What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Right to reject? - Statistical outlier
As regulars will know, I am a statistical anomaly. I have a Honda Accord Tourer that has been nothing but trouble.

In the 25 months I've had it, it's been off the road in the dealer's for just over 7 weeks so far, with both electrical and engine faults. It's ruined one holiday, made another very difficult, left me by the side of the road four times, and caused me work related problems when I've not had an appropriate vehicle for my own company's work.

I'm sick of it, and don't regard this as acceptable any more. I don't want the car back, and I'm wondering what my options are, given it's 25 months and 60k miles old. Do I have any?

All thoughts appreciated.
Right to reject? - T Lucas
If you have lost faith with it there is only one way out,sell it and get something different.I would bet the next owner finds nothing wrong with the car and the car performs perfectly for them.
Right to reject? - Bill Payer
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

How did you buy the car? Legal responsibility rests with the supplying dealer and also, if the car is on finance, with the finance company.
Right to reject? - bhoy wonder
Give the car another chance I think and hope you have been unlucky and hopefully Honda will have got to the bottom of the issue this time.

My present Passat has had a new gearbox, thinner gearbox oil, new clutch and dual mass flywheel. All this in the first 3 years of ownership. Although my car never left me stranded. I wanted to get rid of the car after my 8th visit the garage and they decided to change the clutch and dmf to try and fix the notchy gears that the car had. In the end I decided that I would give the car another go and so far the car has preformed great with no more issues (touch wood).

Right to reject? - cattleman6
bhoywonder.
Various UK magazines advise to buy a Passat over the Accord because of expense. I have had incredible reliability with the VAG group all my long motoring lifewhich has been a long time. My Seat Toledo TdiSE ( from end of 1999 being far the best). After hiring a 2.4 litre Honda Accord with automatic and DSG box in Cape Town at Christmas. I would say, support Honda Accord!! I was in Japan in April '06. They take quality issues seriously. My brother-in-law has worked in Tokyo for years.I have seen the Japanese attitude. they are serious!!
Right to reject? - bhoy wonder
Cattleman6

All my issues where fixed under warranty thankfully and I had a good dealer experience (Verve in Glasgow) who thankfully took my issues seriously. VW customer service is next to hopeless and where just not interested even when the dealership rang them to try and sort out some sort of extended warranty.

VW will have to start taking there build quality seriously and stop cutting corners to save a few pence. They also have to sort out there dealers as most of them are carp and due to naming and shaming polices on this site I cannot name some of the horrendous service that I got from another VW dealer. Again I contacted VW customer service to complain and they where just not interested.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Gordon M
Right to reject? - cattleman6
bhoy wonder.

I had presure on me to buy a new VW as I have always bought from that group with success. I shall definitely take a look at the new Honda Accord.
I too apologise for hijacking your thread Gordon M.
I really hope the Honda trouble will get totally fixed up.
Right to reject? - J1mbo
Hi Gordon, I know how you feel when you loose confidence in the car and want out of it. Unfortunatly you don't really have a right to reject it, this would normally happen on a car that's days or even hours old. Your best course of action, I think, is to arrange a meeting with the dealer principle, explain you still want to stick to Honda but don't feel the car can be trusted anymore. I would try and push for a "special" p/x against a new Honda from the dealer, you can say you'll still service it with them etc.... They win cos they will make ££ on your old car and shift a new one, you'll win cos you'll get a new Honda on a special price.*

If they don't play ball, then you have the excuse never to buy Honda again, take it along to your local Mazda dealer and P/X if for a new Mazda 6!!!!!!

Good luck

*Might be worth popping to another dealer from another franchise and see what sort of deal you get.
Right to reject? - nortones2
This comment " Unfortunatly you don't really have a right to reject it, this would normally happen on a car that's days or even hours old." appears to be in contradiction to the FAQ "Case law (Rogers v/s Parrish 1987) has put a limit of 6 months on the time you can successfully reject a car and obtain a full refund, though lesser refunds, taking account of mileage covered, may be obtained outside that period." Can you justify taking a very different line, J1mbo? IMHO this issue is where a lawyer/legal service insurance is needed, not amateur advice. Hence my wariness to be prescriptive, earlier.
Right to reject? - Statistical outlier
Thanks to all for your input. I'm going to talk to legal advisors, but frankly I think I'm on a hiding to nothing. I'm going to try and get mine back working, and then concentrate on the extended warranty or enhanced trade-in routes.

Given that Honda already gave me an extended warranty on the (unrelated) electrical issues I had, maybe that is the best option? I might even end up with the entire car covered by the longest warranty in Honda history :-).