What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - kent
Hi
My radio and cigarette lighter fuses have blown but they aren't in the fuse box under the dash by the steering wheel/drivers door.
Anyone know where they are located/what amp they are?
Thanks!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2008 at 14:41

...I should mention it's not a Tourneo connect I don't think, that was as close as I could get from the model drop down list! It's a high top (high line?) long wheel base 98 deisel that's been converted into a camper. {amended as best I could, given the text allowance in the subject header}

I'm assuming I blew these fuses when I put new speakers in (yes, I forgot to disconnect the battery...d'oh!) as I'd just had it MOT'd and the electrics sorted out a week or two ago and the cigarette lighter and new radio with crap door speakers was working fine.

Mrs and I are off to a festival in the van in Belgium from Wednesday evening, and without the cigarette lighter working the Tomtom is gonna die on us after a couple of hours...AAAAAARRRRGH!!! If I had time to get it to a garage i would, but I'm stuck at work til we leave....

anyone, please help!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2008 at 14:42

1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - Screwloose
The cigarette lighter fuse can be on many different fuses on a Transit; but the 13th from the left on the bottom row of the dash box is the most likely. Should be blue.

Also check fuses 6 and 11 in that row.

Edited by Screwloose on 01/07/2008 at 14:08

Thanks screwloose, hopefully that sorts my tomtom charging issue...any ideas for where a second fuse box might be for getting the radio up and running again?
mechanic who last worked ion it thinks there could be a fuse box under the 'cubby hole' receptical in the top of the dash on the passegers side. Will check that out tonight and update the post...

The dash-top box is on the later model. That knee-level fusebox is your lot on a Transit '95. [There are 6 Pacific Maxis under the bonnet; but you'd notice if you blew one of them.]

How are you checking the fuses? Have you had the radio out to check for bodgery?
Thanks Screwloose
you're right, there aren't any other fuse boxes as I pulled a good chunk of the dash out to be sure!
When I check the fuses I'm pulling each one out and visually inspecting each one...in fact I have gone through and replaced every single one in case I am spastic and am getting something wrong, or one of them is somehow faulty, but still no joy.
I've checked the stereo fuse, but I had it working with the built in speakers...it stopped working after I wired up two new speakers (which I used with the same head unit in my old car).
there aren't any diagrams/symbols on the fuse box lid that look anything like a stereo, which is why I thought I'd try this forum.
maybe I've wired it up poorly....or got the 'switched' and 'constant' power wires round the wrong way...they were ridiculous colours and I only found one of the diagrams in the Haynes manual that seemed to match them so a bit of a 'fingers crossed' job really.

like I say though, it worked with the speakers in the doors, so I figured I'd got it right at that point and that's why I wired up the bigger speakers!

So; just to clarify. Both the lighter and radio went off together - but you now got the lighter working by replacing a fuse?

Are there any in-line fuses in the radio wiring - or in the back of the set itself?
sorry for the confusion. I confused the issue by adding the fact that the Tomtom 'charge' light wasn't coming on when I plugged it into the cigarette lighter so figured that fuse was blown and mentioned it further up the string before I'd got home and checked if I could find the cigarette lighter fuse...had limited time before the trip!

truth is, it was probably fine all along, but as it is connected to the leisure battery (which 'was' completely dead) and not the van battery that was why it wouldn't charge off the cigarette lighter.
once I took the van in to get MOT-ed and asked them to look at the leisure battery electrics they simply trickle charged it and then everything "worked" again...for as long as the charge lasted.
the cigarette lighter is wired to run off the leisure battery, and it should get charged up on medium and long journeys, but it is not. separate problem to the stereo issue, sorry for boring you with it!

so to clarify, the cigarette lighter fuse is plain as day sitting in the fuse box, and was never blown. when the leisure battery had some charge in it the Tomtom charge light came on when plugged into it, but it is now dead again.

the stereo fuse is nowhere to be seen in the vans' fuse box.

there is a fuse in the back end of the stereo which I have checked and replaced. no joy there.

I can't see any fuses in-line from where I've wired the stereo to the existing wires...but perhaps there is one further along it...will stick my hand down the hole and go rummaging tonight and report back! :-)
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - Simon
The only thing I can suggest is that you check to see if you are getting a live feed up the wiring to the back of radio. If so then the fault is within the radio unit itself, if not you'll have to persevere in looking for a fuse.

It does sound though like someone has had a 'play' with the electrics in the vehicle though and probably made a right mess of it all.
I've checked the wiring and there is no juice getting to the back of the stereo. While this means I (probably) don't need to buy a new head unit, it unfortunately also means I am no closer to resolving the problem :-(

I'm not convinced that anyone has 'messed with' the electrics though, the radio I have replaced was an original factory fitted unit (i.e. a big chunky piece of crap!) and the wiring to the back of that was all taped together right up to the back of the old unit as per a factory fitted job.

I am convinced it is simply a blown radio fuse...if only I could find the flaming thing!!

Looks like I'm going ot have to drop her into an auto electrician after all...seems a shame for something so basic!

Basic DIY car electrics 1 - Me 0
How have you tested the fuses in the dash box? Hairline cracks are very hard to spot - even when you know a fuse isn't continuous.

Have you got a basic test-lamp with a bulb in it?

Any extra fuses clipped to the top, side, or back of the box?

Which fuse does the box-lid identify as the radio? Fuse 11?

Edited by Screwloose on 22/07/2008 at 17:15

questions, I like it.

I have changed every single fuse in the dash box, and have just tested and re-wriggled every one of them.

I bought a cheap multimeter from Maplin, and yesterday I was getting no reading of either power wire....just checked again now and low and behold I am getting a reading! ...must've wriggled a connection or something I guess?!

with it set to 20V am getting a reading of 12.86V from the Green/yellow wire when it's switched on, and 1.86 from the yellow/orange wire switched and un-switched.

So, probably a fried head unit then, that seem right? possibly problem solved, new radio required, thanks!

For the sake of closure for this thread - on the fuse hunt, definitely no fuses clipped to the sides, top or back of the box.

and the box lid does NOT identify a radio fuse...there simply is no radio symbol on it at all.

number 11 fuse is what my Haynes manual thinks should be the fuse for the continuous power wire, but removing it I still get a reading of 1.89V on the orange/yellow wire and 12.72

the no. 11 fuse symbol looks like a dish with a lid on it side on, with three lines coming down from it....I assume a fog light or something? took a shot of the fuse box lild but can't post it on here.

That does sound about right; the green/yellow may well be the accessory feed direct from the ignition switch and may not be fused if there is a fuse in the set.

You also need a permanent live [red?] and an earth [probably brown, maybe black?]

How many other wires are on that radio's power plug?

Fuse 11, on that set-up, is the interior lights. [Got a diagram for those; but not the audio.]

What's in fuse 20?
The radio's power plug has a red, a black and yellow wires.

I've connected the red wire to the yellow/orange van power wire to the yellow stereo wire
the yellow/green van power wire to the red stereo wire
the black to the black.

fuse 20 is the same diagram as for 11, but tipped on it's side to make a D shape, again with three lines radiating from it. another light of some sort, but not sure whic that would be.

fuse 19 is exactly the same diagram, both 10amp fuses.

That symbol is for the lights, which is correct for fuse 20; but I've got "audio" listed on it as well.

The red should the permanent feed; the yellow the key-on feed. Try joining the two set feed wires to the working vehicle feed. [Earth connected.]
sorry, just to make sure I understand this right:
.... I should connect the two power wires from the stereo (the red wire and the yellow wire) to the permanent feed from the engine (with the earth connected as well). that right?

Yes; it's not unusual to have both on a single permanent feed so that the radio works with the key out.

I can't see that trying it with a key-on feed would do any harm to prove the set works - except that it won't store it's code or pre-sets.
well, I don't for a second pretend to understand why, but it now works! red wire and yellow wire out the back of the stereo connected up to the green/yellow engine key-on feed and it's all action!

Thanks a lot screwloose for persevering with my problem, having the stereo working will make life a whole lot more enjoyable for future trips!

cheers!
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - zookeeper
hi, kent and screwloose... i was imagining the film "lethal weapon" for a moment when they had to decide if it was the blue wire or not......zoo
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - Pugugly
zookeeper,

I was thinking more DangerUXB - maybe showing my age though.
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - zookeeper
a swarthy anthony andrews with his nail clippers?
1998 2.5D Does anyone know where the radio fuse is - Pugugly
Not now dear. (shh or the Mods will be down on us !)

Ahh; UXB... That takes me back to the mine pit on Shoreham Beach; half full of WWII brass-bound anti-tank mines.....

Very secure storage area - it had a bit of official string round it...... The little Morris van with the red front wings used to come and pick them up every few weeks.