What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Falling in love again...? - theterranaut
Hello BR.

In my driving 'career', I've had some Vauxhalls, some Fords, 2 from Austin/BL, a Nissan,
a Smart, a Volkswagen, and a....Peugeot 307. 2.0HDi.

Of them all, I'm reviewing what pleased me and what didn't, and what would make me return to any of the marques if I felt the inclination. Ford, Vauxhall, Smart, Nissan, Volkswagen- I would probably have no qualms about buying another of their cars, as my owning experience was generally pleasant and positive. It would all depend on the actual machine, of course, but I tend to look on these marques in a favourable light

However: Peugeot. The 307 was a big disappointment; cumbersome, skittish handling, shoddy interior, crumbling electrics. We got shot of it prior to anything REALLY serious going wrong with it. And it wasn't particularly cheap, either.

I'm not struck on Peugeot, as you might have gathered. Which, as I've said, got me thinking- what would it take from Peugeot to change my perceptions? Will I see myself contemplating a new Peugeot in 10 years time? Or ever?

I know there are BackRoomers who've been around a bit longer than me, and doubtless have fallen out of love and back in again with certain marques- what prompted them to leave their harsh metal mistresses, and what did it take for them to return?

tt

Edited by theterranaut on 14/08/2008 at 10:55

Falling in love again...? - redviper
If I can be honest, I would give anything to have my Mk1 Astra back again ? I would have restored with a modern fuel injected engine ? because I had a love affair with that car ? it was my 1st car and if Im honest we had a wonderful relationship

I?ve owned 3 Vauxhalls and 2 Renaults in my 12 year driving ?career?

I had two Renault Laguna?s 1999 (T) and they where much nicer to drive than the Vauxhalls but the build quality of the car was appalling and both of this Laguna?s had constant problems with the brakes, and silly electric things going wrong ? so much that i dont think i would by another renault again, I would have to be serously convinced things are better

My Mk1 Astra Affair ended after 160k miles (60k of them where what I did) for a car built in 1983 I didn?t think that this was to bad, I only got rid of it because the carburettor problems it had, I thing a simple replacement one would have resolved but the wing was getting a bit to bubbly so I decided to reluctantly let her go ? however I purchased a 2.0L Vauxhall Cavalier which was a very well built car, but not particully nice to drive, however again at 140k miles I decided to get a Renault laguna and hand-on-heart they are lovely cars to drive but the build quality was appalling, and after constant problems with brakes , rear drums leaking ???.abs problems I decided to get rid and purchased my current Astra which to be honest does not feel either good or bad, but is (with the exception of a clattering hydraulic tappet scare I had) has been a reliable car. But for me my heart lies with the Original Astra it was comfy, semi ? reliable but very easy to sort if it did go wrong, didn?t require constant adjusting of things ALWAYS (bar once) started when I asked it to ? I would have it back and restored if I could.

Edited by redlightzone on 14/08/2008 at 11:24

Falling in love again...? - stunorthants26
Id have my Volvo 460 back in a second. Such a useful car - huge boot, economical ( 45 mpg petrol ), no toys you didnt need ( c/locking and heated seats but no elec windows ) and an excellent long distance car. I miss it terribly and would prob still have it had it not been rear-ended. Mine had just 33k on a K-plate and was mint, just my kinda car :-)
Great stuff.

But have you ever fallen away from a marque for some reason, then ended up buying something from the same stable later?

tt
Falling in love again...? - redviper
....Well addtion to my above post - I Started with Vauxhall, went to Renault becasue i thought the car was better than a Vauxhall wich ride quality it is, but build quality im sorry it just wasnt - Ive since returned back to Vauxhall and at it feels so much more solid! :-)
Falling in love again...? - stunorthants26
Not yet. The only cars ive bought and wouldnt buy again are Citroen and Renault, both 1980's cars ( CX and a R21 ) and current cars seem just as troublesome, albeit in different ways. The French simply do not learn and I still wouldnt want to chance harde arned money on their products.
Wow. The French Connection, again.

thanks guys-

tt
Falling in love again...? - midlifecrisis
I bought my 407 coupe with a certain amount of trepidation. However, it's been faultless, it's well built and extremely comfortable.

The only marque I wouldn't touch again is VW. Had a Passat and it creaked, rattled,had poor electrics and useless dealers.
Falling in love again...? - Dog
Iv'e owned soooo many cars I should be locked up ... I had my 1st Ford back in the 70's
a Zephyr (what a great name) then a Mrk 1 Capri, Mrk 2 Cortina, a couple of 3 ltr Capri's, then I didn't touch fords again until 2006 when I bought an 03 Focus 1.6 and found it a truely "world class" car - like everybody says ... I currently run an 05 Almera 1.8 which does me at the mo as its a tad smaller and uses less juice even though its a larger engine + Nissan are more reliable than Ford = Fact !
Falling in love again...? - Stuartli
Falling in love again...?>>

One's more than enough.

Even more expensive than owning cars....:-)