What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo TDCi issues - davecooper
Sorry for posting this again, hopefully in the Ford section now.
I am normally given a Focus 1.8 Zetec for business trips but have had a Mondeo IV TDCi for the last few days. I was pleased to have this as I am looking for a Diesel to replace my own Petrol car, although not Mondeo size.. Is there any way of telling which engine this has? It just has the TDCi badge on the back and nothing else. The reason I ask is that as a motorway cruiser it was superb, but around town, not so. I was forever changing down to get the engine on boost, below 2000 rpm there is nothing, absolutely nothing until 2000 rpm when suddenly there is everything. My own 1.6 Rover will pull happily from 35 mph in 5th if asked to, the Mondeo is uncomfortable at 30mph in 4th and I found myself in 3rd until around 40. I know that this is a trait of Diesels but I would like a little more flexibility in whatever car I choose.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/05/2008 at 13:45

Mondea TDCi issues - Jase
Is Mondeo IV the brand new shape?
If so then I think it's a 2.0TDCi 140BHP engine, similar to that in the CMax, SMax and Galaxy.

If previous shape Mondeo then 52 reg onwards could be the 130BHP TDCi (unrelated engine) or the earlier 115BHP variant.

Awaits corrections...
Mondea TDCi issues - DP
Or the 158 bhp 2.2 TDCi if it's the old shape.

I have read road test reports on the 2.2 criticising it for this very thing.

Cheers
DP
Mondea TDCi issues - kithmo
It probably was the 1.8 TDCi rather than the 2.0.
100 or 125 PS

Edited by kith on 01/05/2008 at 14:16

Mondeo TDCi issues - craig-pd130
The 2.0 140bhp versions should have a "2.0" on the left front wing, if it doesn't it could be a 1.8 Tdci (125bhp). The other way to tell is lift the bonnet and look at the engine cover, the 2.0 litres are badged Duratorq IIRC

I have a 2.0, it doesn't like pulling 30mph in 4th, 4th gear is just a little too tall. But the boost on mine is progressive and builds nicely from 1500rpm onward.

I did find some badly fitted vac hoses on mine from new, which once corrected made the engine smoother and more flexible.
Mondeo TDCi issues - davecooper
Looks like it's probably a 2.0 as the engine cover is badged as you have said. Also the fact about the tall gearing in 4th may bear this out as well. I am certainly not going to make any judgements based on this short spell with the car which was in many respects excellent. The Mondeo is too big for my needs anyway but if I looked at a Focus TDCi then I would obviously know the spec so I could make a better judgement.