What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What makes you love a car? - Mad Maxy
And do you love yours?

I?m prompted to ask by discussion on another thread, in which I said I admired my BMW 320d for its competence and its efficiency but didn?t love it. On reflection I?ve only loved three cars in just under 30 years of car ownership (and ?stewardship? where company cars were concerned) ? that?s 19 cars in total. They were:

Beetle 1303 ? my first car; I thought it was wonderful and was genuinely sad to see it go.

Mk II Golf GTI 16V ? bought soon after they were introduced (1987). Absolutely superb build quality and, with 137 bhp (in a relatively light car) I could be pretty much the quickest on the road.

Porsche Carrera 993 ? looked gorgeous, wonderful flat-six with 272 bhp and sounded terrific, especially with a modded exhaust; effortless performance (obviously).

Maybe a 1998 BMW 323i came close; that was a company car but it was a treat to own and that straight-six engine made a lovely noise.

For me to love a car it has to:

- Be a sharp, sure-footed handler (or course)
- Be free of irritations
- Have a great ? and great-sounding ? engine.

And the last point is why I rather fancy a TT 3.2 or a 350Z or a 6-cylinder Z4 for a bit of fun!

So what makes you love a car (as opposed to regarding it as a transport device)? And do you love yours?
What makes you love a car? - BazzaBear {P}
It has to feel 'special', but I'd be hard pressed to define what gives it that feeling.
Looks, sound, character (another thing that is hard to define in itself) all contribute.

My Alfa 145 QV, Fiat Coupe 20VT and current Alfa 156 GTA SW all qualify.
My Vauxhall Astravan, Volvo 440 and Mitsubishi Colt GTi did not.

The 1981 Aston Martin V8 Vantage I had for a weekend took it a bit further into the realms of unhealthy obsession, despite the fact that I didn't own it.
What makes you love a car? - SteVee
I loved my Lancia Monte Carlo - which I owned nearly 30 years ago !
I've not felt sorry to see any other car - company or private - go.

There's not a single car made today that I want to own - more to do with the state of traffic here in Southern England rather than the cars themselves. The one exception would be a Caterham 7 for track use only
What makes you love a car? - madf
At night when you drove along by the light of the two headlamps, the bonnet mascot illuminated by the glow, the two warning lights on top of the headlamps glowing dimly, the polished british racing green of the bonnet extending into the darkness.

The feel of real wood abd leather, the precision feel of the gearlever like a rifle bolt, the suspension transmitting the road message to your hands, the purr of the exhaust and the growl of the six cylinder engine and the massive carburettor pouring in petrol as you acclerated effortlessly, the quiet as you frewheeled along, the fast winddown drivers window, the tools in a lined tray under the dashboard, the fuel guage doubling as an oil level guage, and the sunroof enabling you to smell the clean night air.

I refer to a 1946 Rover 16 I owned...sigh..

(I omit the overheating and vapour lock on hot days, 19mpg , axle shake , heavy steering, suicide doors and minimal boot space.)
madf
What makes you love a car? - Citroënian {P}
Not mine but I did love the Avantime when I had it.

Of all the cars I've owned, it was only for the first ZX I owned (first car owned from new) that I felt any affection for. Black 3dr 1.9D avantage. Great car, liked it more than the volcane that replaced it tbh.
What makes you love a car? - Mapmaker
1984 W123 230E Merc with 200,000+ miles in cream, cost £400 when 20 years old, including full tank and iirc 6 months tax and ticket. My friends nicknamed me Rommel and it the Staff Car.

I smiled every time I saw it, and had a great time over three months until some toerag nicked it. What a handsome car.
What makes you love a car? - ForumNeedsModerating
Usually the things I realise I miss when I get a new one! '

..you don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

'Twas ever thus.

What makes you love a car? - Xileno {P}
Vague unassisted steering
Heavy drum brakes with no ABS
Lots of noise, vibration and discomfort.
Thirsty and slow.

But

Reliable
Easy to fix
Soft top
And lots of fun, fun, fun

It is of course a Series 2 Land Rover...
What makes you love a car? - boxsterboy
I love all cars, but some more than others.

I love all cars because ... the freedom they give, the flexibility to go where you want, when you want. Something that no other form of transport can do (including bikes!) in total comfort and privacy. (Which is why public transport has such an uphill struggle!)

