What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which diesel estate? - Chad.R
After weeks, if not months, of umm'ing and arr'ing, it's crunch time and I need to make a decision .....the options are;

2005/05 VW Passat Trendline Estate 1.9 TDI PD130
2005/05 Ford Mondeo Ghia X Estate 2.0 TDCI 130
2004/54 Honda Accord Executive Tourer 2.2 CDTi

All are in very good condition with ~ 70k miles. Price range is £6-7k. I'll be looking to keep the car for around 4-5 years.

I thought I'd settled for the Accord but the Mondeo and Passat keep making a case for themselves and I'd probably be silly to discount them offhand.

They each have good and bad points........and I'm really struggling to make my mind up.

Your thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Which diesel estate? - Avant
I think I'd go for the Mondeo. Although I'm a very satisfied VW owner I think the Passat is a big car for the 1.9 engine - although if you're happy with the performance after a test drive it sould suit you fine.

Accord - after 4 years on this forum, I can't remember ever seeing a moan about unreliabilty of petrol Hondas, but there have been several examples of major failure with the diesel. Honda haven't made diesels for all that long, and perhaps it shows.

Mondeo - lots of happy owners on this forum. Just check you've got a good one, but if not walk away: there should be plenty more.

Another thought - for the same money might you get a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI? Almost as much room as a Passat but cheaper when new so should be cheaper at 3 years old.
Yes, the Mondeo is very good and there's no denying that the spec of the Ghia X is excellent.

The Skoda was discounted mainly on price (I'd ideally like the Elegance model) and for the fact that the 2.0 140 engine didn't seem quite as reliable as the previous 1.9 TDI PD.......One of the main reasons why the Passat is on the list is that engine. The rest of it is pretty bland compared to the other two.

Yes, the Honda diesel has had some teething problems but the rest of the car is very good and to top it all, it's the best looker of the three. Well, in my eyes at least.

The Mondeo does exactly what it says on the tin and is probably the best to drive but it does look a bit dated (especially compared to the Honda). It's been such a familiar site on the roads and for so long now, that I'm not sure I could live with my very own personal version parked on the drive for the next 4-5 years. Yes, I'm fickle I know!

Cheers,
Which diesel estate? - aylesby
I had your problem nearly three years ago.
I still have a 54 Mondeo estate 2.2 Titanium X which is excellent and has been no trouble for the 50,000 miles I have had it for. Always worried that it may develop one of the illnesses that can be found on these boards. The Ghia X has better toys than my choice. Fixed price service costs are low at under £200 per 12,500 miles. 50 mpg
The smallest of the three the Honda lost out because my three teenagers claimed the back seat to be too tight a fit for them. Could have high service and parts costs.
The VW is a fine car but may be underpowered at 1.9. I have financially suffered at VW agents with my Golf and I will not be going there again.
Do consider the Skoda but it is smaller. This is where I will go next time.
Which diesel estate? - Pugugly
Then there's the dealers. I've used two Skoda dealers, one where I bought the car (and who fixed a fault without batting an eyelid when I had a dog guard fitted) and another in Wales for servicing and tow-bar fitting. Both were excellent and honest. Probably the best I've experienced across the board. That has to be an issue.
Which diesel estate? - gordonbennet
Interesting that PU.

The local Skoda dealer round here gets good reports, at least the last time i heard, and they were dealers when the marque was a standing joke.

I wonder if these dealers are still employing the same old fashioned staff they used to, and you're seeing a bit of what used to be normal service? It doesn't do any harm to have a bit of old school care and courtesy, proof in how impressed you are.
Which diesel estate? - Pugugly
Very much the same in Wales - based in a small village outside Caernarfon they used to sell Estelles and the such like. Very good.
Which diesel estate? - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, second that. They're in Waunfawr - I used them when I had the Superb.
It's also got to be the nicest place to 'have a wander' while you wait for a service or other - there's stunning scenery all around with several walks to 'fit' anything from getting a dealer fit option to a 'full-service' length walk. The recently invigorated Welsh Highland Railway now has its Waunfawr station newly refurbished opened after a long period of closure.

Incidentally, I went there last weekend to test out a Fabia diesel estate (I'm interested in the Greenline estate version as company car, amongst others) & was quite charmed by the car & the owner (who has strong links with the previous owner of 20+ years).

Apologies to OP - above slightly O/T, but don't entirely discount the Octavia - they're really well put together cars with (from vox populi & my own experience..) an excellent dealer network.

Edited by woodbines on 29/06/2008 at 13:12

Yes, I sure there was a Skoda dealer of the "family run" variety in Watford until recently - I always heard good things about them through the grapevine. Sadly, I'm sure it's changed hands in the last few years and now I don't hear a peep about them.

