What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 1.6 - New timing belt, now squeak? - corblimeyguvnar
Daughters 2001, 1.6, 84K Focus, just had timing belt done (better late than never) now there is a squeak/screach from the area around of the belt, not very loud but wasnt there before the belt change, noise goes (or at least cant hear it from inside motor) after car run for a few miles, but its there again if start engine up after 10 mins or so. Doesnt seem to get any worse if electrics on or not, clutch is in or not or steering or not.
Is this normal?, anything to worry about?, should we take the car back to fitters asap or can it wait?, will it go away once 'bedded in'?

{year and engine size added to the subject header, as per the requests to do so!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/01/2008 at 17:50

2001 1.6 - New timing belt, now squeak? - yorkiebar
Some of these had the auxilliary belt without any seperate tensioner. i.e. when any work is done the old (alternator) belt is cut off and new one fitted with a special tool. Its basically a stretchy belt (good idea not !).

If replacement belt and/or tool is (was) not available its possible they stretched old belt off and back on again and may have over stretched it. It will then squeal when car has started as it struggles to maintain grip to alternator load. Its also possible a new belt is slightly too long and isnt sitting tight enough.

Its also possible is a problem with the timing belt fitted.

Either way would suggest return to garage to mention problem and see what comments are made.
Thanks Yorkie, off to the garage asap then.

CBG
I couldnt get to the garage so daught took it in, they have said it is the fan belt, which also looks a little worn (£40 to change), didnt make the noise before the timing belt was changed though, has she been fobbed off?
Cheers
CBG
Mods - Sorry, engine size n year must be in the title, got it now.

2001 1.6 - New timing belt, now squeak? - Cliff Pope
I have heard of this with other cars. The new belt on my Volvo squeaks for a few minutes before it warms up. I suspect some tiny imperfection or rough spot in the rubber. The noise is diminishing with age - after 10,000 miles it now hardly does it.

Another possibility is that with age the sprockets develop a very slight tramlining effect, and if the new belt is even a fraction wider, or running 0.1mm to one side, it is running on unworn and unpolished teeth.
2001 1.6 - New timing belt, now squeak? - Collos25
Why you would change the cam belt and not the ancillary belt at the same time baffles me,when people cut corners doing jobs it makes me wonder about the rest of the work.