed to be overtaken by a bog standard Corsa on one hill.
My old 100Ps Passat diesel turbo would have taken the hills easily with its greater torque.
The scenery was very spectacular and the Millau Bridge is worth a photo session at the north end aire.

Cruise Control- or Not? - MichaelR
This is because your Passat is an engine which is reasonably torquey, whereas the engine in your Hyundai is gutless.

Cruise control works best when paired with a half decent engine.
Cruise Control- or Not? - b308
I agree, though its surprising that even some small diesel engines can cope well with cruise - I've got the 1.4TDi VAG engine and it works without any problems at all at high speed on some of the hillier sections of the German Autobahns/Belgian Ardennes Motorways and at slower speeds over here!

Edited by b308 on 27/08/2008 at 14:19

Cruise Control- or Not? - BazzaBear {P}
You're not the only one to struggle on that road. I was there a fortnight ago, and there were plenty of cars which had earlier shot past me at high speed who I then reeled back in on the hilly bits because they simply couldn't keep up the pace.
As motorways go a lovely drive though.
I would agree about the rest station on the north end of the viaduct, although I have also now found out (since I got back, annoyingly) that there's a little road you can go on from there which leads under the viaduct, and from which can be taken truly breath-taking shots.