What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - oilrag
Mentioned before, but..every car seemed to wear one...

Was that Esso `tiger tail` that you used to hang from filler neck really the best fuel sales booster ever and do you still have one tucked away?

It occurs to me that it would be quite a jest to do it again now using a circa 40 year old mass hysteria relic.

Well, we had one, didn`t you? I wonder whether the national psych has changed and that National Service, parade ground mentality ( perhaps augmented by holiday camps) has gone and a mass event such as this is no longer possible.

Alternatively, does anyone remember being motored to the coast (Bridlington) for their holiday as a kid in the 50`s and everyone, adults and children alike, wearing pork pie hats with a long feather?

Regards
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - gordonbennet
My dad would have the knotted hanky on the bonce and trousers rolled up for a paddle.

I do wonder whether the sense of humour to do this sort of thing, tiger tails..really..has disappeared, i'm mighty jealous by the way, we didn't have a tiger tail, i would have had it on my bike, together with the smarties tops stuck in the spokes, and of course the folded bit of corn flake packet jammed in the brake to act as a clicker.

I do love to see silliness like this, those arms and hands you sometimes still see hanging out of the boot shut, the cats bottom protruding from the radiator grill, all those types of fast disappearing tat.

Best i ever saw was the 2 builders vans travelling down the M1 near Toddington, out of the nearside window came builders bottom and continued to moon for some time, i didn't stop laughing till i got to London.

If you look at how things have changed over the years, we had the alternative comedians in the 80's and 90's and that seems to me when it changed, and not for the better IMO.

If you meet anyone these days whose laughs at they're own idiosyncrasies, they're more than likely over 50.

The younger people seem to take themselves so seriously, and be rather too concerned with image.

I wonder if as they get older they'll realise just how ridiculous they are, just as we do.
Maybe its how they're brought up, my son who's 27 now fully acknowledges just how daft he is at times, so maybe there's a shift, maybe its a generation thing, who knows.

Darker reasons too, you have to analyse a lot these days to see if you're allowed to find something amusing.

Enjoyable, these threads, a little relief in these depressing times, Nice one.
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - steveo3002
you can replica tails on ebay lol...saw em the other day
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - L'escargot
Well we had one didn`t you?

Never had one, or if I did I've forgetten I did ~ not beyond the realms of possibility at my age. Although I do remember the Esso blee dooler!

Edited by L'escargot on 31/05/2008 at 12:22

When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Pugugly
I wanted the imitation bullet holes given by Chevron in the 70s. Guess I would fail psychometric testing for my job now....:-( and no doubt I'd be taken to task now by the control freaks that run this country for promoting gun crime or something equally as stupid.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/05/2008 at 13:18

OK, Going back a little further. Circa 1955, I was a kid then and had a habit of asking for a key ring from different filling stations. You ALWAYS were given one and some were quite attractive with the fuel companies logo on the fob.

A particularly good one was `Regent`. Who remembers that as a fuel company? In fact I still have the big triangular shaped `ring` (fob long gone) on a bunch of keys somewhere.

Anyone else remember similar or still have any relics from simpler times?
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Round The Bend
We had a Regent kite when we were kids (60s).

Not only have tiger tails long gone but I have n't seen a more recent red nose for a while.
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - PoloGirl
Are you talking about these?

cgi.ebay.com/Original-Exxon-Tiger-Tail-Put-a-Tiger...m

Um, how can I put this, if they came back today would they mostly be on old Mondeos and white vans, like the England flags of a few years back?

Didn't they dull the paintwork, and look really skanky and dirty?

"Are you talking about these?"

Yep, Funny though, with adult eyes they now look like something else :(
Maybe I spent too much time in Paris..
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - tyro
I can't remember ever seeing a 'Tiger Tail'.

I do remember the imitation bullet holes though. I thought they were pretty cool.

So how old does that make me?
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Lud
I do remember the imitation bullet holes though. I thought they were pretty cool.

They're totally naff.

Real ones are another matter of course.
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Ian (Cape Town)
Smurfs, anyone?

Bill and Ben Flower-`pot` men.... I can remember that. Nothing sounds innocent now does it ;)

Weeeeed !............ another indicator. Bet anyone much under 60 is struggling to remember them ;)
Didn`t they have the little red `peddle` car? or is that random neurones firing in my brains bios..

Edited by oilrag on 31/05/2008 at 15:41

When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Lud
Careful oilrag. You'll mention Pinky and Perky in a minute and upset Mrs Whitehouse (or 'the swear filter' as she calls herself these days).
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - steveincornwall
Remember the mock bullet holes, got ours for the Mk1 Goodwood green Cortina from the local Regent / Texaco garage. Has the "Regent" brand been relanched? I am sure we saw one of their filling stations recently here in Cornwall or Devon.
Can you still get the little plastic flags everyone used to stick inside their back windows with "We have been to St Ives /Looe etc". Could go into Newquay and check, but too old now to bother with the crowds, oh dear!
Steve.
"We have seen the Lions of Longleat"...
Oh, Mods, please change this to Nostalgia Thread part 762!
Any Lion tails around your local roads Ian?, with the Lion attached, that is ;)

Edited by oilrag on 31/05/2008 at 16:23

Of course you would not normally post a link like this on a motoring forum, but it has been said that the motoring independence and mechanical capability of the 60 ish generation stem from this programme watched in early life.

Apparently, pre tiger tail, the Pots were symbolic of cars and the role of `weeed` and the `Men` were delineated and absorbed into the young Psych through observational learning.
(Bandura springs to mind as I write this.)

tinyurl.com/65eprn
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - madf
I'm sure I have half a £50,000 note somewhere:-)
I'm sure I have half a £50 000 note somewhere:-)

Ha! I can let you have a Zim$ 750 000 in exchange!

Apparently things are so bad in ZimBobWe that it is cheaper to use banknotes than to buy toiletpaper.
Long distance truck drivers need to carry enough diesel to get them through (or out of) the country, as there is no fuel available, and when there is, the price is in US$, as the equivalent Zim$'s for a tankful would fill a small suitcase.
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - Optimist
I collected the bullet holes when I was a kid and persuaded my dad to let me put them on the rear screen of his car. Very patient man, was my dad.

Then in the summer of 1970 I was working the pumps when Esso were giving away World Cup squad "medals" which you collected and put into a cardboard display holder. I think I've still got two complete sets in the loft, or somewhere.

I can't remember all the other promotions of the late sixties and early seventies, but can remember the mickey-take graffiti where to the urgent political poster saying "Free Nelson Mandela" someone had added "with every four gallons".
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - ifithelps
The Texaco Flyer was a cheap polystyrene kite, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned wine glasses.
When did you last see a `Tiger Tail`? - pda
How about Esso
'The Esso sign means happy motoring'

and Going To Work On An Egg with Tony Hancock?

Pat