I love the tactility, the feel of the car around the bends, again some more than others. I love the challenge of taking the bend just right, of driving as smoothly as possible, as efficiently (speed vs. economy) as possible regardless of engine size, of getting a perfect gearchange, of ... well, you know what I mean!
What makes you love a car? - OldHand
Nice thread idea.

First love was a Mini 1275GT despite the rust. Made me feel like a rally driver and I was the terror of the local lanes until it blew up. Still that was just an opportunity to put a bored out engine in there to go with the infamous big PECO.

Next up was my 205GTi 1.9, despite ill advised comments I've seen from people who probably once drove a ropey old one these cars are considered classics for a reason. Steering feel, razor sharp handling and on demand lift off oversteer are some of it's delights. Love is blind remember so I won't count the dodgy electrics, leaky sunroof and super light touch needed on throttle/clutch to avoid kangarooing down the road against it. Still the only car I really wish I still owned and fondly remembered for showing 911 drivers the way round the Indy circuit at Brands- till they dropped out of my rear view mirror that is.

Audi RS2-the ultimate development of Audi's 2.2 5 cylinder turbo. Chipped (that's how we did it old skool stylee) to 400bhp this car had performance that would destroy a 911 Carerra from 60 to 140mph after which the Porsche's aero advantage starts to tell.
Four up, a boot full of luggage and with a top box on I still managed over 270kph and swept arrogant BMW and Mercedes drivers out of lane 2 of the autobahn with a disdainful flex of the right foot. Not only that it had the most supremely cossetting leather Recaros I've ever sat in. Add to that exclusivity, top notch brakes from the Porsche Turbo and you have the best dog basket I ever owned.

Until my B7 RS4. 400bhp+ V8, fade free ceramic brakes, awesome seating (the seat bolsters inflate to hug you) and room for Fido in the back. I'm still learning the limits of this car but it's truly the best all rounder I've ever owned. It sounds like a NASCAR racer and yet is happy to pootle around at the speed of a dismal diesel driver. Only problem is that it needs a 200ltr fuel tank. I've had as low as 180miles from a tank!
What makes you love a car? - Lud
Like boxsterboy, I like all vehicles, for the reasons he gives, and because they are complex enough and variable enough between examples to have on corporate and individual levels something resembling personality.

If I may quote myself:

'On one level this desire is associated with ?pride of ownership? and the sensuous exercise of a cluster of skills resulting in rapid or anyway agreeable movement, analogous to a fondness for horses. On another, as Ehrenburg seems to imply, it reflects a flawed or skewed psychology integral with the flawed or skewed nature of our capitalist, and now globalized, society: a psychology that makes it possible to enjoy cars without wishing to deny the inhumanness of the automobile or the inhuman and dehumanizing way it is made, sold, promoted and supplied with fuel and roads.'
Stuff being cocooned in your own metal box, doing the hard work. I cannot recommend highly enough a train from Inverness to London, first class. Gin, claret and a fine picnic in an entirely empty first class carriage. Driving is a pretty poor substitute - and very expensive too.
But surely cheaper than 1st class, Mapmaker?
Not a GNER special £25 ticket.

1st class??

That is excellent value.

But i would still rather drive ;-)
London to Inverness = 574 miles. At 55 mpg (easily done) =10.44 gals or 47.6l @ 96p/l = £45.74.

If you take the train, you have to travel each end to/from station. Say £10.

Which means driving costs £10 more, and in my opinion is worth every penny for the added flexibility, ability to wander off and explore if you chose, etc.).

(Yes, this excludes wear and tear and depreciation (the later would happen anyway), but your taxes are subsidising the railways, and without them we would all save even more - but that arguement is for another thread!)
What makes you love a car? - billy25
Don?t really know what makes me ?love? a car, over the years I?ve had loads, each has had features I liked, each has had features I haven?t, but can?t really say I?ve actually ?loved? any of them! I suppose to be honest I ?must? have secretly harboured ?something? for my D reg (1986) Vauxhall Carleton 1.8L, (pampered and Pristine), on the day I traded her in for a three year younger Vauxhall Senator 3.0, all I can remember is the sudden rush of anger and sadness, as a ?grease-monkey? came out of the workshop in his manky overalls, jumped in, started her, and disappeared around the back in a cloud of tyre-smoke!!!! All this as my ?new pride n joy? was being proudly edged out of the showroom by a ?beaming? salesman. Somehow it just seemed to take the shine off the day. Sad really!

