What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - tonyrees68
hi
my handbook tells me to press the clutch when starting the engine
why do i have to do this ,and if i dont will it damage the car in anyway
regards tony
54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - Dynamic Dave
It allows the engine to turn over easier as you're not having to also turn the cogs in the gearbox.

It won't damage the car by not doing it, but on a cold winter's morning with a lethargic battery, it could make all the difference between whether the engine will turn over or not.
54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - tonyrees68
thanks dave it all makes sence
cheers tony
54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - ifithelps
Tony,

The Highway Code advises leaving the car in gear as modern handbrakes cannot be relied upon.

Pressing the clutch before starting also avoids any risk of you crashing into the garage door/wall/car in front/behind etc.

54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Our Hyundais are also meant to have the clutch depressed before starting.
Only ever done this in the past when a battery was on its last amperes.
No audible difference to the cranking speed at present. As I always have the handbrake firmly on , the odd jump forward has not resulted in problems.
So far!
54 reg 1.6 press the clutch when starting - bathtub tom
I was competing in an off-road event. The handbrake button had been locked in for ease of handbrake turns, and it was parked in gear because it was on a bit of a slope.
I leaned in the window to start it, and let it warm up for a few minutes. I turned the key, it started, and ran!
I try to always press the clutch now before I start any car!