What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Quick clear windscreens......... - christo
Having read the previous thread on 'night before' de icers, and the various methods to de ice the car widscreen in the morning why is the quick clear windscreen as fitted to Ford vehicles not available on other makes of car?

They appear on Fords, Jaguar and I presume other marques that have been or are still in Ford ownership. The quick clear windscreen is a very good safety feature, is convenient and seems a nonsense that it's not standard fitment to all cars. Other safety features that have been developed such as seat belts, ABS, Air Bags, laminated glass, traction control etc etc appear almost universally as long as your car spec includes it.

The system has been around for 10(?) years or so. I suspect that Ford have patented the system or have protected their design and manufacture rights, if so how long would this last and can other manufacturers get their hands on this safety feature?
Quick clear windscreens......... - Altea Ego
There are a significant majority who dont like fords windscreen. Some of us find the wires distracting - specially at night. The others who can see the lines of course think we are mad and that ford screens are the best thing since sliced bread.

They dont realise that people "see" things differently. HOw many for instance can see the "flicker" (as they rapidly switch on and off) of led lights?
------
< Ulla>
Quick clear windscreens......... - mss1tw
They dont realise that people "see" things differently. HOw many for instance can see the
"flicker" (as they rapidly switch on and off) of led lights?

LED's or fluorescents?
Quick clear windscreens......... - cheddar
There are a significant majority who dont like fords windscreen.>>

Yes some people dont like it though after a couple weeks and a 1000 miles they would not notice anything. Anyway it is a "minority".

Edited by cheddar on 14/11/2007 at 13:00

Quick clear windscreens......... - Stuartli
I'm with AE on this one and even more so if the screen is not perfectly clean - the wires can be very distracting.
Quick clear windscreens......... - AdrianM
Not so long ago I had an H reg Sierra Sapphire 2000E (wonderful car) which had the quick clear screen - so they have been around since at least 1990-91. I agree - don't understand why they are not standard on cars these days.
Quick clear windscreens......... - RichardW
I expect Ford have a Patent on the QC screen hence no one else using it outside of the Ford group.

LED tail lights on cars do really odd things to my eyes, and I spend my time at the office changing other folks monitors to >60Hz as I can see them flickering from the other side of the office and it makes me cross eyed! I also hate QC screens....coincidence? Maybe, but I am also short sighted in one eye and the focal distance is just about where the screen is, so I focus on the wires. Not good!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Quick clear windscreens......... - Dynamic Dave
don't understand why they are not standard on cars these days.

Because Ford hold the rights, patents, whatever, and thus preventing others from using them.

Can't stand them myself - as per RF's reasons above.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/11/2007 at 12:39

"Because Ford hold the rights, patents, whatever, and thus preventing others from using them."

Ahh yes, obvious really - and this did occur to me just at the point when I clicked the post button.
Quick clear windscreens......... - daveyjp
Most modern cars have aircon and this is just as effective at clearing misted windscreens.

If quick clear is also good at removing frost this is OK to a point, but if the side windows are frosty I still have to spray and scrape these so having a quick clear windscreen doesn't really help me get anywhere quicker. Why not quick clear windows all round?
Quick clear windscreens......... - runboy
Most modern cars have aircon and this is just as effective at clearing misted windscreens.

Is it true though that to protect the aircon system, most won't operate below, say, 4c?
Quick clear windscreens......... - WipeOut
You can get "Quick Clear" (called Visibility Pack) on a Mini which is owned by BMW, but not on other BMW's or a Scandinavian built Volvo which is part of the Ford group. Very wierd, and I would very much like quick clear on my Volvo!

I would like to see it as an option on far more cars.
People who say they dont like them generally have noticed the wires as a passenger or when driving a QC car for a short time however after a couple weeks and a 1000 miles they would not notice anything.

I am a case in point, my Dad had various Fords when I had company Vauxhalls etc, I was always sceptical though with a few weeks of driving a QC Ford I simply did not notice the wires in the screen etc.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Ravenger
I never noticed the wires in the windscreen on my C-Max until a passenger pointed them out to me. Personally I think it's a great feature. It's great for clearing frost or ice on the exterior of the windscreen, and unlike using a scraper or de-icer, the windscreen doesn't re-freeze afterwards.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Dipstick
Patent held by Ford, dated 1974.

