What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1993 1.3 - Instrument lights not working. - ffolliott
Hi - 1993 Fiesta 1.3 Petrol. Noticed that the instrument/dashboard panel illumination lights not working all of a sudden - checked fuse (no 17 10A) and all ok. Handbrake and alternator lights working ok just general illumination gone. Might just be the bulbs but a bit odd if they have all blown at once. Will strip down to check but just wondered if anyone else had had this and it was a simpler solution.

Many thanks

{year/engine added to header as per ignored request to do so!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2008 at 23:51

Instrument lights not working. - Rattle
Ins't it just one single flouresent(sp) type light? The inverter or tube may have gone.
Instrument lights not working. - DP
Could also be a loose multiplug on the back of the panel. The panel lighting will be carried through one pin, and if it's not making good contact, this could be the problem.

I had instrument panel weirdness on my old Cavalier mk2 which was cured by removing and reseating the multiplug connector on the back of the panel. The oil pressure gauge intermittently stopped working, as did the panel lighting.

A "free" and relatively easy first port of call in any case.

Cheers
DP
Instrument lights not working. - Screwloose

From what I can remember of Fiesta binnacles; the odd thing about those years was that the dials are not back lit, as per usual, but have only two bulbs in the hood that shine down on the front of the dials.

If one bulb had already gone..... Can't remember what the access was like; but I think there were two hidden screws in the black plastic insert and maybe two at the bottom??
Instrument lights not working - sorted - ffolliott
Many thanks for all the replies - Screwloose was right two illumination bulbs sit the instrument hood and you only need to remove two hood screws to get to them very easily. Seems that one bulb gives about the same light as two so little warning when the first one goes. Also found that the replacement bulbs are a bespoke size fited in a plastic holder only available as a unit from a main dealer. That said I found you can pry out the bulb carefully and found a smaller one in halfords that snapped back in OK with bit of splaying of the wires to make proper contact. All fixed.

Hope this helps someone else who has the same problem.
Instrument lights not working - sorted - Fordy1975
I'm not a very technical / manual person, so could do with some help. I've got exactly the same problem so I took off the plastic "hood" and found 2 light bulbs on top of the whole thingy. So I need to replace those two to have the dashboard lights work again?
Which Halfords bulbs did you go for? I tried looking for them but could not find any? The ones I've got are 14V.
Instrument lights not working - sorted - dav3m
Just a warning to anyone with the same problem - I went to halfords and got some bulbs, the cloest match I could find was 12v and when I put them in the bulb holders and into the dashboard there was some smoke. Now I have real 14v bulbs (cost about £3 - search online) and they do not work. I think I seriously broke my dashboard by following the advice on this page.
Instrument lights not working - sorted - bell boy
ive just read the posts above and the advice given is correct
the bulbs come in a black plastic retainer but as someone said the bulb can be pulled out of these and a capless 501 bulb will substitute quite nicely 12 volt 4 watt
if you have smoke coming from your dash you have done something badly wrong and maybe bulb changing on your part should not be attempted in future

Edited by bell boy on 28/12/2009 at 19:28