What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.2 no spark - noisytappets
helo...can anyone help please?
My 1998 punto failed to start yesturday and the AA man couldnt diagnose it. He wrote on the breakdown report
" live feed to coils and injectors no switching" He said it might be either the crank sensor or a relay or the ECU. He said to change the sensor first and if it doesnt work to do the relay and failing that, the ECU
The fuel pump primes but there is no spark, my local (30 minute drive) scrapyard has the same model in but i have a mate who is an experianced mechanic says it is bound to be the ignition pack , saying the fuel wouldnt prime if ECU/crank sensor is faulty I dont realy want to buy the wrong bit/s for it obviously and i only have free car hire from AA till saturday lunchtime.If its the sensor or relay it would be handy (cheap). Thankyou for any replies
1998 1.2 no spark - Screwloose

Impossible to say if it's definitely the sensor; but it would still prime at key-on with a faulty one. It wouldn't re-activate the pump when cranking though.
1998 1.2 no spark - topbloke
if this is the model with the coil ign amp etc on the bulkhead with the crash box on it check the wireing on and around it very prone to rubbing out and blowing fuses, fuel will prime whether ecu fubared or not
1998 1.2 no spark - noisytappets
Just an update....i have had other things to do so i went back to punto the other day to fix it...it turned out to be the crank sensor just five minute job because it had oil on it so it slipped out easy as opposed to the three that breakers yard wrecked trying to get one out for me because they were stuck fast, anyway it was lucky that it did break down where it was (mates drive) because i got in it to move it and the clutch was on the floor because slave had failed while it was parked..at least it wasnt in traffic.
1998 1.2 no spark - craig3567
Hi there mate,i too have a similar problem with my fiat punto 1.2 s60.Can you please just let me know exactly what was happening with your punto before being fixed,thanks again craig..
1998 1.2 no spark - jimmyybob
Good job...

BTW a clutch slave should take no more than 30minutes max..easy job.