What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 TDCi - Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - doogs
I recently bought an 53 plate mondeo tdci. Only bother i've had is in the last couple of weeks i've had a drop in power when i acelerate andthen take my foot of the throttle , it's like sitting in a plane with turbulence, (this i take it is due to backpressure in the fuel line)there is smoke , but it's not a black "reek", more whitey/rusty/greyish.
I've had it down my local garage, who thought it was the CAT. but says that fine and nothing coming up on the diagnostics conp. PHEW!!!
Any ideas, he doesn't think it's the EGR either.
Chers, Doogs

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2007 at 19:26

Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - Screwloose
doogs

Have a compression test to eliminate it being any of the nasty mechanical faults.

How sure is the garage that it isn't the EGR valve? Have they blanked it off?

Any chance that it's been paddling? Or misfuelled....?
Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - doogs
Cheers for the reply screwloose. I had the car down at the garage tonight but they were closing up so my mate quickly popped the diagnostics computer on it & nothing was showing up,he did maybe think, possibl the air regulator??? think thats what he said.
By paddling , do you mean through deep water, if so , not really , just the usaul rain and defo not misfuelled.
doogs>> doogs

Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - cheddar
They are know for a slight hesitation at around 1800 to 2000rpm, can happen on a steady throttle and at othertimes when you have been slowing on the overrun and then go to accelerate again, it feels like a very slight misfire, certainly not loss of power, only happens occasionally, mine has done it for all of its 123k miles.

Could it be this you are experiencing?
Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - doogs
No , this is a new fault which has developed over the last couple of weeks, car just doesn't have the same grunt or pulling power
Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - Screwloose
doogs

The damage from misfuelling doesn't show up for a while.....

Unless this one has inlet manifold butterflies [possible] then I'm not sure what an "air regulator" is? Fuel regulator; yes - but it would leave a code?

Loss of power, smoke and loss in mpg - kithmo
Same symptoms as a split hose in the intake system. Check all the big rubber tubes between the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to intake manifold. The one on the front of the engine going into the egr/intake manifold is the most common one to split.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps