What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - rat bike fan
Hi, I've been having trouble with my 1996 Mondeo. I've had it for six months with no problems. Then about a month ago it started having trouble starting in the mornings. I presumed this was the cold and thought it may need new plugs. I had planned to do this after Xmas (when I wasn't so skint!!).
In the mean time I was starting it by jumping it off my wifes car (it would always start fine later in the day while it was still warm). Then after Xmas it died all together. No amount of starter motor action will get it going even jumping it! I haven't had a chance to check the plugs yet but I've noticed that no amount of priming the hand primer will make the plunger go firm! I took the output pipe off and pumped it and no diesel was coming out!! Does anyone know if this sounds like it could be the problem? As I don't know much about diesels.
Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 10:12

1996 - Diesel engine won't start - jc2
Yes-sounds like an air leak between the filter and the tank.
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - Screwloose
rbf

The diaphragm splits in the priming pump. Tape a plastic bag or a latex glove airtight over the primer capsule and see if that makes a difference.

Replacement filter heads are widely available for around £25.
Thanks for that. I'll try the bag or glove trick tonight when I get home. If it can be fixed for just £25 I'll be well chuffed!! Thanks again, fingers crossed.
snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 12:37

1996 - Diesel engine won't start - DP
Just one quick thing - if you replace it, make sure the one you buy has the hose stubs in the same place as the one on the car. There were different types.

Disconnect the hoses, unscrew the two nuts (13mm IIRC) and remove the complete assembly off the end of the cylinder head. It's so easy I actually do this to change the filter as its easier than changing in situ.

On that note, you'll need a new diesel filter as well but they're less than four quid even for a genuine Ford/Motorcraft item. The new filter will also come with the new O-rings and seals for the filter to filter head and bowl. (four of them in total!)

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 14/01/2008 at 13:52

Thanks for that DP. I'll try the trick with the bag/latex glove tonight when I get home from work to establish if it is the diaphragm thats gone, and depending on what that shows up I'll take your advice and renew the filter and everything together.
Thanks again.
The diaphragm splits in the priming pump. Tape a plastic bag or a latex glove
airtight over the primer capsule and see if that makes a difference.

>>
I tried putting a couple of latex gloves over the top of the hand primer and surrounding area and hand primed it then tried to jump start it off my wifes car again, but nothing! I think I managed to create a tight fit (although it was dark and raining!!) there was still no pressure at the primer button and upon removing the fuel output pipe again there was still no diesel coming through. May I have been doing something wrong or does this mean anything to anyone? Any help would be great as the train to work is starting to wear a bit thin into its second week.
Thanks.
Rat Bike Fan
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
3 years ago I had the very same problem on a P reg diesel mondeo. I was told to change the oil for a slightly thinner one and put in new glow plugs... It worked for me at the time.
Hope its something as simple as that for you.
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - piston power
Stick to the train i need a pay rise!!
Those fuel primer pumps do fail i have replaced loads over the years the seal's fail fuel returns back to the tank, i think you have nailed that one just replace with a new filter and bleed you may have to bleed at pump/injectors too.good luck.
Thanks everyone. I'll keep going down the seal failure route now it seems that thats probably the prob. It'll probably have to wait to the weekend, however, so thanks again everyone.
I'll let you know if I have any joy on Monday! Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Rat Bike Fan
rbf

You are sure that there's still diesel in the tank? Are you pumping air through, or nothing at all?
You are sure that there's still diesel in the tank? Are you pumping air through
or nothing at all?

Yeah, theres about a quarter of a tank left in it. When I take the fuel output pipe off the filter housing and hand prime it with my finger over the hole where the pipe was attached, there seems to be no pressure there as though its not doing anything at all.
Rat Bike Fan
rbf

That would point to the primer then.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I probably won't get another chance to mess about with it until the weekend, but, I'll let you know.
Cheer's.
Rat Bike Fan
I finally got the chance to look at it at the weekend. I changed the hand primer unit and filter. As soon as I put it back together I could tell the difference. After just a few seconds of hand priming it had primed the system and the button had gone firm. This would not happen with the old unit even after minutes of priming!! The battery was well flat but after a few goes jumping it from my wifes car it spluttered into life. The battery was still no where near fully topped up this morning but it did manage to go on its own (after quite a bit of starter motor action). The 25 miles to work should have topped the battery up nicely so I'll see how it starts tonight.
I suppose theres a chance the glowplugs might need changing as well, but the primer had definately failed.
So thanks guys, its either fixed or well on the way.
Cheers.
Rat Bike Fan
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - DP
Nice one!

Sometimes two goes on the glowplugs can help as an intermittent measure until you get around to replacing them. Ignition on until the light goes out, off then on again until the light goes out, and start. Sometimes helps a bit.

Cheers
DP
1996 - Diesel engine won't start - piston power
Top man well you learned something! as said two goes on the heater plugs and a good battery that car will fire up!!
1996 - Mondeo, Plugs, help? - rat bike fan
Well its been running fine for the last couple of weeks after I put the new filter/primer assembly in. It still struggles to start a bit in the morning when its really cold (been starting fine on the milder few days earlier in the week) so I guess the plugs are shagged too!! They've been on their way out for a while but they seem to be getting worse (maybe another ones died!).
I was wondering if you had any tips for removing them as they seem to be quite tricky to get at. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle it at the weekend.
Cheers.
Rat Bike Fan
1996 Mondeo, plug removal - Demon
I used to have one of these cars and did this job. If I remember correctly the only thing I did to get easier access was take the air filter housing out (???). Other than that plenty of WD40 before you start, a good ratchet/spanner set, and lots of patience because like you say they are awkward to get at, so it was lots of small turns with the spanner with my limited equipment, but it's not worth removing other components for easier access. You may need lots of plasters afterwards too :)

Interestingly I also continued to have cold start issues after replacing filter housing (after split diaphragm) AND glow plugs and believe that somehow air was still getting in around the filter housing. Never bothered to fix it as it would always start in the end.
1996 - Mondeo, Plugs, help? - Screwloose
RBF

Watch yourself. 1.8TDs can suffer a nasty problem where the glow-plug threads seize. For some odd reason, there's a waisted section upstream of the quite short threaded portion of the plugs; once fitted, this leaves the outer few threads in the head exposed to the elements and they "grow" with rust.

The plug starts to undo, jams in this rusty sector and snaps off - then it's head-off. Apply some serious rust solutizer to the plugs for days and days before you try and move them. If they turn and then stop - leave it soak for a few more days!

Re-tapping the hole is always a good idea too; it's an M12 x 1 or some such silly thread.
1996 - Mondeo, Plugs, help? - DP
I don't recall mine being a major problem, although access to No1 is fiddly because of the injection pump and its associated plumbing (the plugs screw horizontally into the head and need a deep socket, so some forward clearance is needed and the injection pump doesn't allow it.

I seem to recall using an open ended spanner 1/8 of a turn at a time and "flipping" it each time. Slow, but it worked. 2-4 were easier, but I would recommend one of those extendable magnet things which makes removing and refitting the little nuts on the terminals much easier.

I had one thread go "tight" as Screwloose describes. What I did was soak the threads in WD40, and slowly work the plug in and out a few times using a spanner with the logic that it would be harder to unwittingly put enough force on it to snap it.

It seemed to do the trick anyhow. Went a little further each time until it wound out fully.

Cheers
DP
1996 - Mondeo, Plugs, help? - rat bike fan
Cheers guys, I know what my weekends gonna be spent doing then (and there was me hoping it would involve drinking!!!ha ha). Just hope that snow they've predicted holds off! I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks.