What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help an American Buy a Car - katgold
I know you all get loads of these questions, but I have yet another request for help.

after living in the UK for 7 years, I am finally breaking down and getting a car (and my British License). We are looking to buy a car in the next month or so and I have gotten completely lost in the what and how to buy.

Here are our requirements, we are a couple with one small boy and will probably have a couple more kids in the next few years. We will not be using the car to commute, but I have recently started a business where I am self employed and will be called out in all hours of the day and night to work (I am a birth assistant), so reliability is crucial. We live in Scotland and will probably use the car to go on holidays around the highlands, etc camping.

Our budget is flexible, but I would say £4k-£5k max and to be honest I would prefer less as we can really only afford £150 per month in all costs related to a car (car payment, petrol, insurance, etc).

I would really be looking for something with great fuel mileage and a low insurance bracket, as being new to the UK driving scene, my insurance will be extortionate.

I have looked at the Honda Jazz, as everyone I know that has it seems to love it, but I am not sure if it is the best fit. I have also been recommended the 5 door Aygo. I am hesitant about very used cars, simply because I am not an expert, but would happily be converted.

thanks in advance
Help an American Buy a Car - Alanovich
I would recommend a Seat Ibiza. Very reliable (it's a Volkswagen with a different badge), very cheap to insure (Group 2 for the 1.2 petrol), very economical on fuel (especially diesel versions) and very good to drive.

If I were you I'd go for a 5 door, 1.4 litre diesel version for reasons of economy and cheap insurance. These cars always had a good standard spec too for a small car.

Have a look at the used car section of the Seat website, there are a few dealers in Scotland and you might well find a good one.

I think the best advice is to get a comprehensive breakdown recovery service though, especially if you're driving at night in remote areas, as any car will not be 100% reliable.
Help an American Buy a Car - *Gongfarmer*
If you are looking at having to accomadate 3 child seats across the back seat you need to be up a size from the Jazz / Ibiza. I would recommend the 2001-2006 shape 5 door Honda Civic as ideal for your needs and price.

Edited by *Gongfarmer* on 31/07/2008 at 13:42

Help an American Buy a Car - SteVee
150 pounds/month (1800 pa) is difficult territory. It's also my sort of price range.
If you reckon on 500 for insurance 200 for VED and 200 for servicing - that's half your budget gone. That leaves you just 900 for fuel - say 160 UK gallons, about 6000 miles.
And no allowance for buying the car or depreciation.

I would recommend looking at the 2 litre family saloons - Mondeo / Primera / Mazda 626 and Avensis. The petrol models are available for very little money and should be reliable. They would also provide good transport for a growing family.

If you set aside just one years car costs - 1800 pounds - for your purchase, to include fixing any faults and run the car for say 5 years, then that would equate to ownership costs of just 30 pounds / month.
Many people on here will recommend that you pay only about 1000 for the car - the near 2000 bracket offers no improvement.

I would agree with the breakdown cover.
Help an American Buy a Car - tyro
I would recommend a Seat Ibiza. Very reliable ...

According to Warranty Direct, the Seat Ibiza is the 83rd most reliable car.

According to Which?, "reliability and owner satisfaction is average".

According to ADAC's breakdown statistics, the Seat Ibiza comes 16th out of 27 for reliability among small cars.

According to the AutoExpress Driver Power survey 2008, the Ibiza comes 59th out of 100.

According to the 2008 JD Power survey, the Ibiza's mechanical reliability and interior quality was 'below average', and its exterior quality was 'poor'.

To be honest, a lot of cars in your price range will be reliable enough - no matter what model you choose, you could be unlucky.

Jazz is a good bet. Also consider an older Honda Civic or Accord.

You might get a Mazda3 in your price range.

And a Ford Focus is also worth thinking about.
p.s I should have written "According to the AutoExpress Driver Power survey 2008, the Ibiza comes 59th out of 100 ... for reliability."
Help an American Buy a Car - SuperBuyer
Borad TDI 130 - 4 years old, 100K on the clock - £3.5K
Borad - thats a new one. should have said Bora...
Help an American Buy a Car - ForumNeedsModerating
The new Borads aren't bad either.
According to Warranty Direct the Seat Ibiza is the 83rd most reliable car.

Well I can only speak as I find. I ran two for 4 years and, apart from wear and tear items, only ever had a coil go on one of them in the 100,000 joint miles they did.

Good enough for me.
Well I can only speak as I find.