See the inestimable patent search database thingy (great to search through for motoring stuff) at

tinyurl.com/a5x64

I put Ford, windscreen and heated in the quick search box to get the above info, which also has a diagram of how it works.

Quick clear windscreens......... - bell boy
it depends on the streetlights you go under and whether your screen is scrupulously clean
if either of these are wrong then i can see the lines really badly and they really bug me, but the idea and the fact they work so well was an overiding factor in the wife liking her fiesta with it,problem now she is moaning that her temporary replacement festa doesnt have this feature :-( daily now its frosty

Edited by bell boy on 14/11/2007 at 13:18

Quick clear windscreens......... - L'escargot
Quickclear windscreens are like diesels in that you either love them or hate them. Nobody is ever non-committal about either. I love Quickclear screens, hate diesels.
--
L\'escargot.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Group B
I've not driven a Ford with one fitted but briefly passengered in one, it looked weird and the wires were visible to me, but I suppose you get used to it?

I was convinced I used to see car magazine ads for a "Triplex Hotscreen", in about the mid-80's. The ads disappeared without trace so I *had* assumed Ford bought the rights off Triplex/ Pilkington Glass, but if Ford patented it in 1974 then maybe not?

I've just found this article saying, "...rebirth of the Hotscreen...", so I wasn't imagining it!
But this is dated 2001.. www.glassonweb.com/news/index/83/
Says they were going to be fitted to Lagunas, but this plan must have been dropped?

Pilkington site has very little info.: snipurl.com/1tmm3
No mention of how to get hold of one. They must be OE only? I think the 80's adverts seemed to say they were available for many vehicles.

Quick clear windscreens......... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I recall that some of the works Mini Coopers used them on the Monte Carlo Rally.
Looked rather like heated rear windscreens with fairly prominent terminations IIRC.
Were they simply too expensive for production?
Or did the insurance industry jib at the replacement costs?
Quick clear windscreens......... - Saltrampen
I'm sure I've seen them on some modern Fiats.
The thing with the wires is that you only see then when you focus on the windscreen, if you look at the traffic you don't see them. Although you are sometimes aware they are there, they are far less annoying than scratches and that thin layer of grime that forms on the inside of the windscreen that means you see nothing when the sun is low.

I guess if another Firm pays Ford a small fee per windscreen, then they could use the idea.
Also I thought patents run out after so many years, so that anyone can use the technology.
Or can you renew them?

Edited by Saltrampen on 14/11/2007 at 13:37

"focus on the windscreen, if you look at the traffic you don't see them. Although you are sometimes aware they are there, they are far less annoying than scratches and that thin"

Again you are all making ASSUMPTIONS. you ASSUME others eyesight can do this.

Again I ask, can you see the on off pulsing of LED lights? Everyones eyesight is not the same.
------
< Ulla>
Quick clear windscreens......... - NARU
Again you are all making ASSUMPTIONS.

And you weren't making assumptions when you said that a "significant majority" of people were bothered by the QC windscreens? If the advice doesn't work for you then fair enough, but it worked for me.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Spospe
A friend of mine had a Morris Minor, circa 1959 (or maybe just 1960) and that had an electrically heated windscreen fitted after the point of original sale by the old lady who owned it before him.

There is nothing new under the sun, but reading this forum makes me realise how quickly we forget and all of a sudden, 'WOW!!! have you seen this wonderful NEW Ford idea of a quick clear windscreen?"

When the Rover 2000 came out it had an electrically heated rear screen as standard and it also had 2 very obvious, thick wires, one at the top of the screen and one at the bottom. Why? So that everyone could tell that it was an up-market car with a heated rear screen, that's why. The technology to make heated screens has been around for ages.
Quick clear windscreens......... - henry k
>>The technology to make heated screens has been around for ages.
I have only seen them on recent Fords.
With the current they take I cannot believe they were around in the days of dynamos.

IIRC the Vanden Plas version of the 1100 had a fine wire heated rear screen as did I think RR. They were very expensive. With introduction of the painted on HRW then many cars then had this feature as it is cheap.

