Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - andy from embsay
As you'll see elsewhere I'm considering a new XF diesel, and one of the problems with ordering a car based on reviews is that you (obviously) haven't driven it. Now I understand the engine's the same as the one in the S-Type, so I wondered if anyone had driven one of these (and ideally a Merc E270CDi or 280CDi - cos I've got the 280CDi and a comparison would be great).

If you have, what were your impressions of the engine in terms of flexibility and poke - specifically responsiveness when overtaking in "A road" situations? I'm not that interested in supercar performance, but I do appreciate the confidence of putting my foot down and knowing something will happen, which I do have in my Merc.

Thanks.
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Westpig
I took one for an mornings test drive a couple years ago, whilst mine was having a service (my car auto 3.0 V6 S Type...240bhp)

the diesel seemed very evenly matched compared to mine and i noted the figures back this up. Seemed a bit strange not hearing much engine noise when you gave it some welly as the sound proofing was very good, no doubt to iron out the tick over diesel rattle.

i didn't get chance to do much overtaking so can't comment on what it's like when it runs out of steam, but in reality with an auto it doesn't matter as much does it

(I can remember Clarkson moaning about the diesel manual running out of revs too quick when he went around the Nurburgring)

based on that test drive, i'd have one tomorrow morning no problem... my only difficulty is my home 'Financial Director' and my bank manager, who both say 'no'.
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - OldSock
i didn't get chance to do much overtaking so can't comment on what it's like
when it runs out of steam.....

Is that a Roadcraft technique, then? :-)
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - boxsterboy
I looked at this engine, but in a C6 or 407, before plumping for a C320CDI, and noted that in auto guise it was a fair bit dirtier than the Merc V6, such that it is in the top RFL band, with all the forthcoming tax/charge problems that will encur. I presume the same may apply in the XF, if that is a consideration for you. This was enough to prevent me even test driving it, so sorry, can't help on how it drives.
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - MichaelR
I have driven a 2007 S Type 2.7d XS and found the performance perfectly acceptable for the class of car. It's not a fast car, but the punch is there when you need it. It's not THAT much slower than a 530d.
Thanks all - my alternative is a 535d, which is hods quicker, but if it's comparable with the 530d that's plenty quick enough for me. The dealer's offered me a test in an S-Type 2.7d anyway - which is more than the BMW garage managed with the 535d: "sorry, can't get one".
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - MichaelR
Thanks all - my alternative is a 535d which is hods quicker but if it's
comparable with the 530d that's plenty quick enough for me. The dealer's offered me a
test in an S-Type 2.7d anyway - which is more than the BMW garage managed
with the 535d: "sorry can't get one".

By 530d I should clarify I meant the E39 variant with 193bhp.
Is that a Roadcraft technique then? :-)

i meant you'd use a petrol engine up to the rev limit, but with a diesel there's no point and often run out of steam too quick anyway, so need to be prepared to change earlier

15 All....:-)
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - rtj70
Test driving an auto S-Type 2.7D might be closer to the XF than you might think, They share the same drivetrain and chassis. The issue with the S-Type is it's dated looks - I am not starting a debate so let's not deviate.

Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Martin Devon
The issue with the S-Type is it's dated looks - I am not starting a debate so let's not deviate.

DATED you swine. It is lovely don't you know ??

VBR MD
I thought the chassis was the same as the XK? Or is that another bit?
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - rtj70
I thought the XF shared suspension with the XK. Correct me if wrong.

But didn't they keep costs down by re-using parts. But the S-type a very good but DATED looking.
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - ForumNeedsModerating
Perhaps more sensible to wait for the car to become available than canvass views of a previous model, which is bound to be different. Any notional 'sameness' in the engine is bound to be different when coupled to different gearbox and/or controlling software configurations, not to mention weight. Have patience.