Billy.

What makes you love a car? - bell boy
you cant beat gunning a p/x especially if the px"er has told you it had a name like percy
You're so unkind sometimes bb... :o)

A few years ago the price of silver rose and a lot of old dears were selling their old, but solid, silver tea sets etc. for their scrap value. One TV programme got this wide boy to buy an elegant silver cup off this old dear and then stamp it flat on the pavement in front of her, the camera zooming in on her face as he did so. Great TV, but not kind.
What makes you love a car? - Altea Ego

I am pretty sure the LNER £25 special ticket does NOT include the gin, claret and picnic.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
What makes you love a car? - J Bonington Jagworth
"gin, claret and picnic"

What's the picnic for? When the train breaks down and you have to eat trackside..?
What makes you love a car? - barney100
GNER 1st class ticket, Inverness to London...£25.00? It,s more than that from Basingstoke to Waterloo 1st class....wot's going on?
What makes you love a car? - Pugugly {P}
BMW 330d E46, Found it difficult to "Love" a car since that went, my E39 530d came close, but I didn't love it, and haven't really "loved" any of its successors. I still get to drive the E46 now and again and nothing changes the feeling it generated. That engine did it for me...
GNER 1st class ticket Inverness to London...£25.00?

He means £250.00 plus VAT.
What makes you love a car? - Avant
MM's 3 criteria are just right - handling, lack of irritations and great / great-sounding engine. My A4 Avant 2.5 TDi (2004-06) ticked all those boxes, and I'd add reliability as a fourth point. The new Golf estate is doing well so far apart from 'great-sounding'.

One's first car is of course something special if it was a good one - I have very fond memories of my 14-year-old Austin A50 with its lovely easdy column gearchange, terrific leather seats and that splendid Austin flying-A mascot. And it never let me down.
What makes you love a car? - J Bonington Jagworth
I think I've loved all my cars, but for different reasons. Except for an ancient Mk.1 Corolla my great-aunt gave me, but then I didn't choose that!

The Italian cars (an Alfasud and a Lancia HPE) were the most entertaining, though.
What makes you love a car? - PoloGirl
First car was a J reg FIAT Uno when I was 18, which really lived up to it's "fix it again" reputation. I saved up all my £1350 from my saturday job to buy him. He didn't have a name, but we endured months of being told I'd flooded the engine and it turned out to be a faulty ECU. I learned a lot about cars with that one - it had a manual choke! When the time came to part exchange him for Polo the man at VW put a token £100 on the part ex bit of the form, and I think he probably went to the scrap heap in the sky.

The Uno lasted 3 years and the night before I was taking him in to be part exchanged, I had to take him for a little drive to explain that it wasn't his fault, he just wasn't up to the drive up to university and I needed a stronger car to do all that motorway driving. I even played him that Lighthouse Family song that goes "We are gonna beeee, together, you and meeee." I couldn't look back once I'd handed the keys over, but from then on there was only one car in my life...

Polo! It really was love at first sight. After all day looking at cars, we decided to try VW as it was on the way home. They clearly didn't have anything I could afford but just as we were walking back to the car, I saw his little smiley grill just poking round the corner. "You can't look at that one, it's only just come in on part ex and we haven't cleaned it yet." That was not going to stop me. After a wheelspin out of the carpark on the test drive, we were destined to be together.

I loved Polo - he represented leaving home, growing up and going to uni for me. We survived five years, 80,000 miles and three crashes together, and he protected me through all of them, when traffic officers told me if I'd been in a fiesta or saxo of the same age, I wouldn't be here now. I made stupid mistakes in that car, which have made me a better driver today. When my other half found himself between jobs and without his company car, it was Polo who stepped up to the challenge of driving him round the country to various interviews, and he looked so small next to his eventual companion, the Passat estate.

In the end I got my first job out of university and Polo just wasn't up to the business miles I do. He was also getting to the stage where he was going to need a new gearbox. A very attractive company leasing deal called, and Gunther Golf was the eventual choice. It took me six weeks after he arrived to put Polo up for sale, and I turned down a couple of callers because of where they lived - I wanted Polo to go to a nice area in his old age!