I am not aware of any producion models, before Ford, having a heated windscreen.

I had the rear screen of my Ford Cortin Mk II 1600E removed and replaced with a HRW.
This was never available on the production line but a trial batch of 200 were produced. My action was triggered by seeing a Corsair with a retro fitted HRW.
Once you've made up your mind that you can see the wires and that you don't like it, I've no doubt you'll always see the wires. I see them occasionally, but only if I inadvertently happen to transiently focus on the screen rather than look through it. I've done over 110,000 miles with this type of screen with no problem.

--
L\'escargot.
Quick clear windscreens......... - jc2
A driver should not notice them because his eyes should be focused up the road as far as he can see-but the passenger!!
Quick clear windscreens......... - SteVee
>>Again I ask, can you see the on off pulsing of LED lights? Everyones eyesight is not the same. <<

Doesn't this depend on how they (the LEDs) are driven ?
Typically they will be driven from a DC source via a current limiting resistor - there should be no pulsing of the LED under these circumstances.
Some LED displays - especially 7 segment types - are driven by a multiplex, and these can certainly pulse.

I'm not convinced about QC screens - I've never owned a car with one but it certainly wouldn't stop me buying such a car. I don't often use my rear screen demister, so a front one isn't necessary typically.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Happy Blue!
The Mercedes S-class of 1973 had a heated rear screen with very tiny wired embedded in it, very similar to the QuickClear of Ford and worked equally well. No idea why Ford should patent it, when it was around previously.

I had an Orion once and the only redeeming feature of the car was the Quickclear screen.
Might be wrong though IIRC Porsche used it under licence for a while on the 928.
Quick clear windscreens......... - PoloGirl
I've got a feeling the other half's Passat has some kind of heated front screen, but may be wrong.

I'm with AlteaEgo on the wires on Ford screens though - they make me travel sick, especially at night. Are we in the majority yet? ;-)

This has just reminded me that I will be driving a Transit Connect with one of these damn windscreens in tomorrow. I can just about tollerate it during the daytime (it's only taken a year or so to get used to it!), but now the clocks have gone back it means that I will be driving it at lighting up time. As it's a pool van, there's not a chance of being able to keep the inside of the windscreen clean - not when certain colleagues use the backs of their hands or their shirt cuff to wipe off the condensation that forms overnight.
Quick clear windscreens......... - AlastairW
- not when certain colleagues use the backs of their hands or their shirt cuff to wipe off the condensation that forms overnight.

Of course if they used QC for its intended purpose they wouldnt need to use their sleeve, therby keeping the screen clean. You can take a horse to water and all that..
Quick clear windscreens......... - gsb49
As it's a pool van there's not a chance of being able to keep
the inside of the windscreen clean - not when certain colleagues use the backs of
their hands or their shirt cuff to wipe off the condensation that forms overnight.

That drives me mad!!!!!!! when someone "helps" by using the back of their hand before you have time to stop them.
I'm with AlteaEgo on the wires on Ford screens though - they make me travel
sick especially at night. Are we in the majority yet? ;-)

>>
I totally accept AE , PG and others have a problem with the screens but have no idea the root cause.

With the number of repeat Ford company cars I think the majority probably like heated screens.>

IMO is very obvious that a significant number of drivers DO notice the heating wires and find them a distraction or make them uncomfortable when viewing the road ahead.

I am long sighted and do not experience any problems. I love the feature.

I do not want them to be mandatory as it is feature you cannot hide.

My 98 Mondeo (115K) has such a screen
My experience is slightly different from other postings above.
There is no smoking in my car and I try to keep the inside glass clean but the outside was pock marked with tiny stone chips as might be expected at 115K.
The screen was cracked very recently and was replaced.
I now tend to notice the wires more than previously but not enough to cause me concern.
Quick clear windscreens......... - rtj70
This morning was the first called/early start in the new MAzda6. Immediately the windscreen misted so I put the air-con on the demist windscreen setting. At this point I (a) missed the QC screen of the Mondeo and (b) the inside of the brand new car's windscreen is covered in something hence the misting!

Driving a night I also miss the auto dimming rear view mirror. Yes I can dim it myself but it's nowhere near as good as an autodimming one. Too much light is then removed and the image behind is poor.