Edited by woodbines on 05/01/2008 at 00:08

Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - tr7v8
I've run a 54 Plate S-Type Diesel SE for just on a year, now with just under 67K on it. Bought with 43K. I love it to bits, fantastic car to drive & it's mode alters to suit mine, sporty when needed in press on mode & wafty when I'm not in the mood to push it. I didn't know when I bought it that I'd get a fuel card shortly after & I also knew that the XF was in the wings. Not sure I'd opt for a diesel in either event. Just occasionally the 207BHP isn't enough & the economy on mine is mid 30's. I'd have probably gone for a 3 litre petrol and not had to worry about the CR maladies & the fact it's got 2 variable geometry turbos & everything else. It'd also given me 240BHP & an excellent V6.
The XF is around the same weight so will be pretty similar performance wise.

Servicing isn't too bad I've only paid for one service at 60K which was £508 including the brake fluid change, service intervals are every 15K
tr7v8

as a V6 owner you've summed up exactly my thoughts on the two i.e. diesel versus petrol BUT...

your mid 30's mpg.. compares to my low to mid 20's on a run and mid to late teens around town

never thought i'd hear myself say it, but that would now be the decider, albeit at present only doing 5,000 miles a year i can justify it

obviously with a fuel card or company account paying for fuel, that would not be a problem, but just having paid nearly £70 for a fill up, that in town will last for a 300 miles at a struggle, for me it is problematic if i did more mileage
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - tr7v8
Westpig,

just to clarify most of my journeys are quite long, around town the diesel can be very poor because the CR engine takes forever to warm up! Eg driven gently on a cold morning, even with no idling it can take 15 miles for the temp gauge to hit its normal position. Some warm air takes around 8-10 miles.
I've heard of Petrol owners getting low 30's on a run, especially later models, I assume yours is an earlier one? Is it 6 or 5 speed?
Woodbines - wish I could wait, but I have to order something to be delivered in may, which means ordering sometime in the next 3 or 4 weeks (be great if the dealer got one to drive by then but he didn't seems confident) - but then again BMW have said I can't drive one of theirs either!
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Kevin
The S-Type was taken as a starting point for the design of the XF but in the end the only dimension it shares is the wheelbase.

The suspension is derived from the new XK. Engines and gearboxes are from the new XK/XJ range.

In the end I think it boils down to what you want from the car and where it will spend most of it's time.

The Jag will have a magic carpet ride and be very relaxing and smooth to drive. The 5-Series has a more 'sporty' feel and is more involving to drive but loses on ride quality.

Accept the offer of a test drive in the S-Type or even an XJ diesel, the performance, ride and handling will give you an idea of how the XF will be set up.

Kevin...
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Ian Newman
I am extremely pleased with my S-type - 54 plate Sport Manual - which has done 90K miles for me. I get all the poke I need in mid range over-taking and for when I want to hustle on Mid-Wales A-roads.

Clarkson's problem was not being used to the limited rev range - providing you use the box there is more than enough power. I'd expect the XF to be lighter than the S-type (heck the XJ is lighter than the S-type!) and I'd be ordering an XF to replace the S- type if they were still on the Company list. I've driven the Merc E 320CDI - very comfortable, had the same poke as the Jag but felt like driving a barge - not my cup of tea!

BTW on my regular motorway runs between Yorkshire and Cardiff I get 40-41mpg and 35-37mpg in mixed running (around home and those Mid-Wales A-roads).

If Jag use the V8 Diesel in the XF I might leave the company scheme and take the money - that would be a sweet (and quick) car!
Helpful comments all, thanks. I basically use the car for commuting 12 miles each way, mostly A roads and dual carriageway, plus family holidays and the occasional business trip (maybe 2 or 3 a year - I'm on the train mostly).

I think the Jag will get the vote because of the newness of it, but I will endeavour to get at least a drive in an s-type.
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Martin Devon
Had a lift in a 'Y' reg S type last week, 3.0 V6. The guy never punched it but to be honest I thought the engine sounded like an electric Milk float.

MD
Anyone driven an S-Type 2.7D? - Kevin
>commuting 12 miles each way, mostly A roads and dual carriageway, plus family holidays..

Pretty similar to my 50 mile roundtrip up and down the A33 each day so it would be a no brainer for me, although I'd choose petrol rather than diesel.

I use an XJ8 that should be made available on the NHS for anyone with high blood pressure.

Kevin...

PS. Whichever you choose - stick to the standard wheels.