What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Avant
The B-class is coming up for 18 months old and I think I can afford to change it somewhere between 18 months and 2 years old, avoiding too much negative equity on the PCP. Budget somewhere about £20,000 - I'll go with a PCP again.

Ideal -

5-door hatchback or estate, as although the children are grown-up it's surprising how often we need to take stuff in the back with the seats down). I do 20,000 miles a year and I want something I actually look forward to driving each day. Probably needs to be a diesel although the difference in cost neds to be measured carefully against the fuel saving.

Here's the shortlist so far in alphabetical order, though I'm of course open to other suggestions.

Audi A3 2.0 TDI (A4 isn't being discounted much so is probably too expensive) - very good to drive, and steering and handling more direct than the A4. Rear seats don't fold quite flat. But the combination of smallish body and beefy engine is tempting. I found the 140 had plenty of oomph - haven't tried a 170 but see Skoda below.

BMW 320 - these are being discounted heavily by Drivethedeal who don't do PX - other brokers who do may allow less than a dealer would. Excellent to drive, as expected, although manual gearchange disappointingly notchy. Handling sharper than an A4 though not much more than an A3. RWD which could be a pain on our sloping drive if we have snow and ice this winter. Whi can tell what the weather is doing?

Ford C-MAX - fun to drive - nice high driving position and lots of room in the back - but Fords don't hold their value well and I may not find the PCP deal very good. Mondeo sounds good but we don't need somethiong quite as big as that.

SEAT Altea XL 2.0 TDI - I can't get a demonstrator although I've tried a Leon with this engine and quite liked it. Seats don't fold flat and I'm not sure what it can do that a Skoda can't.

Skoda Octavia estate 2.0 TDI - I was very impressed with this: I was able to go out on my own in both a 140 and a 170. Hard to decide which is preferable: 170 has more poke but the sudden onrush on the turbo (always there in VAG TDIs) was less marked than on the 140. The A2 140 was even smoother. Lots of room: the heart may veer towards an Audi but the head says one of these is just as enjoyable. I didn't find the road noise a problem as TVM did when he went for the Altea.

Toyota Prius - if my driving was all in town I'd have one. Excellent in town and comfortable on a long run - but it's not at its best on motorways. Economy nothing special at motorway speeds, and accelerating to get up speed is as noisy as the B-class. I'm not a boy-racer but I like to get a move on, and this one is for very gentle drivers.

Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel - WilldeBeest has been a great help here (Verso ruminations thread a couple of weeks ago) and it might suit me better than him. Not as boring to drive as J. Clarkson makes out but a bit more prosaic than the others above. We don't need the 7 seats but folded down there is a good flat floor. Also our local dealer (Octagon Bracknell) is excellent.

VW Golf estate 2.0 TDI - I'll wait to try this when it comes out in mid- August. I've tried a Jetta 2.0 TDI with DSG - very pronounced turbo lag and much more so than the A3 or Octavia.

Dismissed:

Renault Scenic and Citroen Picasso - too wallowy round corners, and the Scenic I tried had trim rattling or falling off at only 7,000 miles.

Mazda 5 and 6 - road tests all say how noisy they are and noise is something I'm trying to escape from!

Honda Civic (great to drive but I don't think I can live with the appalling rear visibility); the Accord Tourer, like the Mondeo, is bigger and longer than we need.

Waiting for the new Laguna might be an option, possibly.

Finally the Volvo V50 2.0D isn't on either list as I haven't tried one yet.

Thoughts anyone? Would be very much appreciated. The broker Buy-a-car seem to have some good discounts and they do PX - anyone had experience of them?
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - mlj
Looks like you've got most things already sorted!
I can only think of cars you may have already discounted or wouldn't consider. The new Outlander perhaps. The Quashqai with the 2.0 Dci, or even a 159(?).
The only other car I can think of that might be of interest if you are not buying new with cash is the Volvo S60 with the D5 engine. Old model but well kitted and a serious performer.
Apart from that, can I be the first to mention Subaru? A Legacy Tourer perhaps?
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - daveyjp
800 miles covered in my A3 2.0 TDi 170 DSG since end off June. First minor fault developed - a badly aligned drivers window meaning the one touch up/down function has deactivated itself - car booked in for repair.

Other than that I'm enjoying it more than the 140. Slightly quieter and consumption is similar to the 140 - 38mpg on the last 25 litres - all urban miles. First long run is next week when I expect to do about 1,000 miles and I'm looking forward to it.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Altea Ego
My thoughts

Keep the new laguna off the list. Its a way off yet, and given Renaults variable build quality, a new model off the line from them is last thing you want.

The A3, Not sure how you have the A3 and Skoda estate on the same list. The A3 is quite small boot wise, and the Skoda is cavernous - real chalk and cheese choice.