Funnily enough a Superb 1.9TDi Elegance was on the list until recently.

Cheers,
You're right - the Honda's back seat is smaller (in width) than the Mondeo's and the average legroom doesn't seem to be as generous either. Though my kids are still relatively young and it shouldn't be an issue. However toddlers protest about legroom unless it's limo proportions by usually kicking the back of your seat - that "trick" can get very tiresome!

H'mmmm I never really considered the 2.2 155bhp version - is there a huge difference in performance/consumption/servicing/problems?

I was under the impression that the TDCi 130 punched above it's weight so to speak and the performance difference between it and 155 wasn't that marked. As usual, I wait to be corrected ;-)

Cheers,

Edited by Chad.R on 30/06/2008 at 00:58

Which diesel estate? - Round The Bend
Chad, did you consider the Mazda6? Always won best estate category in the What Car? awards.
Which diesel estate? - Statistical outlier
I'm one of the people on here that has had a disaster with an Accord Diesel, a 55 plate EX Tourer that I've owned from new. Certainly if you search on here then you'll find me sounding pretty unimpressed with it at times.

But. I think it would be unfair to shun it based on that. Everyone concerned, the AA and Honda, looks genuinely gobsmacked when they hear about my woes. The AA rekon that they almost never pick up Honda diesels, and the mechanics at my local dealer look genuinely bemused when I tell them it's broken. I'm pretty sure I'm a statistical outlier (damn it!).

What's it like to live with? Well, when it's working it's fantastic. I've always loved the looks since I first saw one. I'd agree it's really a very comfortable four seater, not a 5, as the rear seats are quite sculpted. It's v comfy though, I've done 850 miles in a day across Europe at (legal) speeds of up to an indicated 135 mph and felt absolutely fine at the end of the day. Fairly quiet, v comfy seats (although my gf who is 5'6" doesn't get on with them), lots of power for overtake and huge amounts of room. Lots of practical touches as well - single folding seats, easy to work stereo (although watch for front door rattles), power boot lid (although I understand that it can fail).

At 70k miles there is a little drive chain shunt (which I was miffed about, but to be fair there is quite a bit less than on a hire Astra I had on 4k) but little other sign of mechanical wear. The gearbox is still mostly silky smooth, and the ride is excellent.

BUT. It's thirsty. Driven enthusiastically it'll do about 40 mpg. Sadly drivin like a nun mine will do about 43. There are people on here with the same car that does 50+ easily; Honda say they can't work out what the difference is - a question to ask a seler about any particular car you're looking at.

Would I buy it again? Over the VW, definitely, I just prefer the look and feel of the car. Over the Mondeo? Not sure. On paper the Mondeo makes a good case for itself, but the reality is that I'm more of a snob than I would like to think. So yeah, probably I would.

HTH.
Which diesel estate? - Alby Back
I freely and humbly admit to having been a fully paid up badge bigot in the past. Frankly, if it was not a BMW, Audi, Merc or at a push, a Volvo, I was just not interested.

Then, some years ago I had a reality check. I became self employed. As with any new business I had to look at every cost emotionlessly. I bought a diesel Mondeo estate. I am pleased to say that despite the economic fickleness of the past decade that my wee business has thrived. I have continued to use Mondeos to this day ( on my fourth now )because I really like them and they have never given me a moments bother in a cumulative mileage of well over 300 thousand miles. That is to say nothing at all. Not a rattle, a squeak or anything. The only aftermarket repair I have ever needed was a replacement headlamp bulb on one of them. They are very comfortable, drive excellently, are sensible on fuel and insurance and seem in my experience at least, to be bulletproof.

So am I still a badge snob ? Absolutely, nowadays, if it doesn't come with a blue oval one.............. ;-)

Edited by Shoespy on 30/06/2008 at 10:17

Good to hear such good reports of the Fords. Ironically, I was put off them partly because of all the reports of problems with the 2.0 diesel injection system (I say ironically as mine has been a complete PITA). Especially with the new car though, I would look seriously, it's a nice looking car.

Deciding factor was really that the Honda was quite a bit cheaper than the Mondeo on a 35k pa PCP deal (about £50/month), and as it was just being facelifted, I could get EX spec (leather etc) and 17" alloys for nowt and a £4k discount. That swung it for me.
Thanks Gordon.

I've also loved the looks of the Accord (especially the Tourer) since it first came out. I'm very impressed with the quality (or at least my perception of it) and it just pips the Mondeo - and there's no doubt the Mondy is a very well built car.

I can live with 40mpg - I'm currently "enjoying" 20mpg, so that would be a 100% improvement! ;-)

There are a few things riding in the Mondeo's favour though - in no particular order;
1. Lower service/parts costs.
2. More rear passenger room
3. Cheaper to buy* and more choice
4. Lower fuel costs (though this is probably negligible in my case).