But I have driven to Slough and back from Stockport in a day twice in the last two weeks and the car is comfortable and refined. More so can the TDCi Mondeo in my opinion - sorry cheddar ;-)
Quick clear windscreens......... - pinkpanther_75
I've owned 3 Ford cars fitted with heated screens in the last few years and must say I find the wires distracting, especially at night where everything appears slightly "fuzzy". My wife however doesn't "see" them.

I deliberately looked for a car without a heated screen (anything other than a Ford !) when I recently disposed of my 06 Plate Focus, due mainly to issues with road noise and poor fuel economy (100 BHP 1.6 petrol).

Edited by Seant on 14/11/2007 at 20:04

Quick clear windscreens......... - Dr Rubber
Ford QC windscreens are a fantastic idea, but I hate the things. All I can see is the wires, especially in the fog :-( I don't know how ford patented the idea (unless it applies only to cars), as they have been fitted to aircraft for years!

FWIW front and rear windows use different technologies. Rear screens use screen printed copper tracks that are sintered into the surface during the toughening process. Ford QC (and some aircraft windows) have lots of fine heating elements embedded into the vinyl rubber that laminates the two plies of toughened glass together.

Joe
Quick clear windscreens......... - gsb49
Again I ask can you see the on off pulsing of LED lights? Everyones eyesight
is not the same.
------
< Ulla>

Yes! I can see the flicker of LED's. More so if the car is passing your line of vision.

Happy now..... ;¬)
i thought he meant led lights in remote control things, ive burnt my retinas out tonight looking at the telly remote,do i have a claim?
Quick clear windscreens......... - dimdip
Yes! I can see the flicker of LED's. More so if the car is
passing your line of vision.

Humans detect movement (and therefore flicker) better near the periphery of view, apparently
Quick clear windscreens......... - mfarrow
The patent you speak of wasn't renewed at the 5 year anniversary. There are other, similar patents if you keep looking.

As people have said, heated screens have been available, not just on Fords, for many years. Ford started it mainstream in the late 80s, but considering the diversity of manufacturers using it (I'll add a Volvo Olymian to the mix), I would be very surprised if a patent was still valid.

The patent rumour is fuelled I fear by the fact that the technology is simply just not worth investing in for many other motor manufacturers.

And I like them.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Quick clear windscreens......... - Pete M
Heated windscreens in aircraft have used a thin film of metal between the laminations for many years. My experience is with the Lockheed Orion and Hercules, and they both date from the mid 1950s. The only visible indication is a slightly darker tint, but they will melt snowflakes in flight.
Perhaps the drivers that can see the wires in the QC screens are the same ones that find the water beads on a windscreen with rain repellent distracting. In both cases, I find the close objects on or in the screen become, if not quite invisible, at least non-intrusive. Some people have slight differences in their perception, so some immediately 'get' the hidden objects in the 3D dotty pictures, and some never do.
On similar (off-topic) note, I had always found that Ibuprofen (Nurofen) had no painkilling effect on me, and couldn't see why others thought it was so great. I recently found out that about 7% of the population lack a specific enzyme necessary for this drug to work, so I wasn't mad after all. Interestingly, my daughter has the same experience as me, while my sons find it works for them.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Avant
Is it still the case that some satnavs don't work with quick-clear screens?
Quick clear windscreens......... - Waino
Is it still the case that some satnavs don't work with quick-clear screens?>>

I can confirm that my Tomtom One (mk 2) works under the QC screens of both my Mondeo (mk 2) and SWMBO's Focus (also mk 2). Could it be that everything has to be 'mk 2' in order for satnav to work? ;-)

I think QC screens are wonderful. I generally don't see the wires as I focus well ahead on the road in front of me - the wires are therefore out of focus. In fog, then I agree, they do become more apparent - I believe that this is due to the greater uniformity of fog as a background and the fact that the the driver is not able to focus so far ahead.
I would think it's like everything else ~ the minority who dislike them make a big fuss about it, but the majority who like them just take them for granted and say nothing.
--
L\'escargot.
Quick clear windscreens......... - Westpig
my Tomtom Go500 is quite old and i was warned it might not work with SWMBO's QC screen and we might need an additional aerial or be careful where we put it in the car

it works perfectly, even to the extent we left it turned on but hidden under a coat on the floor at a service station and when we set off again....(having temp forgotten about it) it burbled into life from the floor
Just how quick are these windscreens at clearing frost?

