What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 - Zetec 1.25 Gearbox - markyp23
My mate over revved in reverse by accident (bit of a nightmare) but basically he has done his gearbox I think. This fell out:

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/markyp23/DSC05336....g

if that helps with the diagnosis.

Basically I'm pretty sure he's done the gearbox but I am wondering how much it will cost to repair - parts/ how many hours labour?

Cheers for any replies. :)
1999 - Zetec 1.25 Gearbox - mfarrow
What are the symptoms?
1999 - Zetec 1.25 Gearbox - Talking Hoarse
You need to explain the symptoms.
Some good news is that the photo looks like a sump plug key, ie for removing sump plug. Likely been lost when oil changed and probably not related to any gearbox woe.
1999 - Zetec 1.25 Gearbox - Screwloose

Anything written on that bit? "S-P Tools" by any chance?

Did he lose all the gearbox oil?
The symptoms are:

Car starts OK
Engine revs normally
Put car into first
Try and rev, engine starts sort of shaking - no power going to wheels

With engine off it is possible to get into each gear without using the clutch.. (not sure if this is normal or not).

No writing on that piece AFAIK. It was absolutely coated in oil when it came out. No oil under car thus far though.
I was under the impression that the sump plug was a standard hex bolt head on these Fords.

Have you got a picture of that part from another angle?
I just cleaned the oil off it.

It is a sump plug tool with 8mm head and 10mm head.

Don't know anything else really.

The gearbox can have a recessed hex on the drain and filler plugs.

I'd wonder if the centre has torn out of the clutch plate, or a driveshaft has failed. Does the speedo read when it's trying to move?
I can't test it just now but if yes what does that mean and if no what does that mean?

If the speedo reads, then the diff or driveshafts have failed; if it doesn't, then it's clutch or box.
Hi

The speedo reads up to about 10mph (although not until the revs are up to about 3).

When the engine is off, first gear is selected (clutch isn't needed for gear changes ie gear changes work with or without the clutch), so I'm in first gear, engine off...Turn engine on and it doesn't stall. What does that mean?
Yes, filler plug needs a hex drive.
The speedo reads up to about 10mph

Is that in all gears?
Just checked.

In first it goes up to 10, starting at zero
Second starts about 5
Third starts around 15
Fith starts around 30 and on reving goes to about 50, (in about a second).
mark

That would tend to indicate a diff or driveshaft fault.

When the speedo is reading and the brakes are full on; get someone to look down the back of the gearbox and to see if either driveshaft is rotating and, if so, whether it's rotating along it's whole length..

If one is; then remove the hub covering from the wheel on that side and see if the nut in the centre of the wheel is turning.
Hi mate,

Thanks for all the help!

I dunno if I'll be able to do that mate. I've not got anyone here with me and I don't even know what a driveshaft is!

Can I ask again what it means if it is and what it means if it isn't?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark

You've got a broken driveline - somewhere past the gearbox itself. Unless you can safely secure the car and look yourself; it's time to get a mechanic in.

One thing you could do - engine off - is look under the front for grey grease dripping.
Hi, I don't see any drips or any sign on the gravel underneath.

I'm guessing broken driveline is a term ecompassing a few things?

What are they?

Listed in previous posts.
OK thanks.

Been really helpful.

Will let you know what the fault was when it gets fixed.

Cheers.
Hi there

I wasn't here at the time but I'm told the AA guy diagnosed it as a driveshaft problem and took it to a garage for my mate.

Cheers for the help.