What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - M.M
Has anyone used Nationwide Autocentre for a replacement clutch. Ours on the Mondeo would probably last another couple of years but for this years towing holiday to Scotland in August. Having looked at the route I must get it done before we go.

They claim trained technicians, quality parts and give a two year warranty. Cost is about £320 for my 2 litre petrol which seems good.

David
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - 659FBE
Don't go to any fast fit centre if you want to avoid damage to your car and subsequent grief.

Find a reputable independent who has been trading from the same premises for a number of years and who can satisfy you that he understands the task in hand (subframe alignment is a consideration when carrying out this job on a Mondeo) and that he is interested in and competent to do the job in hand.

If you were to observe (unobtrusively) the behaviour of some of the fitters at fast fit centres you would not wish to allow them to touch an expensive piece of your machinery.

Edited by 659FBE on 07/06/2008 at 10:22

659. Appreciate the comments. My username is not so well known here these days so you wouldn't know but not too long ago I was such a trusted independent as you mention! However life has moved on, I've "retired" and now longer do more than a standard oil change service.

So you can be assured I'm super super sensitive to who works on my car.

To be honest I've seen terrible stuff done by all sections of the trade but was willing to give these guys a go if anyone else had used them with success. Obviously they would be read the riot act before they got my car!

David
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - Blue {P}
If they have any relation to Nationwide Accident repair centres then I personally wouldn't be using them.

In my experience Rapid Fit (Ford owned franchise) have always been very, very good.

Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - gordonbennet
Why have things gone so backwards on the maintenance side when almost everyone says how much better modern cars are, i don't agree with the last bit mind.

10 or more years ago, a clutch change would have been a 20 minute to 3 hour job for a couple of like minded diy friends, and alright there would have been some really nasty ones, but these were quite uncommon, but still perfectly able to be done over a long day.

A vehicle as popular as a mondeo, and we're talking about aligning the subrame etc.

Seems the makers have really got us where they wanted us, not the OP here, but others actually trading their cars back in due to the price of a clutch change...unbelievable.

Difficult to find a balanced view on an 'indy' now as many forums will only allow positive feedback, been big rows on a forum i use over this problem recently.

I hope your car gets fixed ok MM, how are you going to let us know if it doesn't?

Well I hope I will have nothing other than success to report as I will test out the responses of anyone who might get this job. Obviously I have old contacts for this but in some ways I'd rather a stright commercial relationship where I can bang on the table if any problems arise.

David
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - yorkiebar
MM. Even considering a fastfit? Tut tut!

Find a local newish, independant; or an old experienced one.

The former will be keen on keeping your business and will work harder normally to do so; and he will be very wary of being too expensive.

An old experienced one will tel you straight if he wants the job or not. If he doesnt go elsewhere, and if he does you will be able to rely on him.

Nothing wrong with using your contacts; just tell them its strictly commercial business in case of problems. But allow them to charge you proper rates too if so!

Mondeo clutches, whilst a pia are not an unknown job to most mechs!
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - Stuartli
Just Google the name of the company with a "+ complaints" tagged on...:-)
Nationwide Autocentre - Clutch Change - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK they were taken over by, and are presumably backed by, the AA. Is that good thing or a bad thing?! Would one describe a Nationwide auto Centre as a Fast fit type of place? I used to use them for servicing when I had low tech diesel cars and now they won't service anything with a common rail as they don't have the equipment to deal with them, so my local branch told me when I asked.