What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Five weeks with the Octavia - ijws15
Thought I would give a report on how I was getting on with the Octavia.

Had it just over 5 weeks and it has done nearly 5k so getting run in nicely. This includes two business trips to Broxburn and one pleasure trip to Antibes so a fair few motorway miles.

Car is slightly noisier than the Honda but not really noticable except at idle where nothing comes close to the Honda diesel. Comfortable seats with plenty of adjustment, not had anyone in the back for any significant time so no comment on that but looks as much space, if not more, than the Honda (but children have left so that is not really a concern to me).

Performance is adequate and it moved when you want it to, deceptive for 35bhp less than the Honda. Economy when it came was under 50mpg (50 on the trip) and now it is 60mpg+ on the trip and still improving. 600 on a tank not a problem.

Boot really is huge and swallowed everything we would have put in the Honda for the trip to France (and the Honda was an estate which we would load up to seat level). Performance and economy did not suffer that much with the load (still 55mpg loaded and with air con on most of the time).

Stereo is good although the CD changer is largely redundant (must get around to recording some MP3 CDs!) and son is here for the weekend so will try his IPOD out in the Aux socket.

No socket in the boot (Hatch) but cold box lead does reach through to the socket between the front seats.

Power is always on at the lighter socket (unlike the Honda) and it is in an inconvenient place for the PDA based sat nav. Invested in a brodit clip and mounting bracket and routed a wire across to the fusebox behind the trim so the PDA mount is only powered on when the ignition is on and means I don't use the screen mount any more - much easier to do than I expected especially with a little help from Briskoda - also makes the screen easier to see in the sun of the Cote D'Azur.

The big question - do I regret the change - No, the neighbours might (but he has a 2.0Tdi Passat so he cannot complain!)
Five weeks with the Octavia - smokescreen
Is it the 1.9 or 2.0 ? Otherwise sounds wonderful and a potential candidate as my next car (in petrol form , that is), enjoy :-)
Five weeks with the Octavia - ijws15
The car surprised me the other night, to carry my step ladder in the Honda I had to angle it across the load area, corner to corner and on its side (rear seat flat).

Put it in the Skoda (its a hatchback) the other evening and it fits front to back flat (again rear seat flat). This is a very big boot!

It is a 1.9 and the last tank was 59.2 mpg - brim to brim.