What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - Ben {P}
My mother part exchanged her car at a Honda main dealer. Signed the registration document, did as she was instructed by the dealer etc.

Now she has received a letter from the DVLA informing her she must pay a fine for failure to tax vehicle/failure to inform vehicle sold to a motor trader. Is it not normal procedure for the trader to send of the V5 /3 bit, and or register with the DVLA that they have the vehicle in their possession and hence does not require road tax? The vehicle was taxed when it was delivered to the dealer on the day of exchange. The tax disk was removed and sent to the DVLA for a refund. The dealer then stuck the car through a BCA auction. I guess the DVLA are pursuing her for the period between cashing in the tax and the day BCA registered they had sold the vehicle?

I have suggested she call the call the dealer and if they will not help, Honda directly? Is this wise or should she just cough up and pay the fine?

DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - vito
Call the DVLA, have the full details to hand and keep a cool head.
They are, in my experience, very understanding people to deal with. Make sure you ask for a letter of confirmation when they, hopefully, see your point of view. Best of luck.
P.S. make sure your mother is with you when you phone, they will ask. DVLA website is very easy to find, all contact details are there.
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - bell boy
she personally should have sent off the top right hand bit off to swansea its her sworn duty as a uk residento to do this,its written in words on the v5c and its the law,sorry
If its any help i think the garage people were cads for not explaining the system and giving her the slip back but obviously all garage men are the same so its up to the poor citizens out there to not let these boy wonders get the better of us hard working workers.
somebody will be along in a minute to show you how to fill in a small claims form against the garage and its cat ......good luck
and toodle pip

ps...........has she explained to dvla the situation as sometimes they take a holding hand on the situation and waive the fine,i think if garage were the tax weigh in people then they are guilty of theft if they failed to log as the new owners anyway so can she use this as an angle??????
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - Ben {P}
I have just got some more details. She wrote to the DVLA and said she sold the car to xxxx. They have just replied and said they will update their records as to whom the current owner is, however she still has to pay the fine.

When a dealer takes on a car do they not have to notify the DVLA at all? I thought they did, but did not have to go on the V5 as a registered keeper unless they had the car for longer than three months?
when car goes into the trade it goes into a black hole and could literally go through 20 hands before it is sold to a private person,in this time it could have killed maimed or done a blagging this is why the last owner (your mum) fills in the top right hand corner and ideally sends it registered post to swansea,if she doesnt get a confirmation letter within 6 weeks confirming she is no longer the keeper then you can take it as red the letter never arrived,if you ring them 6 weeks and one day you get fined,they are very intransigent on this and its very annoying for people trying to keep unlawful cars off our roads most times i give swansea 10/10 but they sure have lost some points with me this year because post has gone missing

to summarise top right hand corner of v5c the seller of the car MUST send this themselves no matter what the buyer says and i recommend registered post at £1.04

ok?
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - vito
Monday morning - call the DVLA. Happens every day.
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - ijws15
This happened to us when we bought the first Audi - They assured us they would send it off.

They paid the fine and apologised!
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - Saltrampen
Agree with ijws,
Many main dealers say they will deal with the V5 (did they do that in your case? if not should have handed you back the transfer slip). Most are good and send off your bit.

With someone like Honda, I would approach the dealer and tell them that they failed to either send off the transfer slip or hand it back for the customer to send off and therefore should pay the fine. If no luck speak to Honda customer service. Honda have a reputation for selling cars to the retired and pensioners, so this sort of thing tarnishes their reputation if indeed they were forgetful.

DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - Bill Payer
When we bought our Honda we p/x'd our previous car and the salesman was almost insulted that I wanted to send the slip of myself - he said they normally deal with it.
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - daveyjp
It's 2007 - shouldn't dealers be able to do all this sort of admin online by now?
they are still working on the system at dvla although its been promised online for nearly a year now
still up to the recorded keeper though,i dont understand the problem to be honest,get the dealers stamp whack the slip in an envelope send it to swansea with a stamp on,your responsibilities stop,hardly world changing is it?
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - pd
It will be online sometime next year - the DVLA are introducing a system whereby dealers who have signed up for the service can do it directly. Don't think it will be available to the general public and may cost so maybe not all dealers will sign up.

From a legal point of view, if is the sellers responsbility to inform the DVLA, not the purchaser, including when the purchaser is a dealer.
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - BobbyG
Well I am in the same boat. traded my Scenic in to dealer in June only dealer gave the the part of the document back for me to sign and post away.

I did this as I remember that i also posted the tax disc back at the same time, in the same letter box (obviously different envelope though).

I got my cheque back for the tax disc remainder but today get a letter in , Failure to relicense vehicle, and a penalty of £40.

The envelope has obviously got lost somewhere between Glasgow and Swansea - will DVLA be understanding ? They will be able to check their records and see my tax disc rebate being issued although I realise that probably won't count for anything!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
DVLA fine for no road tax on a sold vehicle - Armitage Shanks {p}
Royal Mail has admitted selling off thousands of items that got 'lost in the post' to help meet its running costs. The troubled company sells the contents of about 75,000 undelivered packages every year, at the risk of enraging hordes of customers already frustrated that their post has gone astray.

Even customers who paid over the odds for premium 'secure' services to cover valuable items have been shocked to find their goods put up for auction, in an operation that could be netting the postal giant millions of pounds a year.

Who is to say that yours is not one of these? This number (above) is items thay can't deliver, for whatever reason. I think the admitted losses are over 250,000 items a year. BTW, if a NIP is presumed to have been received by you if the police say thay have posted it, surely the same applies to your form to DVLA? You posted it so they 'must' have received it!