What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
53 plate 1.4TDCI - Is poor MPG reason to worry? - Mightymac
Hi,

I purchased a 53 plate Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCI in December in the pursuit of a more economical car ( I had been driving a 1.5LS Civic Estate). The reviews I had heard state that the MPG on this model was amazing with 50mpg plus expected combined (My friend gets around 65mpg)
Now, I am 26 and have had some powerful cars in the past (prior to a family) and I am at times prone to braking late and revving where I shouldn't...........although I don't think I'm any worse than anyone else.
For the last 3 months I've been getting on average around 35mpg. I travel to work each day on the motorway and my journey takes an hour and so cold engines aren't an issue. I also had the car serviced prior to pick up.
Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I should be getting a little more MPG? I was hoping for at least 45mpg. Can anyone give me any idea's of what the issue may be......if any at all?
On top of this, I also thought a diesel engine, even a TDCI would have a heater plug light on the dash. I've never seen this on my dashboard. Is this a fault that needs repairing, or is it not present on this model?

Appreciate your help.

Glyn
53 plate 1.4TDCI - Is poor MPG reason to worry? - bazza1603
Hi,

We have three of these on 04 plates with over 100k on each. No pre heater lights show on the dashboard.

MPG is always around 48-52 mark

Baz