I wasn't expecting the people who came to look at Polo to take him away that day (thought they would pay a deposit, sort insurance and come back, but the man was covered for any car) so we didn't get to do our farewell drive together. When we were filling in the paperwork I made some excuse about needing to check the milage, and went and had a chat with Polo about all the good times we'd had, and how he was going somewhere where he wouldn't have to do all those motorway miles. I couldn't watch them leave - my other half was driving to Scotland that night and he rang me (on the hands free!) and said I'd cried on the phone so long that he had got from the Stoke junction to just past the lake district! I was so sad, and I still get a bit misty eyed when I think about what Polo is doing now... what if she didn't realise he is a boy and has put those stupid "princess on board" and fluffy things in him? :(

I don't think I'll cry when Gunther goes, and I dont love him like Polo, but we have a grown up understanding - he knows he's got a job to do, and I do love driving him.

(And after that post, I think I'd better get my coat while there is a shred of my hard nosed moderator reputation remaining!)

What makes you love a car? - aaflyer
You really are lachrymose, aren't you :)

AA
What makes you love a car? - PoloGirl
Not normally, no! It must have been love :)
What makes you love a car? - Avant
I think (without in any way being sexist) that being a girl means you can get away with saying exactly what you feel and sounding quite natural about it. PG has expressed better than any of the rest of us how she felt: I felt much the same about my Audi but couldn't have put it nearly so eloquently.

We men have to look for reasons to justify what we say - in fact you can feel affection for something inanimate which is part of your life just as you can for another person, or an animal - and there doesn't have to be a 'why'. In a strange way a car is more part of your life than other inanimate objects - I can't express why but PG at least will understand.
What makes you love a car? - Blue {P}
Hmm, I've only ever truly loved 2 cars out of the ones that I've owned so far (that would be 9 or 10 vehicles).

My 2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec, she was baby blue in colour and her face was clearly visible in the dashboard where the air vents, hazard warning switch and the top of the CD player came together in what was unmistakably a pair of eyes, a nose, and a mouth. She took me all over the country, I had loads of adventures in her and she never, not once, let me down. She also protected me from a moronic Newcastle taxi driver and was just generally a little star. I really was genuinely upset when I sold her, although was pleased that she was bought by a lady and her adorable daughter who I hope had as much fun with her as I did. I know they put a private plate on to make her look nicer.

The last true love of my life was my BMW 323Ci, what an elegant beauty she was, she was a few years old, and was starting to show the odd wrinkle, but she aged more like a fine wine than an old piece of machinery. Every time I started her she spoke to me with a reassuring purr, she wafted me about with a sure footedness that no other car ever has. She was comfortable, she made me feel safe, she looked after me when a taxi driver decided to try and drive through me, she was just a genuinely lovely car. Sadly she had extensive damage from a previous relationship that I just couldn't justify putting right, and I part-ex'd her for the TF. I felt like a genuine cheat that day, and yes, I did look back at her as I drove off in my current mistress and wondered whether I was making the right decision.

Now, 6 months later, I know that I wasn't. I just miss her, and I can't ever get her back. If anyone who reads this is driving V390 FCB please give her a polish for me.

Blue
What makes you love a car? - Mad Maxy
Nice stuff, folks! I can't say I've been as attached to a car in the same way as PG (you big softie :-)), though the Beetle came close. BTW, I remember the then Mrs MM and I drove in it to the cinema where 'The Love Bug' (was that what it was called?) was showing. As we were walking back to the car in the multi-storey, we heard a kid say to his mum and dad "Look, it's a Herbie-car!" I felt so proud.

More sensibly... and to echo another post, you've got to love a car in which great gear-changes - including double-declutching down-changes when you feet seem to dance effortlessly on the pedals - come naturally!
What makes you love a car? - madf
"including double-declutching down-changes when you feet seem to dance effortlessly on the pedals - come naturally!"

Hmm on the Rover 16 if you used the freewheel, gearchanges were clutchless:-)

My first car was a 1929 Riley 9 and there you HAD to double declutch - on account of the 4 speeds being without synchromesh.. by design...

madf
I wont go all dewey eyed and soft about the cars I loved. The Touran has made me hard and cold hearted about cars.

One single enduring theme seems to exist throughout this thread. Its how our first car made us grow up, learn, a right of passage.
Something to work for and earn money to buy, to keep running. Something we have a responsibility for to keep running and keep legal. Something that can be cruel to us. Something that has consequences following our actions.

