What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dual Mass Flywheels. - jc2
I hear that to overcome the concerns expressed by users of these devices,manufacturers are moving to TRIPLE mass devices.
Dual Mass Flywheels. - perleman
It's £400 on the Boxster. No doubt the new type will see a 50% price increase as the mass is now tripled!
Dual Mass Flywheels. - billy25
what a scam! the flywheel was already dual-mass, now its triple-mass, thats a 33% increase in mass, and they are charging 50% extra for it instead of 33% extra ;-)
Dual Mass Flywheels. - dxp55
seems right to me - a dual mass is 100% so triple is 50% more so 50% on price is a bargain - triple becomes 100% so each one is 33.3% :-))
Dual Mass Flywheels. - bell boy
yes anyone who did mass at school would know that more is less if you want to juggle figures ;-)
Dual Mass Flywheels. - cheddar
yes anyone who did mass at school >>

No, twas CofE ;-)
Dual Mass Flywheels. - J Bonington Jagworth
If it's got more than one mass, there must be a lot of energy flying about. E=mc2.
Dual Mass Flywheels. - drbe
Dual Mass Flywheels.

Er....

Woss it mean?
Dual Mass Flywheels. - Lud
Smooth clutch takeup. No shunting. User friendliness. Fragility (tendency to lunch itself sometimes allegedly at random). Costs four to eleven times what a normal flywheel does. Perhaps it is used on diesel models to prevent harsh low-speed engine torque from damaging the driveline, something like that.

I believe you can get a Ford ordinary one-piece flywheel substitute that works on some models.

All the above based on what I have read here. Never knew the things existed before.

Edited by Lud on 29/11/2007 at 19:55

Dual Mass Flywheels. - TurboD
poor blighters with ford diesels know what they are, their wallets are lighter now too
Dual Mass Flywheels. - perleman
And the other thing it does is prevent damage to the gearbox if you change down when revs are too high