What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.4 16V ABS; Pulsing upon braking - straffo
Just bought a 2nd hand Megane. When braking gently to a halt I can hear and feel a pulsing on the brake pedal just for the last second or so until car stops.

No problem with braking function and it doesn't happen on hard braking, just a bit irritating, anyone got any ideas?!

Thanks!!
s
ABS; Brakes pulsing - Screwloose

A second-hand Megane? So it's probably not an '07 then....?
ABS; Brakes pulsing - DP
Early stages of warped discs?
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
DP

The ABS is functioning - but with insultingly few ["guess which Megane?"] car details, which of seven different ABS systems used on various models over the years?

Rings? Active sensors? What?
ABS; Brakes pulsing - madf
If a trade sale, ask vendor to sort it out. FOC.

If a private sale, why did you not test it before you bought it?
madf
ABS; Brakes pulsing - straffo
Apologies for lack of detail, its a 2002 Renault Megane 1.4 16V Fidgi hatchback.

It was a private sale, I did take it for a test drive around empty country lanes near sellers home and it was fine; this problem only exhibits itself say in traffic when you just apply the brakes quite lightly and going quite slowly.

OK; just as you come to rest, one of the ABS wheel speed sensors loses it's signal and the ABS activates as it thinks that you've locked that wheel.

Possible causes are a loose reluctor [toothed] ring on a front driveshaft; a worn wheel-bearing or a sensor blinded by debris or rust.
ABS; Brakes pulsing - straffo
OK thanks a lot for your suggestions, all sounds logical, I'll try and check some of these out at the weekend.
Cheers!
ABS; Brakes pulsing - Xena
I have a 1999 Clio mk.2 that does exactly the same thing. Traced to a broken tooth on the wheel sensor reluctor ring. Also, check that the the ring isn't cracked or loose on the wheel hub, as this can sometimes be a problem. Don't worry too much though - mine's been doing this for years without any adverse effect on braking performance or safety.