* Though have a look through Autotrader and you might no think so - The advertised prices of some of the Mondy estates is ridiculous!

......and I have to agree with your last point, I'd feel "better" having the Honda parked on my drive than the Mondeo. (I must be a car snob too!).

Thanks again.

In the end I think it's well worth considering both - you'll probably come across a particular car that will be right in terms of spec and price.

Running costs for the Accord so far:

RFL Band D (153 carbons)
2 sets of front and 1 set rear tyres: between 95 and 105 quid a corner fitted.
Servicing:
12.5k £194
25K £254
37k £232
New front pads at 39K £100
50k £250
62.5k £479 inc new rear discs + pads

All work done at main dealers. Service has been adequate but no more.

Edited by Gordon M on 30/06/2008 at 10:46

Don't Ford dealers have fixed price servicing for the Mondeo? I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper than that. Though again in my case, my mileage usually only warrants 1 service a year.

Have a Honda dealer locally that has a good reputation - it tends to be "Civic" country up our way!
My Mondeo diesel Ghia X estate was second hand when I bought it. I have personally done another 110 thousand miles in it. I have therefore had eight services so far. They were done by a local independent garage. Total cumulative cost so far for servicing ( excluding tyres ) is still below £1200. Cheap as chips !

Edited by Shoespy on 30/06/2008 at 12:20

That is cheap! Main cost of the servicing on the Accord is the fully-synth oil; I plan to join Costco to get that down, then at 3+ years will go indy, and hopefully the gap will close.

Edited by Gordon M on 30/06/2008 at 12:27

Which diesel estate? - aylesby
Before the 2.2 (155) Titanium X I had a 53 plate company car 2.0 estate (130) Ghia X.
I changed because I wanted something a bit different but the Mondeo estate had been excellent for our needs. I moved away from leather and wood to brushed metal and sporty seats. The change costs me 2 mpg and a move to insurance band 14. If I buy another Mondeo it would be 2.0 petrol to distance myself from all the mechanical worries and the increasing price of diesel.
Which diesel estate? - ijws15
I had one as a company car (til April). Over 4 years and 120k miles it averaged 50mpg. A loan car achieved a similar figure. Very nice car to live with.

You don't need all the fingers on one hand to count the non service/non wearing items, Brake master cylinder (70k ish, was squeaking), exhaust manifold (90 odd k) and imobiliser module (nearly 120k & nearly left me stranded). As a private buyer these could have been big bills but mine was a company car.

Dealers variable - On one occasion when they were supposed to do an MOT while I waited I had to remind them after 30 minutes because the car had not moved. On another I turned up with a dodgy immobiliser module (might not start) and they tested it and changed it with one off a new car all in just over an hour. Same dealer.

I changed to an Octavia because we did not need something that big (empty nest) although the Skoda will take everything the Honda took when we go on holiday, and cheaper -130g co2 rather than 153g.

If you go for a Honda look out for the optional space saver and as Gordon says - the back seat is not really made for 3 and IIRC only has 2 sets of Isofix fittings.

Oddly first time round I discounted the Ford because on the lease it (LX with some options) was MORE than the Honda and the Passat was way more than both (due to arrival of new model) - so expect a Honda to cost you more second hand.
Which diesel estate? - craig-pd130
If you do go for the Passat I would recommend a 6-gear manual, these have the higher-torque motor (310nm vs 285nm) and the gearing is perfectly suited to the torque characteristics.

Because of this they do seem to be more economical in ownership than the 5 speed variants.
Thanks again for all your comments......

I've finally taken the plunge and just bought a Mondeo TDCI (Ghia X estate, post '03 facelift). Picked it up yesterday and have already driven almost 200 miles.

Initial impressions are very good, there are so many toys in the Ghia X spec (mine also comes with the built-in touch screen Sat-Nav and Xenons (both, which I think were optional) - all for a little over £4k! .......the car's been well looked after and it shows inside and out.

The engine has done 100k but I have all the receipts/service history/MOTs from new - it drives very well and pulls cleanly from relatively low revs - I suppose it may break but that's the "TDCi lottery" I suppose and a risk I'm willing to take..... The gear change is very smooth and whilst I did manage to stall it a few times yesterday, I'm getting used to the clutch and drive characteristics. It's a 6 speed box but I found that 6th isn't much good unless you're doing over 60mph. On A roads I just stuck it in 5th and let it get on with it..... The TDCI engine does sound very gruff though compared to the V6 in the Landcruiser - especially since it has a custom SS exhaust which gives an almost V8'like burble.

