What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 TDCI 100 LX - Noise Diagnosis - Steve33
I seem to have acquired a worrying noise on my car.

It's a 2004 mk1 Focus TDCI 100 with 50k on the clock.

The noise seems to be coming from the belts area, possibly from the bottom pully nearest the front of the car.

The noise is audible from inside the car and changes in pitch as the engine revs increase/decrease. It's kind of like a constant grinding noise in the background.

Any ideas on what this might be would be very welcome.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 16:30

04 TDCI 100 LX - Noise Diagnosis - Steve33
Any ideas on this one anybody, or is it too vague a description? A colleague has suggested it could be the water pump on its way out.
04 TDCI 100 LX - Noise Diagnosis - Graemetdci
Steve,

I presume you have the 100ps version of the 1.8 TDCi.

I had the 115 version of the same engine in zetec spec, 2002 model. It developed a loud squeeling noise from the engine bay which fluctuated with engine speed and was worst when the engine was cold after a damp night. This was due to the auxilliary drive belt which was replced and problem solved. I know that other TDCi's have had exactly the same problem so may be worth checking out. It's a relatively quick and cheap fix - the belt was about £16 pounds - just got it replaced during a routine service.

Hope this may be of some help.