What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1995 2.0 MOT - sill weld, dampers - cost? - FotheringtonThomas
My old cavvy needs a weld - the n/s sill, right at the back by the wheel arch.

It may need new dampers.

This for an MOT. I could fit the dampers, at least at the back - I've never done front ones for this model.

Anu guesstimates as to cost?
1995 2.0 MOT - sill weld, dampers - cost? - piston power
The front are a insert, you need to remove the whole leg and remove the spring to fit.

Haynes manual will guide you through step by step.

No idea of cost it's 10yrs since i did them last, can't see them been too expensive it's a vx.
1995 2.0 MOT - sill weld, dampers - cost? - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall once quoted me max 2 hrs book time per side to change the front shocks.

I ended up doing it myself. First side took 2½ hours, the other side took 1¼ hours (cos I knew what I was doing by then and already had all the tools to hand)

You'll need a trolley jack, axle stands, spring compressors, a ball joint splitter, a large deep reach socket (30mm IIRC) to undo the driveshaft nut, a torque wrench and a good strong vice to hold the whole assembly while you strip it down. When it came to undoing the large nut that holds the shock absorber inside the assembly, the vice proved invaluable as I clamped the large nut in that, stuck a bar through the track rod hole and used another bar as a lever to undo (and do back up) the nut - it has to be done up very tight.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/04/2008 at 20:01

1995 2.0 MOT - sill weld, dampers - cost? - piston power
Think im correct in saying the top of the insert is a allen key fitting, so if you put the allen key in and use a large ring spanner , when the spring is compressed to loosen the nut.

I don't struggle 1/2" air gun makes light work of every thing..
1995 2.0 MOT - sill weld, dampers - cost? - DP
ISTRC the nut holding the damper cartridge to the strut is extremely shallow and extremely tight. This was the bit I struggled with when I did this job once.

Nice idea not to have to bin the entire strut though - Vauxhall's engineering always used to impress me (clutch changes being another impressive design).

Cheers
DP