There are no interior rattles or squeaks and I'm very impressed with the interior and general build quality. The doors still close with a nice thunk and everything that I've managed to test so far has worked perfectly. Especially impressed with the auto-wipers and lights. Certainly needed them yesterday and this morning..... there just seems to be an air of quality about the car - though my wife has started to call me "Mondeo Man".

The Mondeo won over the Honda for 2 factors;
Interior space - the Mondeo has much more rear passenger space than the Accord. I'm 5'11" and I can very comfortably sit behind myself in the Mondy whereas I'd be a bit cramped in the Accord. Also width wise, you can get 1 child seat and 2 booster seats in no problems in the Mondy, again in the Accord it's a bit tight.
Costs - The Mondy was cheaper to buy (like for like) and hopefully will be cheaper to service too. The marginally better fuel consumption (though pretty irrelevant for my mileage) would save a bit too.

The Honda's seats are far better though - the Mondy's seats aren't bad but the Accord's seats are superb! Probably as a result, I also (marginally) prefer the Accord's driving position too.

I still think the Accord looks better - each time I see one, I catch myself thinking "that's a nice looking car" - but i don't think it's worth around £1.5k more......or 30% more in this case.

Did look at a Vectra estate too for a little while (the 1.9 CDTi Elite model) certainly has loads of space and pace but I couldn't live with the "Addams Family" looks...

I'll try and give an update once I've had a car for a few weeks......
Forgot to ask....

Are there any particular things that I should look out for or have checked out?

The car was serviced about 5k ago so isn't due for another 7k or so.....which might take 6 months for me.

Had a good look round it today and the only issues I could find is a loose cable (in black flexible conduit, around 15mm diameter) that runs behind and across the lower lip of the front spoiler. I couldn't see where it came or went but it was a quite loose and had enough slack to be able to dangle down to the ground. I'll probably put a couple of cable tidys either side to hold it place.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chad.R on 09/07/2008 at 17:15

Good choice Chad. My Ghia X diesel estate is over 150k now. 100k+ over 3 years in my hands. I do have to report a problem though. Had to change a bulb today. Very disappointing.

Seriously though, brilliant car, can't fault it. Very comfortable, handles well, quick enough, ultra reliable, inexpensive to service, cheap insurance, good mpg, loads of room, still drives like new, no problems at all ever, etc etc. Only expensive items are the 17" tyres.
Yes, the 17 inch (205/50) tyres do seem to be a little expensive .....mine are all mismatched due to punctures, though they all have OK tread. I'm thinking about replacing all 4 .....Conty Sport Contact 2s for £105 all inc.
Which diesel estate? - GreasyGringo
Saw one of these on Ebay with 423,000 miles on the clock. Has anyone ever seen a car with more miles for sale, if so what was it?
Which diesel estate? - rtj70
Chad.R

The top gear issue you have is a common CR diesel one. They have so much torque that they can get away with very high gearing when the turbo is up and running properly. But at lower speed the turbo won't be spinning if you're in too high a gear.

I've had two CR diesels now (Mondeo TDCi 128bhp/130PS and Mazda6 diesel 143bhp). They both don't like even 4th around town at 30mph because the revs are so low. Just don't labour the engine and it will be fine for economy.
Which diesel estate? - corax
Chad R

My dad used to have an old shape accord 1.8vtec auto. Not a particular looker, but a car that starts to make sense when you get in and drive it. Great seats, driving position, steering taut, roll free cornering, and a lovely feeling of bombproof engineering through the car. A friend had one that did 205,000 miles. Apart from servicing, all he needed was an electric window motor and a aircon compressor clutch! But these are petrols. Not so sure about Honda diesels. If you're worried about the diesel reliability in your new Mondeo, you could buy an extended warranty that covers all the components on the engine, as a major failure can cost a great deal, and totally cancels out the savings made on fuel economy. Some people seem to get away with it, others are saddled with huge bills. Maybe it depends on their driving styles. Good luck!
I've driven it for a couple of days now and have a bit more of a feel for it. On A-roads and M-ways it really excels. Around town in stop-start driving it's only so-so.

SWMBO's Yaris (1.3) power delivery and gearing are so much better for those conditions.

I'm still considering whether to get a warranty or not ........
Which diesel estate? - morellomax
Worth checking with a friendly Ford dealer whether your car has the latest engine mapping. Not sure about the 2.0 diesel in the Mk 3 Mondeo, but other recent Ford diesels have often suffered from dramatic on/off delivery when pulling out of junctions, crawling in slow traffic etc, and these problems have been ameliorated by later software updates.

My 2.0 diesel Galaxy (though that's a PSA rather than in-house Ford lump) became much sweeter to drive and fuel economy rose slightly, after a software update 18 months after I bought it.