But ultimately something that gave us our freedom, to fly the nest, to grow up, and provide fun and experiences. I dont love any cars, but I love the memories they brought.
I was quite fond of Lola the Laguna tho. She was the first car for ages that I would open the curtains to peek at on the drive and say good morning to. I abused her badly and in return she saved my life. I suppose you gotta love anyone that does that for you.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
What makes you love a car? - Number_Cruncher
You lot are crackers! How can you **love** a lump of metal, plastic, rubber, and glass? What complete nonsense!

The only hearts truly warmed by this thread are those of the marketing men - their message has clearly been taken up, or should I say absorbed?

Number_Cruncher
You lot are crackers! How can you **love** a lump of metal plastic rubber and
glass? What complete nonsense!

well said NC, I would expect no lesser comment from a computer! (said very TiC of course!)
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
NC - may not be love in the dictionary but there is an emotional buy in, cars/bikes are more than the sum total of their parts.......
What makes you love a car? - y2k+4
Only car I've owned I loved: Ford Focus mk1 1.6 5dr LX. Build was first rate, despite 100,000miles no squeaks or rattles, it was comfortable, ridiculously fast for a basic humdrum family car, drove like an absolute dream, and just had character by the bucketload. It had its faults, these helped in my opinion.

By comparison the 1.6 TDCi 110 Focus 2 LX I have now is a dog. Rattles. Cheaper plastics abound inside, with less equipment. Feels slow. Rubbish mpg for a diesel. Drives well, but not as well as the mk1. And no character at all. It's a faultless tool, and none the better for it.
What makes you love a car? - Big Bad Dave
"You lot are crackers! How can you **love** a lump of metal, plastic, rubber, and glass?"

Well, my first wife was a Scouser so anything's possible.

I feel nothing towards most cars, then I'll drive a real car like a Jag XJ or big Merc and when I get back in my 406 and I'll positively detest it.

I have loved Jags since The Saint drove an XJS. I absolutely love them.

What makes you love a car? - barchettaman
.......She was the first car for ages that I would open the curtains to peek at on the drive and say good morning to...........

As opposed to opening the curtain airbags, to peek out at the emergency services driving at pace?
Saw a damaged red XJS on the back of a transporter on the M6 yesterday....felt a pang when I saw it...it was a pre HE type.
What makes you love a car? - tintin01
Loved my metallic grey 1989, Saab 900 turbo. Didn't have to get in it, just liked looking at it from the window of the front room. Made me smile just sitting in the seat.

Unfortunately, turned out to be a right pile of doo-doo electrically wise, let me down quite a lot and got part-exed when I had a baby and needed a reliable car. Wish I'd kept it and had it sorted out though. I still look longingly at ones that are the same colour.

Also loved a Rover 820 that we had previously. Our first grown up (ie not cheap) car. Fast and so comfy. Impressed everyone. Again, totally unreliable. Had it a few months then got a massive repair bill (out of warranty).

The cars that have been reliable for us (ie Mitsubishi's), I haven't loved.
What makes you love a car? - Number_Cruncher
While I was a little provocative in the way that I made my post, I really don't think that excessive attachment to cars is a good thing - in fact I think it's damaging, and not something to be celebrated at all.

It's one of the things that is causing quite a bit of strife between my parents in law. He is car mad, and dotes over his Focus. She therefore won't drive it, for fear of upsetting him over some minor mistake. This means that he has to drive, and as his powers are failing, it would be far better if she drove. But, *love* of the car actively prevents this!

Perhaps excessive love of cars has made us view their purpose in a skewed and not all-together healthy way - of course, this is via the designs and constructs of those wicked people who market and advertise the products. Instead of valuing where the cars can take us, and who they allow us to see and visit, we lavish too much thought and effort on something that can never smile back or tell us a joke.

Number_Cruncher
I will never forget the sense of freedom I got once I had passed my test. I celebrated by driving down to the coast where we had gone sailing for years. The trip was from Hertfordshire to Brightlingsea. For years Dad drove us there and back every weekend, goning cross-country (no M25 in those days), and me not really paying attention to the actual roads ...

So off I set, and within 20 minutes got completely and utterly lost. Bought a map and sorted myself out. You live and learn!

The car? A gorgeous blue well-worn Moggie Minor. CGW330H.