What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 TDCi - wobbling like a washing machine on spin - highflier
hi, i have owned this '03 mk3 mondeo tdci (reluctantly) for 4 weeks, apart from the rust problem i have found, it is also wobbling/juddering when you get up to speed on the motorway, i would say at around 60+mph it starts to get more noticable,

i have had the front wheels balanced and there is no judder coming through the steering wheel or pedals when braking, it seems to come from the rear, the passanger, rear seats and parcel shelf start to wobble, like i say, it feels and sounds like being inside an unsteady washing machine on spin,

has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be.

p.s, it passed its mot 4 weeks ago.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/10/2007 at 13:46

wobbling like a washing machine on spin - jc2
Check the back wheels are not bent and have them balanced.Alternatively,swap the back wheels to the front and see if problem changes ends,then balance-could just be a balance weight fallen off.
wobbling like a washing machine on spin - highflier
thanks, i suspected a buckled alloy myself and i will try that suggestion, although when i had the front wheels done they said it wasnt neccasary to do the back, i will go back there and get the back ones checked, cheers.
wobbling like a washing machine on spin - MW
I have heard this one before in tyre places, although it was some time ago. The idea that balancing the rears is less important than the fronts has a bit of truth in it, but not much. The rears still need to be balanced, otherwise they vibrate the bearings, brakes and the whole rear sub frame. If everything is balanced it will eliminate the most obvious source of the problem. While you are there get a four wheel tracking done, to eliminate the second most likely cause.
wobbling like a washing machine on spin - DP
Out of balance fronts will cause a wobble felt mostly through the steering.

Out of balance rears will cause a wobble felt through the seat and the entire car. It's true that small imbalances aren't as noticeable on the rear as they would be on the front, but it's true that they still need to be balanced.

It could also be an out of shape tyre or buckled wheel too - a good tyre outlet will be able to examine and advise accordingly.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
wobbling like a washing machine on spin - Saltrampen
The "Out of shape Tyre" is often used by some dealers to explain wobbles which are down to suspension / bearing/Hub defects. If a tyre is really out of shape, get them to show you which bit is out of shape and then explain why it is out of shape (suspension/tracking/damage). Replacing an out of shape tyre with a new one, may not solve the problem long term as the new tyre will become out of shape with time if a hub/tracking/suspension problem is the cause. As DP says a good outlet will advise what further maybe required.
I have found that rear vibration will vary depending on the loading put on the rear of the car.
wobbling like a washing machine on spin - TurboD
Did I read that Mondeos suffer from rear suspension wear on bushes?, not the estate.
Could it be this problem?