What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which Honda for £800 ? - AEboni
Hello Everyone , I am on a low budget to buy a car that will at least last me a year until I can afford decent one . My budget is under £800. I would like to buy a Honda ,I know it will be relatively old . However during my research I have found that they are good cars even if they are old . I would like some advice as to which Honda is more economical , for repairs and insurance and of course not forgetting reliable .
I have seen a 1995 Honda Civc 1.4 going for £695 is this reasonable.
Look forward to your advice .

Moved from Technical.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/01/2008 at 15:23

Which Honda for £800 ? - Avant
At this price condition matters more thsn make. Hondas are good and last well, but you'll have more choice if you widen your search to include Toyota, Nissan and Mazda.

That Civic at £695 is reasonable as long as it's in good shape for its age. If at all possible, get something with a long MoT.
Which Honda for £800 ? - I'm a Pane
You don't say what size etc you are looking for, but as I'm sure many others will say, at this sort of price you look for condition, service history and 12 months MOT above all else. I do concur that Hondas, particularly mid/late 90's are likely to be more reliable than most other makes. BUT have you considered a Rover 600? Basically a Honda with a bit more wood and chrome. Go for a 1.8 (honda engine) and there are plenty of well cared for (ie OAP owned!) examples about none of which should be more than your budget. You may even be lucky to find a last of the line T/V reg (1998/1999) one. I ran one of these a few years back when I went through a classic car phase and needed something cheap and reliable whilst up to my arms in oil and rust! It was faultless-no rust, low mileage, good economy, comfortable and easy to drive. I paid £1000 for it then and sold it for the same a year later. Have a look on autotrader etc and see what you think...
Which Honda for £800 ? - LinuxGeek
If size doesn't matter than I totally agree with EP about Rover 600 series. A friend had a P plate few years ago and used it as a taxi and when he sold it in good working order he had done over a million miles on it! It had a 2.0 Honda engine.
Which Honda for £800 ? - AEboni
Many Thanks for your input