Must admit in the 3 yrs we've had the van at work, I've never had to use the QC windscreen until this morning. Started it up and switched the heated mirrors and QC windscreen on (lights came on in switches to indicate being on) and proceeded to scrape the side windows. 1 or 2 mins later the windscreen was still frosted over and no signs of any of it melting. Ended up scraping the windscreen as well.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/11/2007 at 09:52

Quick clear windscreens......... - hillman1 {p}
Had 2 mondeos with QC windscreen- both worked well and I wasn't distracted at all by the wires- got used to them very quick. Even in very heavy frost it would clear the windscreen within about half a minute. Now got a Scenic and really miss the Heated Front Screen
Quick clear windscreens......... - b308
Must try to get in one of these Fords to see what all the fuss is about!

I must admit to hating dirty windscreens, inside or out, and yes, I don't like beads of water down the screen!

As regards the use of QC screens, I use a garage for my car and let my daughter leave hers outside to get frosted over, much less hassle! :-)
Quick clear windscreens......... - pyruse
I'm one of those who finds the wires irritating; it's not that you focus on them, it's that your eyes are constantly picking up 'something' in your field of view and it is distracting. Low sun makes it worse. I've driven several different Fords with these wires, for many thousands of miles (hire and company cars), and I never got used to them. I'd certainly never buy a car with wires in the windscreen.

Cars with aircon clear the screen in no time in winter anyway, and if starting from home I just use warm water, which clears the windows very fast.

Quick clear windscreens......... - a900ss
I got my first Ford in March and haven;t had to use the QC until now.

My car is an S-Max and the QC is fantastic. The S-Max has a very large windscreen and it would take an age to scrape it free from frost. Also, as others have pointed out, it doesn't re-frost again.

I'd never put warm water over a car to defrost the windscreen for fear of cracking the screen. Don't know what the risk is but I just wouldn't do it. Also, it it is a really cold day, that excess water will just freeze on your driveway causing a slip hazard.

I'm all for QC's
6.00am this morning. -3c. Thick frost on screen.

Jug of luke warm water on screen, wipers on to keep it clear. start car - off we go - 20 secs max.

Whats the agro? who needs wires?
------
< Ulla>
Polarised views!

I am firmly of the belief that we need more ambivelence these days !
Quick clear windscreens......... - Blue {P}
To those who say that A/C clears a screen as quickly as QC does, you're right but only when talking about mist, as soon as you get frost on the screen A/C is no better than any other car as it doesn't heat the air up any quicker. That's when Q/C comes into it's own.

I personally have been known to use the warm water method on the BMW in the morning, but it's a lot more difficult to obtain a jug of warm water when leaving the office at midnight (we pnly have Klix style machines, no kettles due to H&S). Now that I've got Q/C back (for the first time in a few years) I know that I'll just be able to sit my behind on the heated leather and let the screen clear itself, it normally takes about a minute dependant upon the thickness of the frost. It sounds like the Q/C in your van doesn't work at all DD!

Blue
>I know that I'll just be able to sit my behind on the heated leather and let the screen clear >itself, it normally takes about a minute

At 06:00 am, 1 / 2 minutes idling outside hacienda AE.... yes I can see that one.

PU do you deal with divorce cases?
------
< Ulla>
At 06:00 am 1 / 2 minutes idling outside hacienda AE.... yes I can see
that one.

Serves you right if you've got a clattery diesel.
--
L\'escargot.
>> At 06:00 am 1 / 2 minutes idling outside hacienda AE.... yes I can
see
>> that one.
Serves you right if you've got a clattery diesel.
--
L\'escargot.

You see that's why I have a car trhat just purrs like a kitten at tickover :-)

Anyway, you've already said, when you're at home you have the warm water method anyway!

Blue
It sounds like the Q/C in your van doesn't work
at all DD!

