What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.25 SI Zetec Heater Blowing cold air - dove49
Hi

My car was in the garage a couple of weeks ago for a new petrol tank, new clutch and brake adjustors. When i got my car back there was no water in the window washer pipe and the engine cooler tank was low, therefore i topped up both these with cold water. Since then my heater has just been blowing out cold air, regardless of the fact that the dial is on maximum temp, Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank You
1.25 SI Zetec Heater Blowing cold air - Screwloose
dove

If the engine isn't over-heating due to low coolant; then either you've got an airlock in the heater system, or the heater control system is US.

There's a plastic twin-pipe valve under a cover on the bulkhead at the rear of the engine. It's driven by a pulsed signal from either the heater panel or whatever sort of aircon that may be fitted. Very common failure - modified valve available.

With the system only warm but with some pressure in it; release the clip on one pipe and see if any air escapes.
1.25 SI Zetec Heater Blowing cold air - Rattle
I had this problem on mine, fixed it by changing the heater control valve. It now only blows hot air but I suspected the heater control panal was faulty a while go when the voltage did not change. (I have a spare heater control panal but its too much of a big job for me to myself).

Make sure you get the modded valve (is the 98F I think) and it will cost you about £40 from Ford.