What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2002 - 1.4 engine, belt or chain? Average MPG? - spencer11
hi,

picking up civic today.

a few questions, what's the mpg like, any owners out there?

and is it a chain or belt?

i presume chain.

any owners with any views on the car, mines 2002 model.

thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/11/2007 at 10:32

2002 - 1.4 engine, belt or chain? Average MPG? - Screwloose

It's a belt - replace every 72K or 8 years. Around 2.5 hours.
2002 - 1.4 engine, belt or chain? Average MPG? - Saltrampen
Owned a 1.6 civic and have driven several 1.4's.
I believe the 1.4 is not a VTEC engine, but I maybe confusing it with the Jazz.
Personally I found the 1.4 engine more refined than the 1.6. However the top end power was not there as is the case with the 1.6 and the braking was weaker as many 1.4's come with rear drums. That said, it felt more comfortable when cruising and seemed to give 44 mpg rather than 39mpg on the 1.6. If your model has aircon, check it works as the condensers seem to pack in on many cars over 3 - 4 years old.
Check the wheel alignment by eye, as the complex rear suspension needs an expert to do the rear tracking, many have not been done properly. The wheel alignment both front and back is easily damaged by kerbing. In my opinion , if the tracking and suspension is not spot - on with these cars they can give a rather harsh ride. Also like many cars, they are sensitive to tyre brands, some brands give significant road noise. Check also for squeaky clutch pedals, binding rear brakes and clonks from the suspension (drop links or bushes worn). ...All the above needed doing on my 02 civic when I had it...
2002 - 1.4 engine, belt or chain? Average MPG? - spencer11
thanks for that.

bit surprised about the belt but i won't be too concerned, as any belts that have snapped haven't been honda ones really have they.

obviously i will get it changed in a year or two though.