If you want to test it, take a cup of hot water into the car and deliberately mist up the screen. That's what I did when I had a replacement (non-genuine) screen and I wanted to confirm exactly how many of the wires didn't work.
--
L\'escargot.
It sounds like the Q/C in your van doesn't work at all DD!

Oh great! Not only is it useless in that I hate looking through it and getting distracted by the damn wires, it's useless in that it doesn't even work. Wonder if I can persuade the lease company to replace it with a standard windscreen?
Quick clear windscreens......... - paulb {P}
Oh great! Not only is it useless in that I hate looking through it and
getting distracted by the damn wires it's useless in that it doesn't even work. Wonder
if I can persuade the lease company to replace it with a standard windscreen?

Worth a punt if so - cheaper for a start.

From what you say it sounds as if it's u/s. If I leave my QC on while attending to the side windows the frost has melted enough to be disposed of by the wipers by the time I'm done (2 mins max).
Quick clear windscreens......... - paulb {P}
... and it seems to me that if you were unlucky enough to get hit by a large stone while you were out and about and needed the replacement quickly, you might only be able to get a standard screen.

AAAhem.
Cant believe anyone would 'choose' to replace a QC with a std screen:

www.specsavers.co.uk

;-)
DD ... I bet you used to be a Luddite in a previous life ;-)

Lud ... no disrespect to yourself ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Quick clear windscreens......... - JohnM{P}
LagunaII had quickclear windscreen listed in 2001 - but wasn't available for order (for unspecified reasons) when I tried.

More unusually:

Around 1976, at the Chipping Sodbury car auctions we came across a 3litre Austin (the pretty rare large land-crab). The first thing that we noticed was that the door hinges were shot - the doors dropped halfway to the ground when you opened them. However, we then noticed the Triplex redline heating elements in the opening side door windows! We presumed that the car had been on a development test bed, where the doors had been constantly opened and shut, to test the reliability of the contacts... Another idea that didn't make it to the market!
Quick clear windscreens......... - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Still miss the Ford Q/C windscreen 14 months after ditching the Mondeo. Prefer pretty much everything else about my new car, but the stone-age technology windscreen still irritates me everytime I have to a) scrape it or b) flick the wipers every few seconds to clear misting on coldish damp mornings. I probably used to switch the Q/C on 50% of mornings from late September through to March/April.

Yes, I could see the lines, but I soon got used to them (knew that I would from several thousand miles in rental Mondeos). I'd be interested to know if any of you who hate them have actually used a car day-in, day-out with a Q/C screen, without going back to anything normal?
Quick clear windscreens......... - Big John
Never have a problem with Ford/Volvo QC windscreens myself. I think one of the reasons that some people love it and some hate it is down to an individuals eye-sight i.e. focal distance and range. My distance eye sight is very good but my arms are a little short for reading.
I'd be interested to know if
any of you who hate them have actually used a car day-in day-out with a
Q/C screen without going back to anything normal?

I've had Quickclear screens for so long now that that's what I consider to be normal. It's the non-heated screens which are abnormal!
--
L\'escargot.
Quick clear windscreens......... - pm
Ok, Sat Navs. The problem is not to do with heated windscreens, but either 'heat reflective' windscreens, or 'solar' type glass.

Heat relective- the coating that is applied to the glass (w/s mainly), that gives a 'rainbow' type of appearance. Renault were and are big on this since the original Megane. This blocks/disrupts the reception. Thus the aerial needs to be placed against a different glass. Only a handful of cars have the coated glass all the way around the vehicle. S class for e.g. This means that it is a bit more awkward, as you have to feed the aerial elsewhere.

Solar glass. This does not appear any different to 'normal' glass, i.e., green glass will look the same as green solar. The difference is that there is more iron in the solar glass, thus disrupting the reception, in the same fashion as above.

I met up with a representative from a sat nav company a few years ago, who contacted the company i worked for. He wanted to know if the trademark would inform his technicians of any specifics as mentioned. Unfortunately, only a few glasses have this info, but a good w/s company can tell you if this is standard or an option on the vehicle.

Heated w/s.

Generally have been around for around fifty to sixty years. As someone mentioned, the original mini used a version in the rally cars with the bars visible some 60mm inside the top and bottom of the screen. Enthusiasts today, still request this type of w/s, so they can fully replicate the original for restoration.