If you want a test drive in an Altea, the best dealer I know is Perrys in Aylesbury. They are the UK SEAT fleet dealer. Failing that try MK SEAT, Milton keynes they are another SEAT business dealer.

I would go for the Skoda, It impressed me a lot, not a fun drive, but seemd to me to be a very classy well put together piece of kit, every bit the equal of an Audi. You need the upper models tho, its a bit sparse on the lower ones (it needs the centre armrest "jumbo box"), so as the 5 door boot is huge too, consider dropping the estate for a 5 door, and jumping up a trim level.

I wont offend you by saying how much I dislike the verso. (the car is passable- just - but the image is... well!)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Paul Robinson
Perhaps I can think 'outside the box' for you and suggest the Zafira B. Seems to fit all your criteria, recommended by HJ in the car-by-car. Very popular with the locals in the ultra wealthy area where I now live.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - a900ss
I would go for the Skoda ...

When I finally decided on the S-Max, I did look at the Skoda Estate and was very impressed by the kit and quality. The only thing that put me off (and it would be a deal breaker for me) were the seats. I found them very narrow and couldn't get comfy on them. I do 40k a year and it was a real no-no. However, if you fit the seats, it's a good car.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Nickdm
Echo TVM's comments above.

I'd like to recommend the Volvo V50, but I fear the Skoda will make it look way over-priced in comparison. That said, if your budget will stretch, the V50 with the D5 engine and geartronic autobox seems to fulfil your size/performance criteria perfectly.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Brian Tryzers
Re: Mazda 5 - I've read conflicting reports on interior noise. Some say it's commendably quiet, others that it's too noisy. Given its other qualities - I had a brief poke inside one while I was in Coventry's garage district this morning - I'm keen to try it and find out for myself. Space and quality both seem good. (Excessive noise would bother me, though - it was my reason for scrubbing the otherwise likeable Grandis off my list.)

As for the V50, I was in Cov to drop off my S60 for servicing, and I have an S40 1.6S for the day. Seems very pleasant to drive, reflecting its Focus origins, and I like the design of the interior. But it really needs something bigger than a 1.6 petrol engine (I don't think there is a 1.6 V50); and the audio system in the snazzy 'centre stack' is fiddly to use and sounds thin compared with the HU-803 in the S60; nor does the radio receive long wave, which means no TMS, which would bother me.

And what's wrong with the Verso, TVM? Seems to me much like the Altea, in that it's a shortish, upright estate-shaped car - more car-like than a Picasso or a C-Max. Perfectly pleasant to look at and very civilized to travel in. I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to put one on my drive; it's just a bit small for us.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Altea Ego
NOt going to be drawn out on the Verso WdB. It would denegrate a useful thread. Suffice to say I like cars to have a bit of class, style, panache or just sheer funkyness. All 4 if you can get them.
The Verso has none of these qualities. Seen through my bedroom window on my drive, it would not elicit a second glance, a desire to pop outside and wipe off an imaginary mark. In that respect it is much like the Touran. I wont even glance back with a twinge of regret when it goes. If it had any good looks or character I would even forgive it its mechanical failings. I cant.

A car like the Verso or Touran, is a head purchase, ruthlessley efficient and practical, no heart at all. I suspect Avant may have a little heart about him.

Skodas generally I dont like, the Octavia however seems to have grown into quite a classy understated wagon. Whip off the badges and it could easily be seen as a merc in the old style. The one I had in metalic blue looked really very classy on my drive. It felt just as classy inside.
Alas we didnt connect, but i can see someone liking it. A lot.

Hence on Avants list, My money is the Skoda.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - gmac
mlj hinted above at a 159.
A 159 Sportwagon with 1.9 150bhp diesel should easily be within your 20k budget, you may get lucky and find a broker with a 2.4JTDM 200bhp diesel within your budget (UK list is 23 to 26k).

The PCP will probably be unfavourable in comparison with some of the cars on your shortlist, get a good one and everytime you put the key in the ignition and drive you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Ed V
Tyre noise: wider, lower, "cooler" = noisier; thinner, higher, "boring" = quieter? I'd certainly look at Alfas too.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Archie35
Honda FRV?

Just bought a 2.2 EX Diesel - only driven a couple of hundred miles so far, so a bit early for a full assessment, but so far happy. I would say it has most of the requirements you list as useful...
--
\"Archie\"
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Bill Payer
Honda FRV?
Just bought a 2.2 EX Diesel -

My dealer lent me one for a weekend, and if ever there was vehicle crying out for a auto box, then this it. The whole gearchanging thing was just too frequent, and too much of a palava (dash monted gear lever etc).
Many thanks everyone so far - keep the thoughts coming!

