What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - Lud
My Iraqi buddy whose car has been trashed needs, of course, another.

He told me yesterday he had seen a Passat 1.8 auto with 110,000 miles on it for sale outside someone's house. I am not sure what S reg means in terms of age though. If it is pre-1998 the asking price of £2,400 sounds a bit steep to me. My friend says he believes the seller to be an honest private owner and that the car is a 1.8T. That engine is certainly very nice in another friend's Skoda, but with an autobox may turn out a bit thirsty for suburban running about. And assuming it has been properly serviced - something I urged my friend to look into very thoroughly - how long would such an engine and its turbo last?

I urged him to take his time and told him I would seek advice, but that the car sounded a little dear to me, and may have expensive work coming up. Was I being unduly pessimistic?

Edited by Lud on 05/08/2008 at 14:38

S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - Gromit {P}
Is this a 1.8 normally aspirated or 1.8 turbo? Around the age you mention, VW offered both - check the CBCB for the pitfalls of both (the turbo has some issues, IIRC).

Also, I recall Whatcar ran a 1.8 turbo Skoda Superb on long-term test and reported overall fuel consumption of 24 MPG in the time they had it. That was a manual, I think, so he'd need to check this car's thirst if he's not to get a shock after he buys!
He says it's a 1.8T, which is the low pressure turbo, around 150bhp and a very driveable engine in the Skoda. I think 24mpg sounds a bit heavy for gentle use though. Perhaps What Car, despite its ostensibly practical, advisory stance, has the same sort of heavy-footed hacks that other car magazines have?

I suppose the service record will be very important (it's a belt-cam engine). Its condition at that mileage could be anything from virtually as-new to knackered, and any superficial judgement of a car that age can quite easily lead to nasty surprises. I don't really think it's the right car for him actually. The main thing is the price though. Is it too high?

Edited by Lud on 05/08/2008 at 15:37

S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - Group B
It does look over priced to me, Lud, but i'm no expert.

On eBay completed listings:
T-reg 1.8T Sport, manual, "excellent condition", 84k miles, sold for £1500
2000 W-reg 1.8T, auto, appears good condition, 77k miles, sold for £1399

On Autotrader, in our area there a two cars of similar age and mileage asking for less than £1300 (one at a dealer). Put in a London NW1 postcode and there are six cars with prices from £2k to £3k..

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 06/08/2008 at 11:01

S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - ijws15
I had a V reg 1.8T (manual) for four years and 96k, 150HP up to V reg and then they toned it downa bit, plenty of torque. The lease company wanted 4.4k for it at the end and that was 4 1/2 years ago.

Very nice drive (like a quiet diesel that doesn't fun out of revs at 4500), more economical than the 1.8 which had 115hp and no torque. Very quick in a straight line and possible to spin both front wheels in the wet. V Thirsty if you use all the performance.

Could not live with a VW auto of the day though - too many changes require foot on brake or pushing the button on the selector - unlike the Vectra of that age.
S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - DP
The car is seriously overpriced.

A quick look on Autotrader finds a 1999 1.8T SE Manual with 103k and a full history for £1000, and a whole host of 100k ish 1.8Ts between 1997 and 1999, in manual and auto versions, for around the £1250 mark.

£2500 would buy a 2000/01 car with the excellent PD diesel engine and 100k or so on the clock.

Cheers
DP
S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - Dulwich Estate
I once had an R reg 1.8 auto Audi which is effectively the same car. Fuel consumption was 25mpg at best on a run and 19 - 20 in town. The (Renault, I believe) auto box expired at a little over 3 years and maybe 40,000 miles. I paid a lot for a recon box which never worked properly and sold it soon after.

Never again.
S reg. 1.8T auto: any use over 100k? Price? - Mapmaker
2,500 yesterday would have bought you a 2004 97k Nissan Primera SE 2.2Di Estate. That is a joke price.
Thanks chaps. I have passed on the not-too-good news. I am trying to steer my friend gently towards the idea of hiring the auction buyer who has been so highly spoken of here. Although if not rushed I can assess a motor fairly well for true condition, I am hopelessly naive and impulsive myself when it comes to buying and selling, and anyway I have no time at the moment.