What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1993 Suspension Woes - dw(wos)
I have a 1993 E-220 estate - petrol with 229,000 miles on the clock. The rear suspension has become very soft & "spongy". The non return valve has been changed but the problem remains.
I think the answer maybe to fit conventional shock absorbers ?
Has anyone any ideas or advice please.
Dw(wos)

{Volume lowered, ie got rid of the SHOUTING!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/04/2008 at 22:01

1993 Suspension Woes - Number_Cruncher
>>I think the answer maybe to fit conventional shock absorbers ?

Don't do it!

This conversion [bodge] has been tried many times, but most who do try it report the results as unsatisfactory.

If the strut units are not leaking, they're OK. Although they look like normal shock absorbers, they aren't, they're just hydraulic rams, and there's no valves in them.

With the car up on ramps, so there's plenty of room beneath, take the linkage rod off the height adjuster valve. With the engine running, move the valve through its range. If you can make the suspension rise and fall, the pump and valve are OK.

If all the above check out OK, you're left with what is actually the most likely cause of the fault, which is the accumulator spheres. These are actually the springs and dampers combined. They are available from aftermarket suppliers for much less than MB charge for them. You are likely to need to fit new pipes too, because after 15 years, the pipes will be quite fragile.

1993 Suspension Woes - dw(wos)
Dear number cruncher,
Many thanks for your tip. I will try it and see what happens.