I can see that having an A3 and an Octavia on the list might look somewhat schizophrenic - but the truth of it is that I'd ideally like another A4 Avant but that would probably be an extravagance as Audi dealers aren't discounting them much beyond the SE-for-free and satnav-for-£500 offers. So something has to give - either the feeling of well-being you get in an Audi or the extra room you get in an Octavia (I can afford the estate - hard to choose between 140 Elegance and 170 vRS).

Alfa 159 - I think I'd love this if the car were purely a plaything: but doing 20,000 a year, with part of my job being lecturing, means that I'm expecting the car to be a tool of the trade as well as being enjoyable to drive.

Interesting that no-one has gone for the BMW yet: if I'd ben asking a group of motoring journalists they'd have all gone for it without question. Good to be among a group of realists with open minds. One thing in favour of a 320 is that there seem to be better deals available than on Audis.

So far the Skoda perhaps has most going for it - try telling that to SWMBO....She'll have to have a test drive.
Sorry I didn't say anything about the Honda FRV - the kids are grown up now and wouldn't the middle front seat, which we don't need, get in the way?

I must try the Cashcow and Volvo V50, although the comment about the Volvo v. the Skoda seems to make a lot of sense.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Westpig
X Type estate?
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - cheddar
X Type estate?

Yep, the 2.2, stonking and refined.

C-Max 2.0 TDCi, good to drive, comfortable, facelift looks great, much pokier than quoted figures suggest, even though it is quoted 134 v 140 it is actually is more powerful and more torquey on a dyno than a VAG 2.0 140 and a LOT more refined.

Toyota Auris 2.2, the 2.2 D-Cat is a good engine though slightly torque shy below 2000 rpm (in the Avensis), the 2.2 Auris has a different chassis set up than other Auris and should handle well, better than the not that fun to drive Verso, and is quite spacious for its class.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - tyro
I notice that you don't seem to be considering a Berlingo. I can't understand that. :-)
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - PR {P}
Firmly in the Alfa 159 camp. Don't know why the 20k mile and needing it to be a workhorse should be a problem? I do nearly 20k miles a year in my 156 GTA and love every mile. Shock horror its been reliable aswell. I would advise a test drive, then I suspect you won't need this thread any more!
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - gmac
Italian cars aren't as unreliable as the old 'uns. I did 100k miles in a FIAT Coupe 20v turbo in four years with regular servicing.
I wouldn't expect any mechanical trauma with a diesel Alfa.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - DP
I too would expect the 159 to be reliable, but no car that haemmorhages value like an Alfa is going to be cheap to lease.

I've seen 6 month old 159 JTD Turismo's for sale with 20-30k on the clock for under £14k already! That's £21k new (at list)

Beautiful car, but definitely one to buy used at 12-18 months old.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - Xileno {P}
"Keep the new laguna off the list. Its a way off yet, and given Renaults variable build quality, a new model off the line from them is last thing you want."

Renaults built under Mr Ghosn's control (Modus, Clio) have shown a big improvement in build quality and reliability from their launch. This is undoubtedly partly due to Nissan but also credit to Ghosn as well. He is well known in the industry for fixing problems. Renault have eaten their black bread but it will take a while for the various surveys to reflect the improvements.
Clio IIs were always at worst average (better than average if ours is anything to go by), it was the compexity of the larger Laguna II, Espace and to some extent Megane II that has reinforced previous prejudices however I agree they should be fine now and later Megane IIs, Laguna IIs and Espaces have improved markedly.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - DP
later Megane IIs Laguna IIs and Espaces have improved markedly.

Our 54 reg Grand Scenic continues to be a pleasure to own, having clicked over 40,000 miles this week. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others. The op's comment that he drove a 7,000 miler that had bits falling off is worrying though. I can confirm on ours that every single button, switch, warning light and display does what it should do, and every piece of trim is where the manufacturer intended.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - boxsterboy
3-series?

A broker might be doing good deals from time to time but these will surely be basic poverty-spec models. By the time you add on the essentials they are no longer cheap.

Plus you would have to put up with run-flats, which would be a deal-breaker for me, however nice the car is to drive.

The A3 is quite nice, but again watch the prcie of the extras.

I think the new C-max looks a lot better since the facelift, and would probably go for one of those with a 2.0 TDCi.
New car shortlist - who's going to help? - boxsterboy
How about a 407 SW with either the 2.2 HDI Twin Turbo, or 2.7 VD HDI?

The looks of these cars have really grown on me and those are both lovely engines by all accounts.
How about a 407 SW .........>>
The looks of these cars have really grown on me >>

www.specsavers.co.uk

with either the 2.2 HDI Twin Turbo or 2.7 ....... and those are both lovely engines by all accounts.

Agreed.