I believe Ford patented the name Quiclclear but not the technology, but plenty of manufacturers use and have used it. Apart from Ford, Renault in all Lagunas, original Meganes, Master van, Safrane. Rover/BMW in the Metro and Minis. Jaguar, Porsche in the original 911. Scania, Volvo trucks, Iveco (Ford is a partner), Maercedes commercial vehicles, MAN trucks, ERF, BMW 5 & 7 series for many years for the wipers only at the bottom edge, SEAT for wipers and on and on it goes!!

Some who haven't include VW, Audi, Saab, Vauxhall.... Some vehicles had them made for specific reasons, i.e., police Vectras, Senators and Omegas.

Many people get confused, because they have a button with a w.s picture on it, but all that does is concentrate the blowers on it.

I think the long and short of the arguments are that if all manufacturers offered it as an option, then those who like it can have it, and those that don't, don't. Remember, you can always get an unheated fitted aftermarket!!

Personally, i think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially in commercial vehicles. Lets face it, most company and private vans don't have aircon. Jumping into a van when it is wet and cold mists it up in seconds. For me, having the blowers on the side windows, while the w/s demists using the heating elements really is superb. No dry eyes, no hand marks and defrosted wipers.

Sorry it is long, but i hope this helps everyone. Please feel free to ask any questions, i won't be offended!

Quick clear windscreens......... - John S
Yep, I find them a slight distraction in the daylight, but night time is when they particularly irritate me. The reflections off the wires make the screen apear to be slightly 'greasy'. I'm not a fan.

JS
Quick clear windscreens......... - MichaelR
The answer is clearly to become a student. I dont get out of my nice warm bed until the sunlight has melted the ice on my car.
The answer is clearly to become a student. I dont get out of my nice
warm bed until the sunlight has melted the ice on my car.

Hey, I have the best of both worlds, I work from home and have a QC screen when required!
As already stated I think these are the best thing since sliced bread but.....

Driving SWMBOs Galaxy around dusk last night I got a taste of why some people are so anti these screens. I have glasses with an almost pointlessly low prescription for seeing long distance - they have little effect in strong daylight but nightvision is notably improved. Waiting in traffic I lifted my specs onto my forehead (to rub my eyes or something) and there right in front of me were the zigzag wires running through the windscreen, particularly accentuated by brakelights or traffic lights, less noticable otherwise. When I put my glasses back they completely disappeared. Of course I spent the next ten minutes lifting and lowering them - wires, no wires, wires, no wires etc. Quite an eye opener.
Quick clear windscreens......... - bindi
I got the mondeo a few months back and find the quick clear windsceen is really bad while driving at night...oncoming headlights and tail lights and also streetlamps tend to make the screen have a diffused and greasey appearence which makes visability very poor, more noticeable when raining, has any one else noticed this?
my glasses back they completely disappeared. Of course I spent the next ten minutes lifting
and lowering them - wires no wires wires no wires etc. Quite an eye opener.

You sound loike Homer Simpson

Bed goes up, bed goes down, Bed goes up, bed goes down...
------
< Ulla>
I agree with John the windscreens are really bad, at night, its like someone has covered the screen with lard!!!
I'm starting to get convinced that there are a lot of defective screens out there!

They're not perfect and yes, you can see the wires a little in the dark when lights shine on them (keeping the screen really clean helps) but ultimately it's not *that* bad in my opinion, and certainly worth it for the functional benefit that they bring.

Blue
>>got the mondeo a few months back and find the quick clear windsceen is really bad while driving at night...a diffused and greasey appearence>>
really bad at night its like someone has
covered the screen with lard!!!

Reckon you have a greasy screen and are blaming it in being QC, wash it down, dry it then clean it with some vinegar on kitchen roll.
Tried cleaning the screen inside and out but that has not worked, my last mondeo had QC and I never had any problems with it at all,is it possible that there is a fault with the screen on the new mondeo?
it might have silicon on it bindi
i sometimes clear screens so contaminated with cellulose gun wash
kills all known watsits
dont smoke while doing it though
Quick clear windscreens......... - DP
I did 100,000 miles in 3 years in a QC equipped Focus, in all weathers, and all times of day and night. The only time I even noticed the heating wires was on an unlit country road in the headlamps of an oncoming car. Sometimes they would glint slightly in the light. Other than that, I really can't say I even noticed them unless specifically looking for them, much less that they annoyed me.
What I want to know is how I can remove the handprints (presumably of the windscreen fitter) that are seemingly permanently etched into the inner face of my replacement Quickclear windscreen.
Does anyone know offhand how much power the QCs consume? Probably quite a bit?

