PT Cruise replacement - gmac
A friend of ours currently has a 3 year old PT Cruiser which is his company car (he is self-employed). He needs to replace it in the next couple of months (not in the UK) and is looking for suitable alternatives.
His wants are:
? A raised driving position.
? 2m (min. 1.8m) load bay length as he sometimes sleeps in the car.
? Something similar in size to the PT Cruiser.
? Petrol, it must run on petrol. No diesels?

He does not want another PT Cruiser as this one has been awful in terms of reliability; he is £3000 down over and above normal servicing and consumables on it.
He does not want a 4x4 either.
No. of seats are not important as there are only two of them, kids have left home though for work he does need a larger than average boot.
He is not a petrol head but I think the PT Cruiser is at the lower end of the performance spectrum. I don't know if a petrol Berlingo would be OK or not ?

My suggestions are:
? Citroen C4 Picasso or, original Xsara Picasso.
? Ford C-Max, possibly S-Max
? Maybe, a SEAT Altea (XL) not sure if it is raised enough.
? VW Touran
? Nissan Cashcow
? At a push a Renault Scenic or Vauxhall Zafira though, he may not remain a friend if I recommend either of these. Possibly even a FIAT Multipla ?

These are not the type of cars I would normally look for myself, my question; is there anything I've overlooked?
I had thought of the Mitsubishi pick-up types but his sleeping requirement may knock those out of the equation.

I'm just looking for a list of cars which I can then provide him with the details of, we can discuss, then he can arrange test drives.

Thanks,
gmac
PT Cruise replacement - Gromit {P}
The Fiat Multipla is unlikely to suit - they're short, wide and tall. The Picasso is longer front-to-back than a 5-seat Scenic.

If your friend considers the perfomance of a PT Cruiser marginal, a Berlingo isn't likely to fire his rockets! So, two questions: 1) does the car have to be new and 2) has he considered a van-based camper (I'm thinking of the VW California, but there must be others out there) with a proper bunk in it?
Thanks Gromit.
1. The car should be new or, max. one year old for tax reasons.
2. Although he may occassionaly sleep in the car, he also uses it to move lumps of metal around, he's a sculptor and makes scale models in his workshop.
PT Cruise replacement - tyro
Berlingo load bay is 1.54 metres long, so not suitable.
PT Cruise replacement - Vansboy
Mazda Premacy, or Mazda 5, if budget can stretch.

VB
Don't think budget is the issue here more what is a suitable replacement for a PT Cruiser.
I'd say he'd quite happily spend up to around low £20's k. for the right car as it's tax deductable for him anyway.
PT Cruise replacement - BobbyG
Definitely exclude the Altea XL, the rear seats don't come out and the backs only fold down (they don't tumble forward).

Does it need to be raised as with the sleeping length requirement, an estate would probably be better?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Does it need to be raised as with the sleeping length requirement an estate would
probably be better?

I suggested an estate car (Volvo V70 or Mondeo) and he admitted it ticked all the right boxes but after driving the PT, he would prefer to keep the height.
It may be he has to concede something, all cars, as we know, are compromises.
PT Cruise replacement - RaineMan
A few years ago a friend in a similar position got a compact camper van with a fairly basic trim spec. He could spend a night in it when required, make a cup of tea, etc. He really loved its versatility and being basic trips to the garden centre and tip did not cause any worries.
PT Cruise replacement - Altea Ego
Two of us slept in the scenic for two night at Silverstone. Take out the rear seats and its regular double bed size.

Touran ticks all the boxes. High, and you can sleep in it.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
PT Cruise replacement - ablandy
mazda bongo.................
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.
Keep them coming, they are only suggestions at this stage.
Can never have too many options.
PT Cruise replacement - boxsterboy
Well, if he's a sculptor, he will just HAVE to buy a .......... Picasso!!

A C4 Grand Pic should fit the bill nicely.
PT Cruise replacement - Happy Blue!
Subaru Forester - good for the height; mind you I'm not sure the rear will be good enought to sleep in. Alternatively an Outback - both have 200mm ground clearance; i.e. about 2" higher than most cars.

Volvo XC70 - V70 on stilts.

I like the Picasso idea!
PT Cruise replacement - blue_haddock
I was also thinking Subaru Forester.
PT Cruise replacement - pafosman
Its obvious! - Hyundai Materia ! No, come on lads unless you tried it.......... I stopped for fuel in a Hyundai dealer last weekend and there it was on the forecourt. Well at least it you could find it in the car park. I thought it looked like a cross between a PT cruiser and a Fiat Doblo - and be fair that takes some doing. If you absolutely nothing better to do with 10 minutes, try the Hyundai website, find the Materia and then go to 'accessories'. Could someone please tell me what a 'solar ashtray' is?

I fear your search may go on? but you did ask to keep the suggestions going!

Papho
Keep the ideas coming.
Like I said earlier just want to make sure evrything has been covered and I don't miss something.

Only downside to the Forester is the fact it's 4x4.
He can always have a test drive and see what he thinks. He doesn't have the need for 4x4 really. Doesn't go off road and winter tyres give him all the traction he needs for winter use.
Only downside to the Forester is the fact it's 4x4.

I wouldn't have thought it has a 1.8m load bay or a flat floor (it has a flat four, of course!) to fulfill the sleeping requirement.
PT Cruise replacement - pafosman
Well how embarressed am I ? or maybe that proves a point, it is of course a 'Daihatsu Materia'! Hyundai indeed - what a wally Rodney.

Papho
PT Cruise replacement - scrapmetal
A good suggestion for Hyundai. reliable cars IMO.

As for a Quasqai, a Nissan dealer in Lincoloneshire has a cash cow dressed as a cow.

Strange but true.
PT Cruise replacement - Avant
Toyota Verso? He may not need 7 seats but the back 5 all fold down flat.

A pity he's anti-diesel and the diesel Versos are fine whereas the petrol ones are a bit underpowered.
Diesel is pretty highly taxed in comparison with petrol where he lives and he doesn't to the mileage to make it worthwhile.

No one has mentioned Mercedes A or B class (just thought of it myself). Personal experience of the B class is a nice roomy car but the diesel engine definitely belongs in a farm vehicle. What are the petrols like ?
PT Cruise replacement - Mchenry
Nissan X-Trail, available as a 4x2.
High seating position, lots of glass for excellent visibility, well-equipped, reasonably economical and the rear seats go completely flat. If you remove the rear seat cushions (designed to be easily removed - one pin to pull out) there is a totally flat platform which I've slept on several times and I'm 1.85m
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I think we have a few to go at here, I'll let you know what he goes for (if anyone's interested)...Thanks again
He definitely blindsided me on his final choice?
Hyundai Tucson. Takes allsorts I guess!

To add insult to injury he was offered £2k for his 70k mile 2003 PT Cruiser.
I reckon he should be able to get double that without too much effort.
PT Cruise replacement - Xileno {P}
Yes, a quick scan of Autotrader shows that £2K is a ridiculously low offer. He must not let it go for this amount.
PT Cruiser replacement - tyro
Yes a quick scan of Autotrader shows that £2K is a ridiculously low offer.

The person who made the offer probably lurks in the Back Room and having read the OP, realised that this particular PT Cruiser was a pretty horrendous one.
PT Cruiser replacement - gmac
The person who made the offer probably lurks in the Back Room and having read
the OP realised that this particular PT Cruiser was a pretty horrendous one.

It's not a UK car.
I thought all PT's were pretty horrendous cars.
Nasty, nasty plastics inside and totally gutless engines in whichever guise you care to look at.

I think he was hoping I would offer him a few quid extra to take it off his hands but having been under the bonnet, it makes a FIAT Coupe look spacious in the engine compartment.
PT Cruiser replacement - normd2
I kid you not - there's a PT cruiser round here with flames painted on the front wings, the rest is bog standard. How to make a carp car look even naffer...
He does not want a 4x4 either.

I'm sure the Hyundai Tucson was a 4x4!!
PT Cruise replacement - wazza
Try Mazda 5. The rear seats can tilt back. As far as i know the front passenger seat can fold down so he can have like a bed to lie on. Have to check on this. At present there is a 3 year 0% interest free offer on with 50% deposit. I would recommend the TS2 model with the 16" wheels. The Sports model comes with 17" wheels and there has been well documented issues with heavy tyre wear with this model.

The rear door slides open so on a hot summer day he can sleep with the doors open and not cause an obstruction :-)

I'm sure the Hyundai Tucson was a 4x4!!

That's what I thought but according to the blurb it's available as a 2.0l front wheel drive.