What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - graham sherlock
I'm not one to start a filthy rumour, but after hearing on BBC Brekfast TV that there definitely was NOT a fuel shortage, how come the local Shell garage has been without diesel for 2 days at least, when they are usually on the ball. No, it's not a back-road operation, it's one of the biggest in Ipswich. To add to it, why are they queueing 7-8 cars at the remining petrol pumps. Is it me being paranoid? Or have I just started to undermine the UK economy?

Graham S.
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - Boggy
There's never any super unleaded at my local Tescos in Lowestoft! What's that all about?
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - bell boy
my local garage had no diesel for two days last week, the reason? they told me was because it was so cheap,i asked if they had bounced a cheque,
maybe there is fact behind the rumour
ps whats breakfast tv?
does the telly not blow up with milk going in the back accidently?
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - RichardW
Possibly to do with the fire at Coryton last week:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7070995.stm

Although this appeared to have been on part of the refinery to do with petrol products, rather than diesel products. Didn't make it onto national news, and no idea if the refinery has had a total shutdown since.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - Falkirk Bairn
There was a fire at the ex-BP owned refinery in Essex (Coryton near Stanford-le-Hope) - this may account for non deliveries rather than shortages.

There is plenty refining capacity elsewhere (UK & Europe) but after a fire alternative deliveries can take time.

On the other hand it may be as simple as "not enough tanker drivers" or the petrol station did not order enough.
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - DP
I wish our local Esso had run out of Unleaded this time last week. It might have saved me £125 getting the Scenic's tank drained ;-)

Yes, SWMBO is copping it quite a bit. I was particularly pleased when f-i-l started as well! lol

I reckon there's a fair bit of mileage in it yet! Another few weeks worth at least!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - normd2
maybe they can't afford to fill the tankers fuel tanks at these prices...

ok ok I'm going...
Fuel Shortage, what fuel shortage! - Falkirk Bairn
maybe they can't afford to fill the tankers fuel tanks at these prices...

More than a ring of truth in the above.

Large, (sorry very large) petrol outlet said he kept 1.5-2 days stock at most as he gets daily deliveries - this is fine until demand rises due to unforseen events or the daily deliveries do not appear.

I used to pass it daily and at least 1 day/mth you would see say 6 pumps out of action and the remaining 6 with queues.

The reason he pays for the petrol & diesel in his tanks virtually on delivery (there is no payment due in 28 days) - another 100,000 litres in the ground tanks would cost him at the bank.

Mind you he has probably not sat down and worked out what 12 hours with pumps out of action costs.