What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1997 1.25 alarm/central locking fault - flairsy
Hi, new to this site and hoping someone has a few idea's for my '97 fiesta 1.25 ghia!

Fault: -Remote key won't work/reprogram
-Door ajar light in dash won't come on
-Tailgate release button won't work
-Alarm system doesn't arm and work
-Double locking won't work even though central locking does.

I'm not sure if these are all inter related or if they are seperate faults? My sister gave me this car and said when she first had it the alarm and boot release worked but she set off the alarm with the bonnet open and now it doesnt!

I have: -Checked all fuses
- Done the Anti theft alarm/double locking self diagnostic mode test which resulted in the it not starting the test at all. This according to the TIS manual says to check anti theft indicator relay power supply/relay circuit of which not being electrically minded means i've not a scooby where to start looking.

Would a fault code reader give me a starting point or would I be wasting my time and limited cash?

Any help would be greatly apprectiated!
1997 1.25 alarm/central locking fault - 07marcjb
Is the alarm system a genuine ford one or is it a Retro Fit? also does it have an immobiliser unit. I have know immobiliser units to go down because of after market keys being coded to them. Can you start the car? If not its probably the immobiliser unit.
1997 1.25 alarm/central locking fault - flairsy
Hi, yeh the alarm and immobiliser are all factory fit. I can start and drive the car fine, I have 3 keys, one remote locking key, a red key and a coded black one. All work with the car, but I can't program the remote entry key as the alarm isn't working.

As to why the alarm isn't working, not sure if it's maybe the alarm/central locking module, a relay somewhere, a connector or a switch tripping the whole thing????

All the things that i've found to be not working maybe all inter-related because everything goes through the module, or the module may not allow anything to work because it's being tripped by a switch or something!!!!!!

OH HECK , I HATE ELECTRICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/05/2008 at 11:25

1997 1.25 alarm/central locking fault - wotfour
My wife's 96 5 door fiesta had very similar faults and were only fixed by replacing the alarm module mounted on the drivers side kick panel.

Tailgate release didn't work
Alarm System didn't work (watch out for aftermarket alarms which are not connect to the cars module - my wife's car had an ultrasonic system fitted next to the fusebox)
Double locking did not work but remote locking did.

A fault code reader will not help you as the faults you have are not in the ECU - However all is not lost, as the alarm module has a diagnosic mode.

Central locking can be affected by the failure of the switches in the doors, tailgate and ignition locks. (NOT the ones that are mounted the door pillers and tailgate contact block that operate the interior light) use the procedure on this site to test the complete system. www.mirez.co.uk/AlarmProbs.htm

Use the "- test -" link in blue on the above web page to check the module and switches
I printed it out and had to have several goes before being able to do each test within 20 seconds of each other. To put into test mode turn ignition off and open and close the drivers door 8 times and then follow the list of tests

Use the "(Details)" link in blue on the above web page to reprogram the fob (takes a couple of goes to put the system into program mode)
To check the fob is working (infrared type) get a digital camera or phone and point the key at the lens - if the key is working you will see the infrared led flashing in the camera's screen- if not replace the battery and try again.
The sensor for the infrared reciever is under the rearview mirror make sure you point the key at it when trying to reprogram the system.

Hope this helps