If every backroomer spoke as they found, the original poster would have hundreds of recommendations for very reliable cars, because most cars are very reliable these days.

I am not questioning your statement that the Seat Ibiza is very reliable. The point is that so are many other models - indeed many are even moreso.

If every backroomer spoke as they found the original poster would have hundreds of recommendations
for very reliable cars because most cars are very reliable these days.
I am not questioning your statement that the Seat Ibiza is very reliable. The point
is that so are many other models - indeed many are even moreso.

Well pardonnez-moi. Thought this was a discussion forum for discussing one's experiences and perhaps trying to help and offer advice. Did you expect me to recommend every car on the market, or make a contirbution, which, together with those from other posters, may help the original poster and go towards answering their question? And anyway, I addressed all teh posters requirements, not just reliability.

Am I supposed to know everything about everything before I dare post?

Would be a bit rubbish if the first reply to this post was "There are lots of reliable, cheap to run cars. There you go."
Help an American Buy a Car - retgwte
if it were me...

id buy a new diesel fiat panda

6300 quid brand new after discount (available for several places for this)

lots of room for 2 adults plus one or two kids, by the time you have a 3rd kid you will probably be thinking of another car

group 2 insurance

35 quid a year road tax

mega miles to the diesel gallon

great car to drive

after a few years non claims discount are built up you will be more free to choose cars in higher insurance group

as its new it will be in warranty for 3 years limiting your exposure to risky faults

doable for your budget if you plan it over the long term if you have access to cheap finance

thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses... I would have never considered a fiat or a seat and will def look into them in more detail...that fiat does get amazing mpg and the price isn't too bad, plus it is pretty cute. I have never heard of a bora either, so I think i will have to look into that as well.
Help an American Buy a Car - deepwith
Katgold, please also look up any car you are interested in the Car-by-Car section, plus the Road tests. Both sections are really helpful when choosing a car.
I think the Panda looks good too, and is fun to drive. Are you after an automatic or a manual?
If you do look at the Bora, don't be concerned about 100K on the clock - you can get a bargain and if you don't do mega miles yourself, then it will be fine. I picked up my Golf a little under a year ago with 106K on the clock, and its getting ready to tick over to 138K now and all its needed was routine servicing!
Help an American Buy a Car - Lud
Apparently production of the Dodge Charger has ended owing to all this wimpish stuff about the price of petrol.

I hesitate to suggest this katgold, but what about nipping back across the pond, securing one of the last ones, having it heavily tweaked and bringing it back here?

Surely that would make you a hero of the Scotland of the immediate future? Anyway I would approve (although I'm afraid I can't help with the petrol money).
Help an American Buy a Car - Alby Back
Nice idea Lud, but I wouldn't advise driving something like that with all that power going to the rear wheels on the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road in February. Or the Auchtermuchty bypass for that matter !

:-0
Help an American Buy a Car - Lud
Surely you can get 10 inch wide back tyres with a couple of thousand molybdenum studs in them?

I bet there are warehouses full of stolen ones in say Smolensk...
Help an American Buy a Car - Pugugly
You can get a 6.0 Hemi in matt black with black alloy wheels though.
Help an American Buy a Car - Alby Back
Aye.....so that'll chust be the two tyres y'er needin' the day ? Sorry darlin' but they're a wee bit dear y'ken ?

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 01/08/2008 at 00:04

Help an American Buy a Car - Hope this helps
SNIP!

Free advert removed.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/advertise/ads.htm if you wish to discuss advertising terms.

DD.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/11/2008 at 13:48

Help an American Buy a Car - Mapmaker
How well do you know him, Sue?
Help an American Buy a Car - Hope this helps
I dont know him well, but he was easy to get on with when I met him and seems genuine enough. I would have no hesitation recommending his service - very happy with my Focus.
Help an American Buy a Car - krs one
At your budget I would look to spend around £1500/2000 on a Focus or Astra. The old style Brava can be picked up for peanuts and the Bravo that we had was very reliable.

I would suggest getting something that you are happy to insure 3rd party as this will save some money too and don't get it serviced by main dealers.
Gosh! Miss a few days and you miss a lot. Come on, if I had the money and the balls (literally and figuratively)..I'd import a Hummer...nothing says "American" like a military car the size of my terraced house. So what if I couldn't afford to run it...we were looking to add an additional bedroom anyway.

I only recently found out about services like the one you mention, Sue. It turns out my neighbour works in the same office as someone who does this. Do they charge a hefty fee?