What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Accidents... - samb
I have recently had an accident (my fault) in my beloved KA. The bonnet has folded and the driver's side headlight and indicator is smashed. There is also minimal damage to the plastic bumper. Any ideas how much this would cost to fix? Will probably end up going through the insurance company, but wouldn't mind knowing the total cost of repair.

Also, I am within a month of having 3 years no claims. Will I lose all of this with my claim?
Accidents... - Lud
Best advice is to try a couple of bodyshops and see what they say. S/h panesls are a possibility, but panels - steel pressings or whatever - aren't usually the main cost of body repairs. Painting, labour, lights and trim are what cost the money. I don't know about Ka bumpers - perhaps they are sensible and sensibly priced, but some bumpers aren't.

If you can find a bonnet secondhand in the right (or an amusingly contrasting) colour, can live with the bumper damage or replace it similarly, and there's no other body damage, try doing it yourself. I think I probably would.

Accidents... - Leif
Yes of course you lose your NCB. You might be best to pay for the repairs yourself, as that might cost less than the extra insurance over 3 years. Many/most garages just send a car to a body shop rather than do it in house, so a decent local body shop could give you a quote. You could also probably replace the headlight yourself. I did my back one. About £25 for the component, and 10 minutes work, saving a fair bit. Ka components are fairly cheap. If the bumper damage is minimal, and MOT okay, you could leave it.
Accidents... - jc2
The non-painted bumpers were made in three parts-each of which could be replaced-each piece about £25.