Trade in for a Fiesta Zetec S - ijws15
My daughter is changing her Corsa Exclusive (Almost 4 years old) for a Fiesta Zetec S (I tried to talk her into a 1.4 but she did not want to know).

Dealer gave her a discount and a very good trade in value for her car - he claimed he could not find hers in in Glass's guide although it is listed on Vauxhall's "value your car". At the time she paid her deposit they were looking for a stock car but if not available the quote was 8-10 weeks for a factory order.

None in stock and Ford have pushed the build date back and the salesman is making noises about reducing the value of her trade in. If it slips too far she will also have to re-tax and MOT. SWMBO wants me to ring and speak to the salesman on daughters behalf to sort this out but I have refused saying we will do this when we go in to finalise paperwork.

The line I intend to take is that they can have the percentage reduction in the Glass price for the car for the 8-10 week period they quoted (currently zero reduction) and anything else is their problem. If it gets heated I want to be where their other potential customers can hear what is being said. If necessary have prepared daughter to ask for her deposit back.

Am I being unreasonable or am I taking the right line. After all they all swear by Glass' Guide don't they!

Trade in for a Fiesta Zetec S - pendulum
It's not your fault the dealer has been slow to supply the car. If I was in your shoes I'd be saying that I paid the deposit to secure the car at the price we agreed (car price - tradein value), and if they are going to change the deal, I am going to walk away with my deposit and I'll want the interest on it. What a cheek.

I don't even think I'd buy a car from someone who had the nerve to try that on. I'd be looking for a way out.
Trade in for a Fiesta Zetec S - nick
To my mind, when she paid the deposit, the deal was done. That may not be the legal position but it certainly is the moral one. Was the delivery date in the contract? I'd walk away if they try to squeeze more out of you. The way things are going you'll get a better deal elsewhere in a few weeks.
Trade in for a Fiesta Zetec S - oldnotbold
If she re-taxes before the PX, make sure she removes the tax disc when she gets the new car, and gets a refund from DVLA. It's her money, and the dealer will be expecting it to slip her mind in the excitement of the new car.
They did tell us when she ordered it that there may be an adjustment to the value of her car if it was a factory order rather than stock so I am prepared to allow them that much - but if the book indicates it has not lost value then that is that.
Went in Saturday to sort out the paperwork. No mention of adjustment to the trade in value. Just as well as we were prepared for an argument.

Did not realise how valuable the full tank of fuel would be when she got them to throw it in.

Collected the car yesterday - delighted so far.