For aircraft IIRC the heated screens are necessary to maintain the strength of the laminate against the ?56 °C cold as much as for ant-ice purposes.

The Forester has obvious elements under the wiper blades at the front and back, but not whole screen.
Quick clear windscreens......... - old crocks
Does anyone know offhand how much power the QCs consume? Probably quite a bit?

My Haynes for a Focus 1 shows a 50A fuse for just the heated screen. I don't know what factor of safety they build in but it suggests quite a lot of power.
My Haynes for a Focus 1 shows a 50A fuse for just the heated screen.

..and my Haynes for a Mondeo II shows 2 x 30A ( one element each side )
Quick clear windscreens......... - Armitage Shanks {p}
My KA has the heated area in 2 halves - I don't know if it is one fuse for both or one each. It certainly causes an idling engine to hesitate when it is switched on - rather like a/c, and it has a timer which switches it off after only 4 minutes!
My Haynes for a Focus 1 shows a 50A fuse for just the heated screen.

>>..and my Haynes for a Mondeo II shows 2 x 30A ( one element each side )

So it's a good proportion of the alternator's output then. Add in lights, fan, and other heated things, and the battery could get depleted from short trips?
Quick clear windscreens......... - Old Navy
If I am doing local running in cold wet weather, (not often in Scotland), with all electrics and aircon in use, I put my battery on charge at the weekend. It takes a good few hours to top up at a rate of five amps.

Edited by Old Navy on 27/11/2009 at 20:00

Quick clear windscreens......... - Alby Back
That's interesting ON. My old Mondeo has electric everything, seat adjustment, heated seats ( which I don't use ) quickclear, rear heated screen of course, heated mirrors, AC, electric sunroof, blah blah blah.....Never changed or charged the battery in seven years and 170k. Famous last words spring to mind of course !
Quick clear windscreens......... - Old Navy
>>Never changed or charged the battery in seven years and 170k. Famous last
words spring to mind of course !

>>
My battery care is probably a waste of electricity, I am just a fussy old sod. :-)
^ sounds like a sensible precaution to take though, ON. As well as peace of mind, it's always satisfying to hear the engine jump into life without the starter labouring!
Quick clear windscreens......... - ifithelps
Marks on glass can be hard to remove.

Circles about the diameter of a coffee mug were clearly visible in each corner of the rear window of my last Focus.

I'm convinced they were from suction pads used to handle/fit the window at the factory.

These marks would not come off, despite seven years of routine cleaning.

Edited by ifithelps on 27/11/2009 at 16:49

Quick clear windscreens......... - christo
Well done all, it's great to see this old thread still up and running with the variety of replies.

Will it still be running in 2011.......

Cheers, Christo
Quick clear windscreens......... - james120

I've just bought a Focus with a Quickclear screen and am quite surprised by how poor the visibility is at night.

It's not about "getting used to it" or "focusing on the road, not the screen". This might be the case in day time use, but at night it really is like a film of gunge across the windscreen. It definately makes it less easy to see vulnerable road users like pedestrians and cyclists in the face of oncoming headlights.

Either certain screens have a manufacturing fault, or certain people's eyes respond differently to the patterning of reflected light.

If my windscreen were to get inadvertantly cracked I'd insist on a non-heated replacement.

Quick clear windscreens......... - outlier

The real solution as a proper engine pre-heating system, but no mass manufacturer I know has them.

Meantime quick clear is better than using a credit card.

Quick clear windscreens......... - injection doc

I have had quick clear screens for years including on my Jags and Fords and currently on my landrover, never been a problem at all. Are you sure the glass is clean on the inside and out ? I think quick clear screens are Fab. Did have a car with a webasto diesel heater and one with a Kenlow engine pre-heater fitted but QC's are best.