What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insurance for my 17yr old son and me on a Mazda 2 - Turbodog
Like the look of the new Mazda 2 and fancy the 1.3 82 model. It's Insurance group 5 though; will that make it prohibitively expensive when I want to add my son to my policy to drive it when he turns 17 next year?
s
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - local yokel
Use on of the online insurance quote sites and put in his age at 17 now - and then put in a group 1 car for comparison.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - Aprilia
I'm not an insurance expert but I'm guessing there won't be a terrific difference (percentage wise) between a Mazda 2 and a Group 1 car. I think both will be very dear; e.g. £2k for the Grp 1 car and £2200 for the Mazda, something crazy like that anyway. Please post back your results though, I will be interested to hear the exact figures.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - Turbodog
I tried Tesco and Elephant. You were right, expensive and little difference between a 1.4 Mazda 2 (new model not listed yet) and a Ford Ka. Annual premiums quoted were between £1150 and £1250. There must be a cheaper way of doing this, but I don't want him driving an old car with 3rd party only....
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - gmac
Do Norwich Union still do the spy in the boot insurance ?
Maybe that would work out cheaper for a young driver. I personally wouldn't have such a thing in my car but it might help reduce your premium.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - local yokel
> There must be a cheaper way of doing this, but I don't want him driving an old car with 3rd party only

There won't be ... and TPFT won't be much cheaper than Comp.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - rtj70
And an old car vs. new car won't be much difference. Insurance expensive because of the risk a young male driver is deemed to be. Your car could be worth nothing but an accident could cost millions. Hence high premiums to try to keep the risks off the road. Sadly many then drive without any insurance...

I assume if your son is going to be on the Mazda insurance you will be the main driver, i.e. doing the majority of miles with them driving occasionally.
I assume if your son is going to be on the Mazda insurance you will
be the main driver i.e. doing the majority of miles with them driving occasionally.

yes that's the plan...
Their website says they do, as a 'pay as you drive' policy. However i don't think it will differentiate between different drivers ie allowing me to drive frequently at a lower premium and my son to drive infrequently at a higher premium...
I'll have to look at the pay as you drive option. Wife wants son (when he passes) to be on her insurace. Does not believe me it could be about £1300 extra per year! And if he's on it, he will drive to college instead of getting lifts and then becomes the main driver.... wife works locally now.

She did say "how would they know" which for now I ignored ;-) Answer of course they won't until there's a problem and then find he's not insured.... and she has not worked out the excess for him is going to be easily £600 and possibly as high £800. For a car now worth £1200-£1400!

Report back on your research (if more than this forum). I for one am interested.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - Bill Payer
When my kids were learning to drive (about 6yrs ago now) we, and pretty well all of our friends used CIS (Co-op). They do (or at least, did) cover for any driver any age. You have to declare that youngsters will be driving and the excesses for them are higher (but that's normal).

I don't know if you'll find it competitive - it *was* a relative bargain at first - we had Mrs BP's 1.6 Clio (grp 6) and then the group 3 Jazz on that policy for a few years and it started off at about £400 but crept up over the years to about £750 and by the then the kids were a few yrs older and we moved a couple of years ago to a named driver policy with Frizzell.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - Bill Payer
Another, slightly 'off the wall' one to try is NFU Mutual. We live in a rural area though. I think you have to contact a local office to get a quote (like you used to have to do with CIS).
Our problem is we live in a nice area but inside the M60.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - Dulwich Estate
If it helps, Direct Line were happy to add my 17-year old son on to the 306 policy for around £1 a day plus about £10 admin charge. It's limited to 90 days a year and just about works for us when he's at uni (without car) for half the year.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - catsdad
confused.com are agood source - you put in all the data once and their system checks a lot (but not all) of companies. We are on the same quest for a 17 year old getting insurance on his own car, prices are about £1600 for TPF&T for a group 5. Group 1 is about £200 less and having "Passplus" is about £200 less again. If anyone can identify (legitimate - lying about the main user is not an option!) savings on these figures I'd be very interested. I'll try NFU as suggested as we live in a rural area.
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - hjd
You don't have to live in a rural area to use NFU.
We currently have my 17yo daughter, on a provisional licence, insured as the main driver on her V reg Ka - cost £535 TPFT - no change to premium when parents added as named drivers. This is with quinn direct. A friend has changed to NFU to add her 17yo daughter and was very happy with the premium.
Confused.com were not at all competitive.
I know boys are much more expensive - we had better start saving, as son is currently 14.5!
Mazda 2 for me and 17y old son - catsdad
Rural or not, the NFU website simply refers out to AA and RAC! We've also just tried Norwich Union but you need to be 18 for pay as you drive and even on 400 miles a month, outside the high risk night hours, they want £1700 plus. HJD thanks for your comment on confused-com being expensive but, so far, they are my cheapest option and thats a Quinn Direct price. I've also gone direct to Quinn online and the price is the same as confused.com, down to the last penny. I've no brief for confused so if anyone has cheaper possibilites I'm more than happy to try them. I suspect however that its just a question of slogging through a few more sites, there won't be a "one size fits all" answer.