What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 1.4 Sump plug change frequency - b8
hi

Friend's Focus has a Zetec engine fitted with all in one sump plug (ie. no washer).

I seem to recall being told they should be replaced every time they are removed. But I think they are also about a fiver each from Ford.

My question is how many times can the same sump plug be fitted/reused to the sump in practise?

2000 1.4 Sump plug change frequency - henry k
>>I seem to recall being told they should be replaced every time they are removed.
Yes. That is the normal advice.

>>But I think they are also about a fiver each from Ford.
My Mondeo was serviced by a main dealer just a few weeks ago.
I was invoiced for one sump plug @ £4.08 plus VAT.

The last time I changed the oil, the rubber ring on the sump plug was not in "good shape"

2000 1.4 Sump plug change frequency - Chris S
If you're going to spend a fiver on a sump plug every time you change the oil you might as well buy an extractor pump for about £20 and save yourself a lot of mess.
2000 1.4 Sump plug change frequency - Andrew Scott
Just a thought I buy these sump plugs from a company on e-bay (Search under Ford Oil Change) about £3.50p for 2 including postage!
SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/02/2008 at 10:10

2000 1.4 Sump plug change frequency - John S
And how wasteful of resources is that? Where does it same time or money? Still needs the mech at the garage to have a trip to the stores. Amazing!

JS

Edited by John S on 25/02/2008 at 08:19