What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
That mate again!! - I'm a Pane
Some may have seen a previous thread regarding a mate of mines head long determination to get a diesel motor to replace an aging Sabb 9-3 petrol/turbo. In the last 2 weeks he seems to have looked at over a dozen makes/models etc and 'thinks' he has finally found 'the one'. 2004 04 plate Mondeo TDCI 130 lx. Its done 103K but full printout of lease company service history including belt changes, new clutch at 86k (is this usual?). Local independant dealer has it up for £3400 which seems pretty good to me. Its a little more than he was looking to pay in all honesty but I think the lure of a later plate, good performance , economy and a 6 speed gearbox(!) may just have swayed him. He's put down a deposit and they are holding it for him for a fortnight whilst he gets rid of the Saab privately. I know there is a wealth of Mondeo experience/opinion within the BR - my only concern for him is that by stretching his budget he has nothing left for repairs (only a 3 month basic warranty included). Realistically, is there anything likely to happen, or should most things have gone and been replaced by this mileage? Thoughts/pointers welcome as quickly as possible since he only loses half the deposit if he changes his mind by next weekend!
That mate again!! - khizman
You would buy a mondeo to buy the Ghia X model, not the base spec vesion.

I would avoid it.
That mate again!! - Carse
Pete,

The main things to look out for (repair wise) are Injectors and EGR valves. I have an 06 ST TDCI and have already had my EGR changed (under warranty) thank goodness. I am a member of a Ford forum and the injectors and EGR's are known issues and fail with some regularity especially at the age and mileage you are describing.

Carse
That mate again!! - tyro
Its done
103K but full printout of lease company service history including belt changes

Sorry to ask a silly question, but what belt changes are these?
That mate again!! - Blue {P}
He'll pay a fair bit more for a decent Ghia X though, even the LX was a nice car to drive from what I remember, comfy seats, A/C, Cruise Control. It certainly had most of the required spec.