What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.4 TDCI Clutch slipping- water ingress? - theterranaut
Hey all,

Heavy (very heavy) downpours in Lanarkshire tonight, and I foolishly took the back road home. Standing pools of water 20 yards across, and what must have been at least 6 inches deep, so I took it easy going through them, didn't plow on too quickly.

Nevertheless, by about the 7th or 8th one, the clutch seemed to be slipping in any gear.

Tried it just now after the car standing for 2 hours or so and slipping is still present. Wife noticed steam coming from the nearside front wheel.

Is it possible for water to get into the clutch housing on these cars and cause a slippage? Will it dry out/drain?

cheers

tt
03 1.4 TDCI Clutch slipping- water ingress? - Screwloose

It's very possible that water has got into the clutch. It should dry out in time; but it won't have done the release bearing's lubrication any favours.

Six inches is dangerous territory for modern cars; if it had got into the air intake, you'd be looking for a new engine now. In that depth; go so slowly that you don't even leave a ripple - or avoid going in at all.
Thanks Screwloose. Yes, with hindsight I should have turned back, a bit gung-ho of me.

cheers

tt
Just to say: car is running normally again, although I am closely watching and listening
for any sign of clutch failure.

cheers

tt