What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Polishing - Honda v VW - JH
I don't get the polish out very often but I do like to get a coat of the stuff on before winter sets in. So last weekend I polished wiff's Honda (Jazz). I'm using Meguiars cleaner / polish / wax so that's 3 separate applications and polishing off and every one of them went on & polished off a treat. And boy does it shine.

This weekend I did my VW (Passat) and I'm knackered. Every coat "stuck" to the paint and needed a lot of hard work to polish off. It looked like the paint was covered in thousands of tiny specks which caught and held the product. What's going on?

JH

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/10/2007 at 10:55

Polishing - Honda v VW - bell boy
i find this if the car has been previously polished and or not washed properly in its previous ownership
i end up cutting the whole body and starting again but it takes lots of quality cloths to achieve
or a very hot wash can sometimes help
i finish off with cheap brown brothers own polish these days though to protect my wallet (5 litres £15 ish)

these are the views of an idiot and are not the views of this site ;-)

Edited by bell boy on 07/10/2007 at 17:08

Polishing - Honda v VW - Bill Payer
thousands of tiny specks which caught and held the product.

Claying may well of got that off, but that really is a boring job.
Polishing - Honda v VW - Roger Jones
Yes, buy a clay bar or two and grit your teeth for a tedious job to de-grit the paintwork. Make sure you follow the instructions; this may be helpful:

www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

Bilt Hamber do a two-pack for £9.95 plus shipping.
Polishing - Honda v VW - J1mbo
You can also try a paint cleaner before claying. Zymol do an HD Clense. Also mix in a little citrus degreaser into your shampoo, this will help cut through grime and wax to leave the paint much cleaner. After clensing and claying, do your normal 3 stage process, but remember to "top up" the stage 3 once a month. You only need to clay once a year. The paint should feel like glass, totally smooth otherwise your just sealing in the sap/fallout. I guess the Jazz is garaged kept and the Passat is kept outdoors?

Jim
Polishing - Honda v VW - Blue {P}
Yeah, a Clay bar will solve this exact problem, I've had it before on several cars and just bought a new Clay kit last week, I need to do both cars though so it's not a job that I'm looking forward to!

Blue
Polishing - Honda v VW - JH
Thanks J1, and all. No they're both garaged, VW is older and mine from new so it looks like I have some bad habits. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
JH